Question Decent budget parts to pair with 3090

Sep 18, 2022
Visit site
Hey guys, my pc is several years old at this point, and I was looking into upgrading the parts one at a time as I save up for them.
Current specs: MSI z170 / i7-6700 / gtx 1060 6gb / Thermaltake smart SE 730w / 2x8GB 2133MHz / 1TB NVMe 4.0 / 2 TB HDD

I have very limited understanding about parts and compatibility, but I was able to get my hands on a 3090, only to learn how heavily it will be bottlenecked by the rest of my hardware until I upgrade pretty much everything since they all seem to be co-dependent.

I've replaced the PSU with an 850 gigabyte one to start off, and am now looking to replace the CPU, motherboard and get a coolant thingy. But I only have a budget of $500 to play around with for all 3 since I had to rush the upgrading process, and will look into replacing the RAMs with better ones at a later date.

After a bit of research, I found that an Intel Core i5-12600KF, MSI Pro B660M-P(or A if in stock) DDR4 LGA1700 and a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2 RGB Liquid Cooler combined end up at around my budget range, and pair decently with the 3090 considering the budget limitations.

This is where I require advice from people with more experience on the subject, is there something obvious I'm missing? Will the 850 PSU be enough for the system? Is there a better combination of CPU/Motherboard/Coolant I can go for that would still be within my budget range? Any additional advice or information is also appreciated.

I use a 165hz 1080p monitor, so I'm not looking for high end hardware that can run things at 4k.

If I missed some important information that you need me to provide please let me know. Thank you for your time and help.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
Hey guys, my pc is several years old at this point, and I was looking into upgrading the parts one at a time as I save up for them.
Current specs: MSI z170 / i7-6700 / gtx 1060 6gb / Thermaltake smart SE 730w / 2x8GB 2133MHz / 1TB NVMe 4.0 / 2 TB HDD

I have very limited understanding about parts and compatibility, but I was able to get my hands on a 3090, only to learn how heavily it will be bottlenecked by the rest of my hardware until I upgrade pretty much everything since they all seem to be co-dependent.

I've replaced the PSU with an 850 gigabyte one to start off, and am now looking to replace the CPU, motherboard and get a coolant thingy. But I only have a budget of $500 to play around with for all 3 since I had to rush the upgrading process, and will look into replacing the RAMs with better ones at a later date.

After a bit of research, I found that an Intel Core i5-12600KF, MSI Pro B660M-P(or A if in stock) DDR4 LGA1700 and a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L V2 RGB Liquid Cooler combined end up at around my budget range, and pair decently with the 3090 considering the budget limitations.

This is where I require advice from people with more experience on the subject, is there something obvious I'm missing? Will the 850 PSU be enough for the system? Is there a better combination of CPU/Motherboard/Coolant I can go for that would still be within my budget range? Any additional advice or information is also appreciated.

I use a 165hz 1080p monitor, so I'm not looking for high end hardware that can run things at 4k.

If I missed some important information that you need me to provide please let me know. Thank you for your time and help.
A 3090 for 1080P is pretty insane tbh. I'd sell it so you don't have to piecemeal your new build ... do it all at once which is the right way to do it.

A 3090 for 1080P is pretty insane tbh. I'd sell it so you don't have to piecemeal your new build ... do it all at once which is the right way to do it.

It is unless hes a competitive gamer where hes trying to match his FPS with the refresh rate of his monitor in certain games which is better for latency issues and stuff like that.

If you are using a 3090 i wouldnt gimp anything on my build. You bought a high end graphics card, so build a high end pc.

TRENDING THREADS