Solved Can anyone pinpoint my PC problem?

Feb 18, 2021
Visit site
Hello, about a year ago, I upgraded most of the components in my PC. Everything but the GPU, SSD, and PSU. Every now and then (seemingly random) my PC just locks up / freezes. It seems to happen most when the PC is either idle or has a video / stream playing for a while. It happened recently with only Discord and iTunes open (playing music), as well as normal programs like NZXT CAM, and my GPU program. All I'm able to do with the PC when this occurs is move my mouse around and move windows but almost nothing else works. For example, I can right click my desktop and hit refresh, and the refresh logo stays on the screen. I can also move windows but then they immediately freeze again. I can also hit shutdown but it just stays there indefinitely saying shutting down, but it never turns off, so I have to hold down the power button. I upgraded to a Ryzen 7 3800x, 32GB RAM, and brand new MOBO and case. My first step was replacing the PSU, since it was making a weird noise and it was under warranty, but that didn't fix it. I also tried Windows 10 Home and Pro, and replaced the SSD with an m.2 with no fix. I've done almost everything imaginable software wise, so I'm assuming it's a piece of hardware. Can anyone tell me what could be the problem? I have a GTX 1080 from 2016 and I'm thinking it may be the cause, but want to be sure / get more opinions before making any more investments. The GPU is the only thing that does not have a warranty, so it would have to be a full replacement which is obviously pretty hard right now :( It did start happening right as I upgraded, or a bit before, I forget. Please give me your opinion on what you think the cause it, because I've lived with it for almost a year now.

Feb 18, 2021
Visit site
Its not the gpu, if it was you'd notice it right away with distorted graphics and stuff on your screen.

Have you tried tinkering with power settings ?
Yeah I'm on high performance, turned off anything sleep related, even somehow turned off the ability to sleep mode the PC. Could it be scheduled defragging? Just turned that off

TRENDING THREADS