Question Can real-time strategy come back from the brink of death?

Page 3 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Jun 1, 2020
I think it might just be a question of waiting for it to trend back up, maybe via some indie release we just haven't foreseen. Ideally this indie game would feature some sort of new revolutionary mechanic that previous RTS games just haven't had, and this will then spur on other game companies to ride the wave of renewed popularity.

Jul 13, 2020
Strategy games were always a niche genre since you had to be really really good in order to get most of the game.
I've played most of rts games but mostly for the story and I consider myself a mediocre player. After years and years of playing.
Doubt rts will ever get a revival, its time has passed but there's always gonna be an audience but just not in millions.
And we all know millions matter.

Jan 8, 2021
It needs to be reinvented. The old school way is not suitable for today's style of gaming and gamers. I was there Gandalf, when Starcraft II came out. I saw Esports grow, Twich being born. I saw everything.

Jan 8, 2021
Actually, when Starcraft II refused to go freemium I have foreseen the downfall. But foreseen and done nothing indeed.

Jan 9, 2021
The golden age of art's may have passed. because the ip holder's of our beloved games are held by companies that doesn't seem to have an interest in rts anymore. But the interest by fans in the remastered game's when they aren't completely rubbish shows that the hunger is still there. Right now as a Warcraft fan I'm eager to find out what Frost Giant will deliver.

Reactions: Charliston B
Jan 24, 2021
I'm in the camp that hates the APM micro shenanigans. I want real-time-strategy not real-time-finger-twitching. I'm glad those games exist for the folks who like them but I stay far away. I kind of got a fix with Stellaris but the more I play it the more I want it to be worked on.

Most of the games I've seen that don't do micro aren't games you play in 30 minutes to an hour, they're much more long form games.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts