Question Can I play at 60 fps in my laptop. If my CPU can only reach the minimum requirement

Nov 21, 2021
Visit site
So to start, The laptop that I am using is Dell inspiron 15 7000 gaming, I'll put down my specs for reference:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 105
RAM: 16GB DDR4 Ram
No SDD

I can somehow play at 60 fps at some games like GTA 5, Fallout 4, Far Cry 5. But most of time is at lowest setting/

I've long been setting aside the games that I can buy(like witcher 3, Borderlands 3, Latest series of Assassin's Creed), but is recommended to have an i7 level of a cpu. Although my GPU and Ram fits with the requirement, I am afraid that I won't be able to play well, if I am only playing with an i5 CPU.

Hi :)

You have a quad core CPU. I3, I5 or I7, means different things according to whether its a laptop or desktop part and what generation it is. I'll interpret a bit for you

Thats a GTX 1050 GPU mobile with 4GB of dedicated VRAM. TPU has a handy little table there for relative performance. Its an average that will vary some game by game but good for quick reference.

Witcher 3 you are above minimums, as well as Assassins Creed Odyssey and Origins. Lowest settings should be playable at 1080p.

For Borderlands 3 on your GPU and also for Assassins Creed Valhalla your GPU is under minimum requirements. Your CPU though is above the minimum specs for those games according to the publishers. This means you might be able to run them at the lowest settings and by lowering resolution scale in the game options, but still performance may not be good.

You can check Youtube for specific games by entering GTX1050 mobile and the name of the game in the search there. You'll often find gameplay videos and guides that may help you configure game settings to help make things playable.

Nov 21, 2021
Visit site
Hi :)

You have a quad core CPU. I3, I5 or I7, means different things according to whether its a laptop or desktop part and what generation it is. I'll interpret a bit for you

Thats a GTX 1050 GPU mobile with 4GB of dedicated VRAM. TPU has a handy little table there for relative performance. Its an average that will vary some game by game but good for quick reference.

Witcher 3 you are above minimums, as well as Assassins Creed Odyssey and Origins. Lowest settings should be playable at 1080p.

For Borderlands 3 on your GPU and also for Assassins Creed Valhalla your GPU is under minimum requirements. Your CPU though is above the minimum specs for those games according to the publishers. This means you might be able to run them at the lowest settings and by lowering resolution scale in the game options, but still performance may not be good.

You can check Youtube for specific games by entering GTX1050 mobile and the name of the game in the search there. You'll often find gameplay videos and guides that may help you configure game settings to help make things playable.
Thanks! I'll try to play odyssey. I guess I'll put aside borderlands 3 this time.

Jan 24, 2022
Visit site
There is also one thing that you sadly cannot guess in advance when trying to determine how your Laptop will perform. Some games are very GPU intensive while others are very CPU intensive.

With that in mind, if you google the games, some might perform better than you expect

So to start, The laptop that I am using is Dell inspiron 15 7000 gaming, I'll put down my specs for reference:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7300HQ CPU @ 2.50GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 105
RAM: 16GB DDR4 Ram
No SDD

I can somehow play at 60 fps at some games like GTA 5, Fallout 4, Far Cry 5. But most of time is at lowest setting/

I've long been setting aside the games that I can buy(like witcher 3, Borderlands 3, Latest series of Assassin's Creed), but is recommended to have an i7 level of a cpu. Although my GPU and Ram fits with the requirement, I am afraid that I won't be able to play well, if I am only playing with an i5 CPU.

Your CPU should be alright for a year or two, developers haven't improved their skills to make use of more than 4 threads for games, your CPU has 4 cores and processes 4 threads. It is your GPU, GTX 1050 which will cause problems for games, but I think it should be able to run Witcher 3, Borderlands 3 and Assassin's Creed Valhalla at 30 ~ 40 fps at low settings(some medium settings for Witcher 3) at 720p resolution.

To answer your main question, it will run old games at 60fps or more but with newer games it will struggle to run at 60fps but will still provide playable performance if you lower your settings. As laptops have small screens, if you sit few away from the laptop screen, I doubt you'll be able to notice the low settings. But the good thing is most games which are getting released now have resolution scalability setting, which can reduce the resolution at challenging scenes to make the game run smoother.

You can also improve your laptop's gaming performance by replacing it's HDD with an SSD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS