Question CPU: AMD vs. Intel for Writing Software

Oct 18, 2023
Visit site
Hello all, I am building my first gaming PC and would like advice on a brand choice of CPU. I’ve done some research on the differences between Intel and AMD with gaming vs. productivity, but I am still unsure on which I should choose. I will be doing plenty of gaming; however, I am also a student of English and am planning on writing plenty of stories and D&D campaigns with various softwares. As this will be with writing software, I don’t think it is going to be as intensive as image or video processing (though I may process a few images for mapping and concept), so AMD may work fine, especially since their processors are usually cheaper and they seem to be more geared toward gaming. Yet, maybe I should choose Intel as then processing writing won’t be an issue.
Here is what I plan to do with this PC:
  • 1440p Gaming (I am planning on getting a RX 7800XT)
  • Word Processors such as Word or Docs (won’t be as intensive)
  • Worldbuilding Software - map creation and imagery, world documentation (histories, races, etc.) (will have multiple programs running at same time for reference while writing)
  • Editing Software
Any help from people more knowledgeable than I is much appreciated!

Welcome to the forum :)

planning on writing plenty of stories and D&D campaigns with various softwares. As this will be with writing software, I don’t think it is going to be as intensive as image or video processing (though I may process a few images for mapping and concept)

You need have no concerns about this side of things. Writing and image processing hasn't been a problem for PC for at least 15 years. We do a lot of both in our business here.

Experts will comment on the rest soon, good luck :)

Hello all, I am building my first gaming PC and would like advice on a brand choice of CPU. I’ve done some research on the differences between Intel and AMD with gaming vs. productivity, but I am still unsure on which I should choose. I will be doing plenty of gaming; however, I am also a student of English and am planning on writing plenty of stories and D&D campaigns with various softwares. As this will be with writing software, I don’t think it is going to be as intensive as image or video processing (though I may process a few images for mapping and concept), so AMD may work fine, especially since their processors are usually cheaper and they seem to be more geared toward gaming. Yet, maybe I should choose Intel as then processing writing won’t be an issue.
Here is what I plan to do with this PC:
  • 1440p Gaming (I am planning on getting a RX 7800XT)
  • Word Processors such as Word or Docs (won’t be as intensive)
  • Worldbuilding Software - map creation and imagery, world documentation (histories, races, etc.) (will have multiple programs running at same time for reference while writing)
  • Editing Software
Any help from people more knowledgeable than I is much appreciated!
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mtmmP6/intel-core-i5-13500-25-ghz-14-core-processor-bx8071513500

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts