Budget pc build $600-700

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I have never built a pc before and now I do my gaming on an xbox one. I would like to get into pc gaming though. I have read that building is much better than buying a premade one. What is the best tutorial for building one and what should I put together to get something around $600? I do not mind using used parts or older parts if they are still holding up to todays standards. Also is this a reasonable amount to spend to get a decent budget rig? Thank you!

*Edit
I currently already have a desktop and this is what it is

Lenovo 90-BG
Processor AMD A10-7800 Radeon R7, 12 Compute Cores 4C+8G 3.50 GHz
Installed RAM 12.0 GB (10.9 GB usable)

Is this something I can add onto or should I start from scratch?

Or should I just connect a mouse and keyboard to my xbox? I am a casual gamer (3-4 hrs a week)

Hi and welcome :)

Your current system isn't going to be up to snuff for any modern games, and no point throwing money after it. I'm assuming you'd like to play newer 3d action games? If you can sell it and add it to the budget, every dollar would help here.

Its very hard to recommend people used parts in a forum like this. So much depends on the price being asked and condition. You could build something like the list below new that would play all current and near future games at 1080p quite well.

I assume you have a TV you will use as a display? In this budget it would be very tight to fit in a monitor.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100F 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($106.99 @ Amazon)
Thermal Compound: ARCTIC MX-4 2019 Edition 4 g Thermal Paste ($5.40 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO H610M-G DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($66.44 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Speedster SWFT 210 Radeon RX 6600 8 GB Video Card ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake Versa H18 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($48.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 500 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($69.90 @ B&H)
Case Fan: ARCTIC F12 TC 53 CFM 120 mm Fan ($9.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: ARCTIC F12 TC 53 CFM 120 mm Fan ($9.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $708.65
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-03 03:09 EST-0500

You may need to add in a Wifi 6 network card, and pick up a cheap keyboard mouse combo on top fro somewhere to get started. Its stretching the budget I know, sorry.

You can download Windows 11 to a USB and install it without activating it. You can use it indefinitely like this and its legal. It will just bug you to get a license and some features arent available after a while. It will play games without any problems. You can grab a license later on when you have the cash.

If you wanted to get to $600, drop down to a Radeon 6500 graphics card. Its almost half as fast as the RX 6600 though, so really worth the cost. A lot of second hand graphics cards right now may have been used hard for Crypto currency mining, personally I wouldnt take a risk on one.

You might wonder why I didn't use a cheaper power supply. Its because I cant recommend anything less then that with good conscience, knowing it could fail with a couple of years use and take other parts with it. You need the case fans for the same reason.

The other option would be to just get an Xbox Series S or X. They really are quite powerful at this budget range compared to a PC of the same price. Building a PC is more fun and versatile IMO, but obviously I have a huge bias ;)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL4DCEp7blY

Any more questions or thoughts let us know :)

TRENDING THREADS