Question Budget Upgrade 600 $

Oct 21, 2022
Visit site
Hello,

I am looking for a possibility to upgrade my current system.

Would you suggest overclocking the Cpu or buying a new GPU might help?

Thanks for any advice

My current System

CPU: Intel Core I5 6500

GPU: GTX 970

Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme 4

Power Suply: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W Gold

RAM: 4x 4gb

SSD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB

Approximate Purchase Date:
I have time
Budget Range: 600 $

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming
Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: I am open to Suggestions

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon

Parts Preferences: I don’t have any preference

Overclocking: I haven’t overclocked nothing yet. I am open to overclocking

SLI or Crossfire: I was initially planning to for SLI but never got to it, so I am open to SLI

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:
Prefer decent performance for the cost

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: Having problem running World of Warcraft: Dragonflight – aiming to update the system so it holds the game at 60 fps during Raids

Hi and welcome :)

You would have to have a 'K' series CPU, 6600K in order to overclock the CPU, it wouldnt really help you very much anyway.

However you could pick up an I3 12100F and a B660 DDR4 motherboard. Use the RAM and otyher components you already have, and grab a GPU with whatever is left?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100F 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor (3259.00Kč @ Alza)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B660M-A D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (3129.00Kč @ Alza)
Video Card: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card (8690.00Kč @ Alza)
Total: 15078.00Kč
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-21 21:55 CEST+0200

Google tells me $600 is around 15000 Koruna? If thats correct something similar to this would get you a big boost in performance.

GIGABYTE B660M GAMING X DDR4

https://www.alza.cz/g-skill-16gb-kit-ddr4-3200mhz-cl16-gaming-series-aegis-d5683232.htm
G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3200MHz 16GB (2x8GB) CL16

https://www.alza.cz/silentiumpc-fera-5-d6438696.htm
SilentiumPC Fera 5

Intel Core i5-12400F

i5 12400 / 12400F gaming benchmarks.

i512400.jpg

Oct 21, 2022
Visit site
Hi and welcome :)

You would have to have a 'K' series CPU, 6600K in order to overclock the CPU, it wouldnt really help you very much anyway.

However you could pick up an I3 12100F and a B660 DDR4 motherboard. Use the RAM and otyher components you already have, and grab a GPU with whatever is left?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100F 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor (3259.00Kč @ Alza)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME B660M-A D4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (3129.00Kč @ Alza)
Video Card: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card (8690.00Kč @ Alza)
Total: 15078.00Kč
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-10-21 21:55 CEST+0200

Google tells me $600 is around 15000 Koruna? If thats correct something similar to this would get you a big boost in performance.

Thanks for the welcome and for the component suggestions,

I found that I might overclock my CPU in this video :

Skylake Non-K CPU Overclocking with an i5-6500
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK94qZLW1VI

I am not sure about the performance boost but if I could get some decent cooling I might squeeze a little bit more from the system and save some $.

In this case any suggestions about cooling? Any kind?

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Thanks for the welcome and for the component suggestions,

I found that I might overclock my CPU in this video :

Skylake Non-K CPU Overclocking with an i5-6500
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK94qZLW1VI

I am not sure about the performance boost but if I could get some decent cooling I might squeeze a little bit more from the system and save some $.

In this case any suggestions about cooling? Any kind?

I'd forgotten you could overclock the baseclock on Skylake. By all means if you have the time and willingness to experiment and test properly. Just dont expect miracles. Hes getting 26% more in Cinebench, but that probably wont translate 1:1 to frame rates in a game. Also bear in mind your CPU may not overclock as far as in the video, or it may go slightly more. Your settings will most likely be different too, you wont know until you start testing.

If you got the same as Paul in the video I had a bit of a scout of comparitive reviews and scores for these chips, it would put you in the ballpark of the performance of an Intel 7600K, which aint nothing from where you started. :)

According to these tests WOW will scale to at least 6 cores, a flat quad core like you have is bare minimum, so its likely that you wont get earth shattering gains from an overclock here.

My advise: overclock first and see how much it helps. I personally wouldnt spend your whole budget on a new GPU to go with your current system, I'd save it and upgrade both CPU and GPU down the road if you still wanted more. You wont see the whole benefit of a new card with what you have.

Oct 21, 2022
Visit site
I'd forgotten you could overclock the baseclock on Skylake. By all means if you have the time and willingness to experiment and test properly. Just dont expect miracles. Hes getting 26% more in Cinebench, but that probably wont translate 1:1 to frame rates in a game. Also bear in mind your CPU may not overclock as far as in the video, or it may go slightly more. Your settings will most likely be different too, you wont know until you start testing.

If you got the same as Paul in the video I had a bit of a scout of comparitive reviews and scores for these chips, it would put you in the ballpark of the performance of an Intel 7600K, which aint nothing from where you started. :)

According to these tests WOW will scale to at least 6 cores, a flat quad core like you have is bare minimum, so its likely that you wont get earth shattering gains from an overclock here.

My advise: overclock first and see how much it helps. I personally wouldnt spend your whole budget on a new GPU to go with your current system, I'd save it and upgrade both CPU and GPU down the road if you still wanted more. You wont see the whole benefit of a new card with what you have.

Yea thanks for the suggestion and the article. Will be handy in the future.

I will try to overclock my system and see what I get. I will save the rest and eventually make a new decent system.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Yea thanks for the suggestion and the article. Will be handy in the future.

I will try to overclock my system and see what I get. I will save the rest and eventually make a new decent system.
I noticed in the commentary he states that 4 cores is enough except when you need other processes in the background. But when you look at the charts the 0.1 % low frame rates (big frame dips that are very noticeable) in some of the tests are over 40% higher with 6 cores than 4, which is what I was looking at.

Anyway, good luck with the OC. I'd be interested to hear you results once your done.

Reactions: Alm and Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS