Dead Space 2022 CPU requirements on Steam! Ryzen 5 2600 MINIMUM!

Check out the new Dead Space CPU requirements on Steam : Intel I5 8600 or Ryzen 5 2600 MINIMUM. Not only weirdly high, but weirdly high for an action game.

Recommended is Ryzen 5600X/Intel I5 11600. But only 8GB RAM.

Guess its provisional, but what the hell is the next gen Frostbite engine going to need going forwards. They haven't released the GPU requirements yet.

It's going to be real easy to be a patient gamer if my PC can't run the new games.
:confused:

Seems UE 5 games have much more sensible requirements so far, I had a little look earlier, Ubi hasn't released any 'next gen' exclusive games so we have to see about those. Could it just be that Frostbite is a nightmare to use and optimize for so theyve bumped requirements to help prevent some of any performance backlash on release, or at least manage peoples expectations.

No, no, Frostbite isn't unfit for purpose, its your CPU's people.

Hope its not that, I'm looking forwards to Dead Space, and it'll be a real shame if its broken at release.

It occured to me that this is probably one of the first AAA games we are seeing that was designed from the ground up for the new generation of consoles. As they now have 8/16 CPU's in there of which I assume 1 or two is reserved mostly for system stuff, its actually possible that console focused games will require hex cores as a minimum more often going forwards.

COLGeek

It occured to me that this is probably one of the first AAA games we are seeing that was designed from the ground up for the new generation of consoles. As they now have 8/16 CPU's in there of which I assume 1 or two is reserved mostly for system stuff, its actually possible that console focused games will require hex cores as a minimum more often going forwards.
This comes as no surprise to me. Developers can move forward much faster if they focus on more modern tech and ignore the limitations of older stuff.

Some gamers are just going to have to upgrade to play the newest AAA titles.

This comes as no surprise to me. Developers can move forward much faster if they focus on more modern tech and ignore the limitations of older stuff.

Some gamers are just going to have to upgrade to play the newest AAA titles.

Its a big chunk of the PC market they're cutting out in that case. About 40% according to the Steam survey, not including those with older AMD CPU's and some of the older Intel E series which might have 6 or 8 cores but not the single thread chops.

Steam had 132million unique daily users in 2021 pandemic times, which is probably a fairish representation of the amount of PC gamers over all. PS5 has shipped 20 million units as of July. hard to find decent numbers for Xbox series but if we assume a 10 million more than PS5 its still nowhere near total PC numbers. With the world situation people arent necessarily considering buying new consoles as much, will publishers/developers want to leave large amounts of potential sales to PC owners and older gen console owners behind?

It'll be interesting to see if this is just a Frostbite thing as I said. If its happening for true more or less across the board for AAA games, then hopefully we see some real advances somehow in AI or physics that make it worth it. Is Dead Space the new Crysis ? :p

COLGeek

Its a big chunk of the PC market they're cutting out in that case. About 40% according to the Steam survey, not including those with older AMD CPU's and some of the older Intel E series which might have 6 or 8 cores but not the single thread chops.

Steam had 132million unique daily users in 2021 pandemic times, which is probably a fairish representation of the amount of PC gamers over all. PS5 has shipped 20 million units as of July. hard to find decent numbers for Xbox series but if we assume a 10 million more than PS5 its still nowhere near total PC numbers. With the world situation people arent necessarily considering buying new consoles as much, will publishers/developers want to leave large amounts of potential sales to PC owners and older gen console owners behind?

It'll be interesting to see if this is just a Frostbite thing as I said. If its happening for true more or less across the board for AAA games, then hopefully we see some real advances somehow in AI or physics that make it worth it. Is Dead Space the new Crysis ? :p
Just look at the uproar created by the hardware requirements for Win 11. Backward (especially endless) compatibility is a royal pain in so many ways.

I am not advocating for the trend, but do recognize why it is happening.

That being said, I am trying to help a member on TH set up a VM on a Linux based Socket 775 rig. Even when (if) he gets working, he will be sorely disappointed by the performance.

Sometimes, folks just have to let go and move forward.

Yea obviously everything moves forwards. I'm not really sure whats happening and the requirement could also be revised before release. Curious also to know if this is an outlier, both CPU companies are still selling quad cores at entry level, if they possible won't even play the newest AAA games any more thats not going to last long.

One scenario, the game runs like doodoo and isn't any more impressive for it than other games with less restrictive requirements. In another its a true generational leap in enemy AI and physics engine and whatever else strong CPU's enable, its kind of worth it, and sorry to those at the back.

This makes tons of sense with the data to back it up...

Lots of gamers still have low to mid-range hardware, so this might be the new era of...

"BUT CAN IT RUN CRYSIS DEAD SPACE 2022" memes. 🤣 no, really, it could be serious.
4jywme.jpg

but the 2600 is only 6 cores/12 threads. So its already below an 8 core CPU. Where is system meant to run since it lacks those 2 cores?
Sure, it cuts off all the 4 cores but well... have to go sometime.
Just move to only supporting Win 12 and cut off a lot of legacy right there.

Reactions: Pifanjr and Sarafan
but the 2600 is only 6 cores/12 threads. So its already below an 8 core CPU. Where is system meant to run since it lacks those 2 cores?
Sure, it cuts off all the 4 cores but well... have to go sometime.
Just move to only supporting Win 12 and cut off a lot of legacy right there.

I meant I believe that's how the PS5 and Xbox series work as i read it somewhere a while ago. Not the same for PC's as I understand it.

4 core flat has been poor for gaming for a while but the older gen I7's 3770k and up with 4/8 have been holding their own. The I3 12100 is really great for the money, and beats out older gen CPU's with double the cores handily, at least in average FPS. I wonder if the extra oomph the newer series have in single thread will continue to make up for the lack of cores or are games simply going to be required to have at least 6 full cores with no HT (I5 8400) to go to in this new gen of games, if thats even what this is.

Half of this stuff I say in the hope someone who understands this stuff better than me will drop by and correct me, or fill in the gaps :)

Reactions: Pifanjr and Sarafan
My last pc was a 4690k, it would be struggling now.

not many tri core CPU with HT around, are there. AMD stopped that sort of thing years ago.
I would think next hop would be 6c/12t, as the defacto for a long time was 4c/8t, unless they jump to 8c/16t

I can't see them jumping that far in one move. Considering the top range CPU range from 12 to 24 cores.
Once core count is higher I see them jumping to maybe 12/24 which is right now a 7900x - https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-7900x
Only one higher (apart from threadripper) is the 7950x which is 24/48

Since both consoles use AMD, its going to be something like that.

I don't know, I can't see the future

My last pc was a 4690k, it would be struggling now.

not many tri core CPU with HT around, are there. AMD stopped that sort of thing years ago.
I would think next hop would be 6c/12t, as the defacto for a long time was 4c/8t, unless they jump to 8c/16t

I can't see them jumping that far in one move. Considering the top range CPU range from 12 to 24 cores.
Once core count is higher I see them jumping to maybe 12/24 which is right now a 7900x - https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-7900x
Only one higher (apart from threadripper) is the 7950x which is 24/48

Since both consoles use AMD, its going to be something like that.

I don't know, I can't see the future

Tri cores? Maybe I explained something wrong. I'm pretty tired and sick.

The I5 8400 mentioned as a minimum spec is a flat 6 core without HT, it performed around the same as the previous gen 4/8 I7 7700k in games at release. Does Dead Space really need the full cores and are the logical ones not good enough anymore that games/OS cant schedule around it or whatever? I suspect it will work fine on a 4/8 CPU as long as the single thread is fast enough, but weird choice of minimum in that case.

Techspot in 2021 has the 7700K basically even with the 8700K despite having less (of basically the same) cores, and way faster than the Ryzen 2700X. Whats the reasoning behind these Dead Space specs? Am I overthinking it (yes) do I care that much? (No ;D) is it fun to speculate? (yes!)

Of course 6/12 is the next step up for entry level, low, mid range becomes 8/16 and so on.

its long ago in a distant time... 2008 - https://www.anandtech.com/show/2510 = though they didn't have HT as they only made to compete against dual core.

as for rest of questions, I don't know :)
wow, tri-cores existed back then? 🤔

I didn't know much about computers back then, but somehow hearing about this now, it's weird that 6 cores make sense to me but not tri-cores. 😅

I guess they never gained popularity.

Amd got lost for a few years. Before Dual core they were going well, they didn't see it coming and took a while to adjust, then took a wrong direction. Its only since Ryzen they actually made a challenge to Intel in a long time.

I don't look at CPU unless I am buying a new PC. So I don't know how all of them stack up. I stop looking once I have a PC as I know the new ones are normally better. It can drive you mad. I noticed I can't buy almost any of the parts in current PC as they all have new versions now. And its only 2 years old. Not looking at new AMD really. I can't afford all new parts. Just upgrade this one in a few places in next year or so.

Amd got lost for a few years. Before Dual core they were going well, they didn't see it coming and took a while to adjust, then took a wrong direction. Its only since Ryzen they actually made a challenge to Intel in a long time.

I don't look at CPU unless I am buying a new PC. So I don't know how all of them stack up. I stop looking once I have a PC as I know the new ones are normally better. It can drive you mad. I noticed I can't buy almost any of the parts in current PC as they all have new versions now. And its only 2 years old. Not looking at new AMD really. I can't afford all new parts. Just upgrade this one in a few places in next year or so.
I'm actually the same when it comes to judging CPUs etc. 🤣

pick one, future proof, etc.
look at games to play, check the specs
match specs, play. 😁

also I agree, when the ryzen series came out it was all the rage that it actually was a viable option to choose over microsoft.
at my next PC upgrade from my old i5, I'm picking up a ryzen.

Sarafan

Community Contributor

They won't jump that far in one move, but we can already expect games that have solid 6-core CPUs as a standard in the minimum requirements. Sometimes a game might appear that has 8-core CPU in the recommended configuration. The progress must go on. PC gamers are in a better situation than in the end of 90s and the beginning of 2000s, when a decent PC could become obsolete in a matter of 6 months. The popularization of consoles as a PC alternative slowed down the increase of system requirements greatly.

Now the skyrocketed prices of GPUs slowed down the increase even further. The developers can't make games for hardware that no one has in their homes. Probably a meaningful impact on the system requirements had also the introduction of DLSS and FSR.

I don't think that the requirements of Dead Space are shockingly high. It's not an open world game, that's true, but it's almost the end of 2022. I bought my Ryzen 5 3600 in 2020. That's two years and I expect it'll get me through 2023. That will be 3 years and I consider that it's good deal. We'll see what will be the requirements of games running on new Unreal Engine. I'm quite optimistic when it comes to CPU though.

as for rest of questions, I don't know :)
Shakes fist angrily Why not, damn you!

Now the skyrocketed prices of GPUs slowed down the increase even further. The developers can't make games for hardware that no one has in their homes. Probably a meaningful impact on the system requirements had also the introduction of DLSS and FSR.

Good point that the shortages and economy are going to have a strong effect on this.

AFAIK resolution scaling by whatever method is saving the GPU sweating and not helping the CPU at all. DLSS also only on RTX cards, but FSR can be made to work on anything I believe and can be used on most old cards, so that may help with low spec gaming going forwards as far a GPU's are concerned, interesting, hadnt thought of that :)

They won't jump that far in one move, but we can already expect games that have solid 6-core CPUs as a standard in the minimum requirements. Sometimes a game might appear that has 8-core CPU in the recommended configuration. The progress must go on. PC gamers are in a better situation than in the end of 90s and the beginning of 2000s, when a decent PC could become obsolete in a matter of 6 months. The popularization of consoles as a PC alternative slowed down the increase of system requirements greatly.

I don't think that the requirements of Dead Space are shockingly high. It's not an open world game, that's true, but it's almost the end of 2022. I bought my Ryzen 5 3600 in 2020. That's two years and I expect it'll get me through 2023. That will be 3 years and I consider that it's good deal. We'll see what will be the requirements of games running on new Unreal Engine. I'm quite optimistic when it comes to CPU though.

True, we've been blessed though the 2010's with not having to upgrade CPU so much. I guess its a lot to do with the PS4 and Xbone having those absolute dogs for CPU's, which were poor even at release compared to Intel CPUs of the time. The death of Moores law happening slowly in the last 10 years probably contributed to that as well.

One thing I forgot about, UE5 has to run Fortnite, so there's no way theyre not going to make it capable of working on every kids Nannas dual core netbook if required. Thats going to be on the developers how much of the market they want to sacrifice in order to push the envelope I imagine. For example Stalker 2 is coming to new gen Xbox and PC only and has these minimums via Steam which arent too intimidating.

Stalker 2: Intel I5 7600k (4c4t) /AMD Ryzen 1600x (6c12t).

I try not to repeat myself too much but I'm still confused if its not obvious :) . If its really 6 cores required then in my mind it is quite a jump when you consider how many old I7's that cuts out. If it isnt really needed then why pick the I5 8400 rather than saying I7 4770k, for example. Especially when some of those I7's (6700k 7700k) perform as well or better than the 8400 in gaming tests done up to now as I linked earlier.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Waiting to see what the other big publishers come up with, and how much the generational console leap gets staggered as we go on.

Its a big chunk of the PC market they're cutting out in that case. About 40% according to the Steam survey,
If they cut out 40 percent of Steam users, that sill leaves 72 million users, and those are probably the ones who buy 99 percent of the games.

Yes, I know a decent portion of the 120 million users may not even be active, but the point is that there are a lot of people in that 60 percent.

If they cut out 40 percent of Steam users, that sill leaves 72 million users, and those are probably the ones who buy 99 percent of the games.

Yes, I know a decent portion of the 120 million users may not even be active, but the point is that there are a lot of people in that 60 percent.
That was active monthly users, apparently there's over a billion steam accounts, though that's sure to include a lot of spammers, and so on.

True, its still a huge number even if they cut out the bottom chunk of those active users.

Waiting for the news that those minimum requirements are for 60fps minimum or something, and recommended is for 120+ :D

TRENDING THREADS