CLX Gaming PC

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
I want the absolute best gaming pc I can buy. This is the system I will be getting. Not sure if I should go with the AMD processor or the I9 Extreme.

• ProcessorAMD Ryzen™ 9 5950X 3.4GHz 16-Core
  • MotherboardASRock X570 Steel Legend
  • Memory4x 8GB Patriot DDR4-2666
    Total 32GB Dual Channel Memory
  • Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X
  • Operating System Storage480GB 2.5in Seagate BarraCuda SSD
  • Cooling SolutionCLX Quench 360 Closed Liquid Cooler
  • Secondary StorageSeagate 2TB 2.5in SATA3 BarraCuda SSD
  • Chassis SelectionRA A500 Mid Tower Gray
  • Chassis Fans3x Thermaltake Riing 120mm Quite Yellow LED
  • Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5 - 80 Plus Gold
  • Power Supply Sleeved CableSleeved Cable Set Black
  • Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 10 Home
Anything I should change or does it look good?

Hi!

This is quite the build, I'm assuming you want the best of all parts available. The 5950X wont necessarily get you that much benefit in games over a 5900x or 5800x but if you have the money..

You want at least 3200 C16 RAM, preferably 3600. Current AMD CPU's internal communication speed is tied to the speed of the RAM used, so it has an effect on gaming performance.

Strange that it has 2 SATA SSD's rather than an NVME drive, but for gaming the difference wouldnt be noticeable and its a decent amount of space. But if you're after the ultimate you'll want an NVME boot drive.

Other then that its pretty good. I'd have picked a different motherboard if I built it myself but its not a bad one as such. I cant comment on the case as I dont know what its like, depending on what youre paying for it, someone might be able to point you towards a build list that would beat this for the same or less, but then again at the moment maybe not!

Ok, I switched to this for RAM , and this for secondary storage. I don't know if I need two drives, but my gaming laptop does, so I put two in it.
What motherboard would you recommend?

• Memory 4x 8GB XPG DDR4-3200
  • Secondary Storage2TB Seagate Firecuda 510 NVMe M.2 SSD
Ryzen cpu's are memory dependant as in you want DDR4 3600 (2x16GB).

Last edited:
Ok, I switched to this for RAM , and this for secondary storage. I don't know if I need two drives, but my gaming laptop does, so I put two in it.
What motherboard would you recommend?

• Memory 4x 8GB XPG DDR4-3200
Personally for X570, I looked at the MSI MAG Tomahawk X570, and the Asus TUF X570 as being the best value for money. If you want bells and whistles the Asus Strix X570-E. Spend anything more then that and youre just spending money for the sake of it unless youre trying to set overclocking records IMO. There are others, but I'll keep it simple.

B550 boards are a better option for most people, but in your case you are obviously looking for the top end.

As @Why_Me says 3600 C16 is the sweet spot. But you can get dual rank per channel (which is ideal) by either having 2x16GB sticks or 4x8GB. The main difference being that 4 sticks can be harder to overclock, 2 sticks is generally more easy to get stable.

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
I have a rather large budget for this PC. I can spend a little more than $7,000.

Should I get an I9 Extreme or the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X . I can get this with either open cooling or closed cooling, which is better? I also changed the drives to NVME M.2.

Reactions: Aqil El montaqa
I have a rather large budget for this PC. I can spend a little more than $7,000.

Should I get an I9 Extreme or the AMD Ryzen 9 5950X . I can get this with either open cooling or closed cooling, which is better? I also changed the drives to NVME M.2.

The 5950x is the faster processor on average in games and by a wide margin for most productivity.

If you mean that you can get it with a custom open loop installed it should cool better and be quieter than a closed loop cooler. The catch is you would have to maintain the open loop by draining, cleaning, and replacing the liquid every year or two depending. Custom water cooling is a hobby in itself.

If that sounds like too much work a 360mm closed loop cooler would also work just fine.

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
The 5950x is the faster processor on average in games and by a wide margin for most productivity.

If you mean that you can get it with a custom open loop installed it should cool better and be quieter than a closed loop cooler. The catch is you would have to maintain the open loop by draining, cleaning, and replacing the liquid every year or two depending. Custom water cooling is a hobby in itself.

If that sounds like too much work a 360mm closed loop cooler would also work just fine.

Here is what I changed, I hope this is good. Will I get any performance gain if i up the ram to 32 gigabytes, and do i need to add raid?

• ProcessorAMD Ryzen™ 9 5950X 3.4GHz 16-Core
  • MotherboardGigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE
  • Memory4x 8GB Trident DDR4-3600
  • Graphics CardNVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3090 24GB GDDR6X
  • Operating System Storage500GB Seagate Firecuda 510 NVMe M.2 SSD
  • Cooling SolutionCLX Quench 360 Closed Liquid Cooler
  • Chassis SelectionRA A500 Mid Tower Gray
  • Chassis Custom Paint ExteriorPaint Color : CLX BronzePaint Technique : CLX Aurora
  • Chassis Fans5x Thermaltake Riing 120mm Quite Yellow LED
  • Power SupplyEVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5 - 80 Plus Gold
  • Power Supply Sleeved CableSleeved Cable Set Black/Blue
  • Operating SystemMicrosoft Windows 10 Home

@KingFastrod

RAID is no benefit for gaming, so not IMO worth it. 32GB is not required for most games, but its coming. Certain games like Cities Skyline and Galactic Civilizations will use it if its there, maybe MS Flight Sim, not sure. In a build like this I'd get 32GB these days..

Otherwise.....

The EVGA Supernova G5 is not a great PSU, not based on Superflower Leadex anymore, they changed OEM's to FSP with G5 update. Not garbage but there are better options for its price.

I'd also recommend an 850W model for a build with a 3090 and a 5950X. 750 is pushing a little close to the bone for my taste.

Seasonic 850GX, Seasonic Focus plus Gold 850, Corsair RMx 850w, XPG Reactor 850, Fractal Design Ion Gold 850W, are ones I can find good reviews of right now. I'm sure there are others but I dont have time this minute.

If none of those are available at your vendor, just get the EVGA G5 850w I am nitpicking a bit because your rig is very high end :)

The motherboard again is O.K but not really any better then the Asrock you selected before. Gigabyte 'Elite' is actually the name they use for their mid-range models for some weird reason.

Again if you can't find any of the models I mentioned earlier don't sweat it, but you could also look for the ROG Strix E or F if you wanted a slightly higher quality model with more connectivity and features.

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
@KingFastrod

RAID is no benefit for gaming, so not IMO worth it. 32GB is not required for most games, but its coming. Certain games like Cities Skyline and Galactic Civilizations will use it if its there, maybe MS Flight Sim, not sure. In a build like this I'd get 32GB these days..

Otherwise.....

The EVGA Supernova G5 is not a great PSU, not based on Superflower Leadex anymore, they changed OEM's to FSP with G5 update. Not garbage but there are better options for its price.

I'd also recommend an 850W model for a build with a 3090 and a 5950X. 750 is pushing a little close to the bone for my taste.

Seasonic 850GX, Seasonic Focus plus Gold 850, Corsair RMx 850w, XPG Reactor 850, Fractal Design Ion Gold 850W, are ones I can find good reviews of right now. I'm sure there are others but I dont have time this minute.

If none of those are available at your vendor, just get the EVGA G5 850w I am nitpicking a bit because your rig is very high end :)

The motherboard again is O.K but not really any better then the Asrock you selected before. Gigabyte 'Elite' is actually the name they use for their mid-range models for some weird reason.

Again if you can't find any of the models I mentioned earlier don't sweat it, but you could also look for the ROG Strix E or F if you wanted a slightly higher quality model with more connectivity and features.

I'm choosing what the vendor has on their site. I can go for higher priced ones but I'm not sure which 1 to get the only 1 they have that you had mentioned was the ASUS tough gaming. What about the Asus Rog crosshair VIII Hero? I thought I chose a 1000 watt Power supply. I can choose a better 850 watt power supply if that's what will make this system run better.

The Asus TUF is a bit better value then the Gigabyte Elite, similar specs and a bit better VRM (power supply basically) for the CPU. The Hero is too much money for little benefit IMO for a gaming rig.

If you prefer the look of the Elite over the TUF ,or even the Asrock Steel Legend any of those will work. Practically speaking the TUF is better value for what you get is all. If I was building a money no object rig I'd be willing to go up to the ROG Strix X570-E max, but I'm guessing they don't have that option. The Gigabyte Aorus Pro X570 looks good too.

850 Watt would be more than fine, I understood you're selecting from a vendors menu that why I tried to list a few better options for you. 1000W is overkill, no need to spend money for no reason.

Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
I placed my order on the 6th. Here is what I got.

• Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 9 5950X 3.4GHz 16-Core
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero - ATX
  • Memory: 4x 8GB DDR4-3600 XPG Spectrix D41
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6X
  • Operating System Storage: 500GB Seagate Firecuda 510 NVMe M.2 SSD
  • Cooling Solution: CLX Quench 240 Closed Liquid Cooler
  • Secondary Storage: 2TB Seagate Firecuda 510 NVMe M.2 SSD
  • Chassis Selection: RA A500 Mid Tower Gray
  • Chassis Exterior Custom Paint:
    • CLX Lapis Lazuli
    • Standard Factory Finish
    • CLX Aurora
  • Chassis Fans: 7x Thermaltake Riing 120mm Quite Green LED
  • Chassis Internal Lighting: No Chassis Lights
  • Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G5 - Plus Gold 850W
  • Power Supply Sleeved Cable: Sleeved Cable Set Black/Blue
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home
  • CLX Packaging: CLX Sarcophagus packaging
I got ups ground shipping. Should I change it to something better? I'm a little worried ups will damage it.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
I should be ready to upgrade to something like that in 6-7 years, so hang onto it, ok?
Very nice machine, much luck with it :D

Is there something better? UPS, DHL, FedEx—aren't they all much of a muchness? I rarely hear of damaged pre-builts.

I never thought I would have a. PC like this in my entire life either. I have been paralyzed as a quadriplegic for most of my life and the government doesn't like it when you get money from an inheritance they make you spend it

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jun 12, 2021
Visit site
After a very long wait I finally got my system. They had to build 2 of them because the freight company lost the 1st 1. I'm sure someone that works for T. force freight has a nice gaming computer at home now.
The 1st system had an EVGA 3080TI . The 1 I received on friday appears to have an Nvidia founders edition. Is 1 better than the other?

TRENDING THREADS