Budget Hardware and Software Upgrade Recs?

Mar 1, 2024
Visit site
I am looking to upgrade my computer, linked here, as much as possible for below $100. My motherboard linked here shows what upgrades it can take.

Because of budget, all I can think of now is reapplying thermal paste (used this computer for years) and buying this new 3733mhz 16GB RAM to replace my 2666mhz older ram for $65.

My computer has a big issue with low GPU usage (60% usage and only getting 40-50fps on 1080p medium/low gaming). I would love to hear any other things I can do with a $100 budget like possible software that could help increase GPU usage.

I know the best thing ultimately would be a CPU upgrade but I can't get it now.

Hi and welcome, great info in your post on your situation.

According to specs the Intel H370 chipset it uses does not allow for RAM faster than 2666mhz. To set it to the correct speed you would have to enable the correct XMP setting in the system BIOS. I'm pretty sure you wont be able to set higher when you look there.

On the CPU, technically H370 supports Intel 9th generation CPU's with the latest BIOS updates. But with your system being an HP prebuilt with a proprietary motherboard, I'm not 100% sure that they would have added that support in. Also the I9 9900K which would be the fastest CPU on that socket also uses more power than a I7 8700 and the motherboard and cooling of the system is not specced to support that amount of heat in the long term. Finally, it wouldnt be a huge upgrade anyway.

The best upgrade for that kind of money would probably be a good quality 1TB NVME drive to store your games on. There's nothing short of a CPU and motherboard upgrade that will help your GPU usage, so I would put your money aside for that in your situation. Theres no software to help when hardware gets older.

If you have more questions, feel free. Someone may have some ideas other than what Ive said still, but I think I covered most of it.

Mar 1, 2024
Visit site
Hi and welcome, great info in your post on your situation.

According to specs the Intel H370 chipset it uses does not allow for RAM faster than 2666mhz. To set it to the correct speed you would have to enable the correct XMP setting in the system BIOS. I'm pretty sure you wont be able to set higher when you look there.

On the CPU, technically H370 supports Intel 9th generation CPU's with the latest BIOS updates. But with your system being an HP prebuilt with a proprietary motherboard, I'm not 100% sure that they would have added that support in. Also the I9 9900K which would be the fastest CPU on that socket also uses more power than a I7 8700 and the motherboard and cooling of the system is not specced to support that amount of heat in the long term. Finally, it wouldnt be a huge upgrade anyway.

The best upgrade for that kind of money would probably be a good quality 1TB NVME drive to store your games on. There's nothing short of a CPU and motherboard upgrade that will help your GPU usage, so I would put your money aside for that in your situation. Theres no software to help when hardware gets older.

If you have more questions, feel free. Someone may have some ideas other than what Ive said still, but I think I covered most of it.
Thanks for the advice

Part of it I realized is also games that I can't change, like new games only using 1 cpu core (annoying!). I will try undervolting because I think CPU heat throttling is a big issue on these unoptimized games

TRENDING THREADS