Building new system for son

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Kaamos_Llama

Jan 31, 2020
760 is quite a jump up on a 750Ti both in power and power requirement so yes I suggest you pick up a new PSU.

Whats your budget?

Something like this would do, its the same price as the 550W model, so may as well take the extra.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cY2bt6/corsair-cv-650-w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020211-na

PSU's also seem expensive at the moment, hard to find much for cheaper. I dont like to recommend anything I cant find a review from a legitimate site for, but EVGA has some cheaper models and at least i know their warranty is good FWIW.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021
760 is quite a jump up on a 750Ti both in power and power requirement so yes I suggest you pick up a new PSU.

Whats your budget?

Something like this would do, its the same price as the 550W model, so may as well take the extra.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cY2bt6/corsair-cv-650-w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020211-na

PSU's also seem expensive at the moment, hard to find much for cheaper. I dont like to recommend anything I cant find a review from a legitimate site for, but EVGA has some cheaper models and at least i know their warranty is good FWIW.
Thanks again!! Found an EVGA that seems to fit the bill and was reasonably priced.

Sep 21, 2020
I would just use that GTX card you have and go from there. Adding that ram is still an ok thing to do, you bought it so put it in. Just make sure you DO NOT use your current ram with it, It most likely does not match for speeds. Basically rule of thumb you always match ram.

But seeing you have everything now, you could get a power supply that you could use for future builds as well.

So getting a new PS wouldn't be a horrible idea if you can swing it. I personally would get a 650, that will let you use one of the newer generation cards and if you end up getting said new card in the next few years it would save you from having to buy another power supply.

Here are two i found, Had i seen this one a few months ago i would of grabbed it. :) It's got funky colors which look cool through a glass side case. A solid PS either way.

This one is a little more budget minded, save yourself 25 bucks, but it's still fully modular. (all wires plug in verse some always there) It makes for cleaner builds and less extra wires that do nothing which sometimes is a lot.

this is the PS i bought for myself. I'm going to be adding a 3060 TI GPU eventually so this will be a perfect card for that. It's a gold verse bronze rating. which honestly i don't really know if in the end there is a huge difference. I think in theory the golds are better, but i've also used 40 dollar PS's and never had an issue.

Feb 12, 2021
I would just use that GTX card you have and go from there. Adding that ram is still an ok thing to do, you bought it so put it in. Just make sure you DO NOT use your current ram with it, It most likely does not match for speeds. Basically rule of thumb you always match ram.

But seeing you have everything now, you could get a power supply that you could use for future builds as well.

So getting a new PS wouldn't be a horrible idea if you can swing it. I personally would get a 650, that will let you use one of the newer generation cards and if you end up getting said new card in the next few years it would save you from having to buy another power supply.

Here are two i found, Had i seen this one a few months ago i would of grabbed it. :) It's got funky colors which look cool through a glass side case. A solid PS either way.

This one is a little more budget minded, save yourself 25 bucks, but it's still fully modular. (all wires plug in verse some always there) It makes for cleaner builds and less extra wires that do nothing which sometimes is a lot.

this is the PS i bought for myself. I'm going to be adding a 3060 TI GPU eventually so this will be a perfect card for that. It's a gold verse bronze rating. which honestly i don't really know if in the end there is a huge difference. I think in theory the golds are better, but i've also used 40 dollar PS's and never had an issue.

Thanks. I picked up a 650W PSU arriving tomorrow and my buddy has a GTX780 he's going to let me borrow until the prices come down. I put the RAM in last night and worked no problem, the speeds were the same (I double checked before I bought it).

Sep 21, 2020
awesome! Let us know how it works. BTW are you doing a fresh install? You also might wanna check the bios version as well, see if it needs any critical updates while your at it. Just jump into the bios when the comp is starting and check the version. Then exit with out saving. You might need to to a little adjusting anyway, but it's always worth checking that first. Sometimes they get a stability patch after they launch.

Nice you found matching ram, i always find that an issue if i'm buying something years old. I wanted to add 4GHZ to my system as i'm converting it to a encoding machine but my only option was just buy all new ram, i could not find the match, seams like it's not made anymore. I still might as DDR3 is actually getting harder to find. I figure this system will do that job for years to come, so it's worth having a spare :)

Feb 12, 2021
awesome! Let us know how it works. BTW are you doing a fresh install? You also might wanna check the bios version as well, see if it needs any critical updates while your at it. Just jump into the bios when the comp is starting and check the version. Then exit with out saving. You might need to to a little adjusting anyway, but it's always worth checking that first. Sometimes they get a stability patch after they launch.

Nice you found matching ram, i always find that an issue if i'm buying something years old. I wanted to add 4GHZ to my system as i'm converting it to a encoding machine but my only option was just buy all new ram, i could not find the match, seams like it's not made anymore. I still might as DDR3 is actually getting harder to find. I figure this system will do that job for years to come, so it's worth having a spare :)
Thanks for the advise on the BIOS, I'll def check it out. Did a fresh install of Windows 10 last night, everything seems to be working so far. Got minecraft Java up and running so once I hand the machine over to him we'll see how it plays.

Been a fun experience. I haven't even opened a PC is over 15 years, I'm a Mac guy personally. So it has been cool to learn about all the new tech and yet at the same time how really not much has changed fundamentally.

Sep 21, 2020
awesome.. One last thing don't forget to double check your chipset drivers. Those often get new versions as well. Sometimes people forget to install them all together! Here is the main page for that motherboard so you can check all the versions of everything. https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/970-GAMING.html

also, you can install this. https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy It's a simple monitoring tool that checks temps and other little things. Basically it's a good way to know if everything is ok with your system. Some games need to be tweaked because they force the GPU to run to hot. Turning on Vsync typically fixes that. but this is a good way to know.

And, finally head on over to https://www.userbenchmark.com and download and run the little test program. You will get a read out saying how your stuff is comparing to other parts similar to yours. It also sometimes will have a pop up box with info about how you can tweak things to get better performance. Not always, but sometimes it does find something you can do. It's worth the few mins and besides you can see how all your hard work has paid off.

Glad you enjoyed your project. It's nice when it all works out in the end. Good job, i hope your grandson enjoys it!

Feb 12, 2021
awesome.. One last thing don't forget to double check your chipset drivers. Those often get new versions as well. Sometimes people forget to install them all together! Here is the main page for that motherboard so you can check all the versions of everything. https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/970-GAMING.html

also, you can install this. https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy It's a simple monitoring tool that checks temps and other little things. Basically it's a good way to know if everything is ok with your system. Some games need to be tweaked because they force the GPU to run to hot. Turning on Vsync typically fixes that. but this is a good way to know.

And, finally head on over to https://www.userbenchmark.com and download and run the little test program. You will get a read out saying how your stuff is comparing to other parts similar to yours. It also sometimes will have a pop up box with info about how you can tweak things to get better performance. Not always, but sometimes it does find something you can do. It's worth the few mins and besides you can see how all your hard work has paid off.

Glad you enjoyed your project. It's nice when it all works out in the end. Good job, i hope your grandson enjoys it!
Thanks for this. I'll check these out. So far my son loves it. Took some tweaks on minecraft to get it to run without some lag but got that done. I'm already thinking about the next upgrade to a newer MB and CPU but will likely wait a bit and see if prices go down. I will eventually need to return the GPU that my friend let me borrow as well.

Sep 21, 2020
Your going to want to upgrade the vid card first, a new CPU with that card won't be much of an improvement. You could also your bios to see if the board has a Boost option. I would think it does. It's basically a standard overclock, comp uses a bit more power but has bit better performance. It's a kind of overclock that doesn't void the warranty as the chip/board are made to run under it.

With luck those new 3060ti cards will be in stock sometime this summer, or perhaps fall, or maybe you can get lucky and grab one from one of the places that are selling them. They go on sale on the 25th

Feb 12, 2021
Your going to want to upgrade the vid card first, a new CPU with that card won't be much of an improvement. You could also your bios to see if the board has a Boost option. I would think it does. It's basically a standard overclock, comp uses a bit more power but has bit better performance. It's a kind of overclock that doesn't void the warranty as the chip/board are made to run under it.

With luck those new 3060ti cards will be in stock sometime this summer, or perhaps fall, or maybe you can get lucky and grab one from one of the places that are selling them. They go on sale on the 25th
You'd suggest upgrading the GTX780 a new MOB, CPU, and RAM?

Sep 21, 2020
Upgrade the vid card first.. CPU, MB, ram can be done in a few years, or more. that stuff on your system is fine, it's the vid card that is the issue.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts