Cloud save question.

I seem to be seeing a lot of gamers saying cloud saves are unreliable but i am not sure what to do if something goes wrong with game after cloud saves are turned off.

EXAMPLE... i am currently using SATISFACTORY and i have almost 3,000 hours on it.
All the game data such as crash reports , logs and saves are in a file called FactoryGame ... in appdata Local.
After i have backed up that folder and something goes wrong with the game do i just delete the folder and replace it with the one i have on my back up flash drive.

I've been using cloud saves for games that allow them for years. I have only ever run into an issue a couple times.

Honestly I'd say use cloud saves, but also make a manual backup. Best of both worlds just in case one messes up on ya.

Reactions: Brian Boru
use cloud saves, but also make a manual backup. Best of both worlds just in case one messes up on ya
That's a good general principle. I have my main email accounts set to leave mail on server after I download to my PC—while I do backup mail locally anyway as part of routine backups, it's not really necessary.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of that.
ETA: Guess I had, it's in my notes—my infallible memory strikes again :D

Large list of supported games, altho some oddities—which are hopefully just bad data, eg the Civ series:

Sid Meier's Civilization® III
Sid Meier's Civilization® III: Conquests
Sid Meier's Civilization® III: Play the World
Sid Meier's Civilization® IV
Sid Meier's Civilization® IV: Beyond the Sword
Sid Meier's Civilization® IV: Beyond the Sword - Fall from Heaven 2 Mod
Sid Meier's Civilization® IV: Colonization
Sid Meier's Civilization® IV: Warlords
Sid Meier's Civilization® V
Sid Meier's Civilization® VI
Sid Meier's Civilization®: Beyond Earth™

So Civ1 & 2 not incl. 3 & 4 there with main expansions, but no expansions listed for 5 or 6.

Reactions: Pifanjr
APOLIGIES TO ALL ..... i just noticed i already did a thread on this but when i tried to delete this post it just said ....... oops we ran into a problems ..... i know some of the regulars on here are moderators so maybe they can delete it for me.

[Mod edit: threads merged.]

I dont have many games that use cloud saves but i am just wondering if i should turn steams cloud saves off and rely on the files not getting trashed on my pc.

Heres an example of why i wonder if its worth using steam cloud saves.....

I have been using Satisfactory almost every day for about 22 months and i have cloud saves turned on , at the end of a session i go back to desk top and have to wait a very long time for the cloud symbol to go from the games name and then i have to wait again for the 100% at the side of the games name to disappear. I then know i can close steam , from when i exit the game to turning pc off seems like forever but in reality it is only about 4 minutes.

As a matter of course i back up the satisfactory factorygame folder every few days to a flash drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cloud saves work pretty much instantly for me. If I had to wait 4 minutes, I'd consider turning them off as well. As long as you are reliably saving backups, I don't see any problems with turning cloud saves off. Or you could just switch them back on every few days to make an additional backup.

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
I use it because until recently I thought it was convenient, since you have quick access to your data from any device. And since I work from several laptops, this was my salvation, plus all this, I often need to share documents with colleagues. But suddenly I started running out of memory in the cloud and to be honest it took me by surprise. Because I absolutely don't want to pay for extra space.

moderators so maybe they can delete it

Merged threads since a few people had already replied to new one—it's all good :)

wait a very long time

How is it with games other than Satisfactory?

What's your Internet upload speed?

4m is way too long, if that's typical of all your cloud save games. My Steam and Ubi saves are very quick—as in, not noticeable.

entire folder is 156 mb and the individual save folder is 120 mb

120 MB—I'm assuming MegaBytes for file size and MegaBits for Upload speed—is = 960 mb, which divided by 6 = 160 seconds.

That's ~2½ minutes, could get to 4 with variable internet speed, or throttling by your ISP or receiving server, or whatever other network shenanigans go on these days—it's been years since I looked into the state of internet traffic.

Only solution I can think of is reduce your cloud saves to 1-2 files, and set up a Task Manager job to do a daily backup to the pen drive.

Oct 23, 2023
Visit site
If you look at it this way, there is nothing reliable; both cloud saving and local saving can fail. But I still save all the important saves locally on my computer, since I already once lost access to a lot of my cloud data and it’s somehow calmer this way

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts