CPU cooling dilemma

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
Considering either purchasing Ryzen 7 3700x or Ryzen 7 5800x.

There is a good discount where I live now on amazon on the 5800x which allows me to get it at the same price as the 3700x. My only concern is my current CPU cooler which i don't want to have to change. I think it only allows for 95W temps. Which is more than enough for the 3700x (65W TDP) but not for the 5800x which is supposed to run at 105W. But, I've heard many say you can change a few numbers and fix/undervolt the 5800x for temps to be less hot:

"I changed 3 numbers and fixed the hot 5800x issues. Was very easy and only took 5 minutes. Stock voltage is too high. Change PPT to 120, TDC to 75, and EDC to 110. Great balance. Boosts to 4.5Ghz and stays under 80C under full load."

But I still don't know if it's wise to get something that will run at 80C when my cooler is only rated for 95W TDP. The baseplate of my cooler is apparently copper so i guess i can use liquid metal instead of normal paste which would also help i guess. Another good thing is that I won't be doing anything very cpu intensive. Mostly gaming, so I won't push it to its limits. So, I guess it could go well. But I don't know.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Brian Boru
Pretty sure the 5800X will be fine. You might find that it throttles a little but that just means it will probably limit the maximum frequency by 100-200 mhz or so over what you might get with a bigger cooler. It'll still be faster than a 3700X.

If it bothers you can play with undervolting it a little, but make sure you follow a good overclocking guide and make sure its stable. I wouldn't bother with liquid metal between IHS and cooler personally, its harder to clean up, conductive (dodgy on motherboard and around socket), and only gets you a couple of degrees for all the hassle.

Get the 5800X, its a better CPU, suck it and see. 80C is totally fine btw :)

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
Pretty sure the 5800X will be fine. You might find that it throttles a little but that just means it will probably limit the maximum frequency by 100-200 mhz or so over what you might get with a bigger cooler. It'll still be faster than a 3700X.

If it bothers you can play with undervolting it a little, but make sure you follow a good overclocking guide and make sure its stable. I wouldn't bother with liquid metal between IHS and cooler personally, its harder to clean up, conductive (dodgy on motherboard and around socket), and only gets you a couple of degrees for all the hassle.

Get the 5800X, its a better CPU, suck it and see. 80C is totally fine btw :)
Interesting. Thank you for your take.

By the way, I'm so dumb I just realized that the CPU comes with its own cooler which will be rated for it ofc. So, I guess I don't have to worry about. So, my choice now is only, do i keep same cooler and go for 3700x or do i purchase 5800x and use the included cooler. And you just answered. My only worry is this video, but then again, like I said, I'm no content creator nor will I ever use CPU to its fullest potential, so I guess, it doesn't concern me?

TRENDING THREADS