Question Cant overclock Ram

Feb 8, 2021
Visit site
hi, my ram is currently running on 2400Mhz i want to overclock this to 3200Mhz.
i have installed the latest bios update on my motherboard, butt when enable XMP Profile 1 or 2 it doesn't boot up???
what is the problem here???

my system:
AMD Ryzen 9 3900x
Msi MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi
16GB Ram Hyperx Fury
RTX 2060 SUPER
Crucial P1 M.2

Are the sticks rated for 3200?

RAM can be finnicky. It's more than likely your motherboard/CPU doesnt like the XMP settings even if they are rated for that. First try clearing CMOS. How to do this should described in your motherboards manual. If that doesnt help then you could run a Memtest or other things to make sure you dont just have bad sticks.

You could also try switching the RAM to the other slots and seeing if it helps. Provided none of the above works then theres a couple of options.

Option one. Return the RAM and make sure you buy a kit listed exactly by part number on the motherboards QVL list you will find on the manufacturers website. Pray that they work.

Option 2 We are in the weeds. I suggest you back up any important files before you do this, as bad RAM settings can corrupt Windows meaning a clean new install might be needed.

The second option is to manually set your RAM timings. It might be best to use a guide like this. You'll need a couple of programs described in the video. Typhoon Super burner and Ryzen DRAM calculator.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GTekAB1Zzc

Someone else might have another idea, but I'd be going with the Dram calculator. It will just take more time and you might even get the kit workig faster then its rated at in the end.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Can you post up the exact part number of your RAM kit? It will be something like this : HX432C16FB3K2/16 I'm just interested to see if its on the QVL list for your motherboard. It doesnt usually matter so people are often blase about it, but sometimes it does, and I've had an XMP profile not work with my system before.

You can find the part number by looking on the box it came in or by downloading CPUZ.

Select the correct slot from the drop down and under the 'SPD' tab its this number here

uFk91c1.png

You should also really try clearing CMOS first and checking out the link to the Toms Hardware article I posted before. I'm fairly sure you dont have a bad kit because you say it works perfectly at standard settings, but its worth checking.

In case anyone is wondering why running 4 sticks as opposed to two is harder on some platforms, is due to the fact that the IMC(Integrated Memory Controller) doesn't always like to be stressed. It also boils down to silicon lottery and the BIOS/AGESA microcode you're working with. Latest BIOS update for your motherboard? Which version are you on?

I'd see if going into D.O.C.P or manually inputting the timings, frequency and voltages in BIOS and see if you can move forward.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Feb 8, 2021
Visit site
i bought new rams the G.Skill DDR4 Trident-Z 2x8GB 3600Mhz RGB this time my motherboard does support them butt still when i enable xmp profile 1 or 2 on 3600MHz it boots up butt running on 2133MHz.
i also tried manually overclocking butt nothing happened...

Feb 8, 2021
Visit site
im using corsair hydro h100i rgb platinum to cool my cpu.
i have done what u say, when i want to boot up with 3200MHz it go's in bootloop.
i have done a memtest with default settings for 4-5hours and it found 2 cpu error...

TRENDING THREADS