Question Changing AIO water cooler

Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
Hello forum dwellers

I have a system i use for school. This system doesn't have a gpu, it uses the gpu in the cpu.

Specs
i7 6700k
Z270H- Asus strix motherboard
16G DDR4 2666mhz
Crucial P1 Nvme SSD
Cooler Master ML120

There is currently nothing wrong with the pump but its coming up 5 years old.
Option 1. Change the AiO to a newer 120mm or 240mm cooler (within reasonable price).
Option 2. Change to an Air Cpu cooler (either noctua or be quiet).
Option 3. Don't change anything the ML120 is okay for another few years.

Let me know your thoughts guys

What do you want the system to do that it currently does not?

If the answer is nothing, then option 3.

You should only need to replace the cooler once it's no longer performing properly and you can't fix it yourself (e.g. by cleaning it, or replacing the fan if the fan is what dies - or if it's just a question of volume, adjusting the fan profile yourself, or whatever.).

Reactions: Hyderzz
Sep 6, 2020
Visit site
What do you want the system to do that it currently does not?

If the answer is nothing, then option 3.

You should only need to replace the cooler once it's no longer performing properly and you can't fix it yourself (e.g. by cleaning it, or replacing the fan if the fan is what dies - or if it's just a question of volume, adjusting the fan profile yourself, or whatever.).

yeah like i said the system is running fine. Im just skeptical of the AiO water cooler is getting to5 years old. So i just wanna replace before say disaster happen.

Zoid

Community Contributor
yeah like i said the system is running fine. Im just skeptical of the AiO water cooler is getting to5 years old. So i just wanna replace before say disaster happen.
This cooler is unlikely to cause a disaster, even if it fails. What temperatures are you getting right now? You can use a program like HWInfo or MSI Afterburner or similar to monitor your CPU temps and see how well your cooler is performing.

With age, there a few ways that an AIO can experience reduced performance. The thermal paste can lose some effectiveness and efficiency as it ages (easy to check and re-apply), coolant can evaporate leaving air in the system and reducing cooling performance, or the pump or fans can fail.

Even a failed pump wouldn't cause a catastrophe, the water in the system would still soak some heat away from the CPU, and even if it did overheat, it would shut itself down to protect itself from real damage.

I'd say check your temps first, and if it ain't broke, save your money :)

TRENDING THREADS