Browser backup

Nov 17, 2020
Visit site
I'm gonna be re-installing windows. When it comes to backing up browser stuff, apart from creating an account at the browser's website (namely Firefox and Brave in my case), to save all my info, the usual method is to export and then import right?

My question is, will tabs that I have currently open and active be retrievable? or does export/import only restore bookmarks, favorites, and settings?

Any way I can save tabs? Only by creating an account?

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
I'm gonna be re-installing windows. When it comes to backing up browser stuff, apart from creating an account at the browser's website (namely Firefox and Brave in my case), to save all my info, the usual method is to export and then import right?

My question is, will tabs that I have currently open and active be retrievable? or does export/import only restore bookmarks, favorites, and settings?

Any way I can save tabs? Only by creating an account?

Generally it will only be bookmarks, but you can export things like the cookies, browser history, and plugins. Tabs on the other hand, not likely unless you have them set as home pages (you can set your browser to open a number of tabs when it is first executed)

You could create a new bookmark folder and put all your open tabs in it. I'm not sure why you would put a bunch of work into saving your open tabs, though. In my head I'm picturing you with 80 tabs that have been open for the last six months, and that sounds like you are using tabs as bookmarks. Why bookmark something if you can just never leave?

I'm just picking on you, though. I hope you find a way. Good luck!

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
What do you use?
I use my PC for work and play, just for context as otherwise my setup may not make sense.

Vivaldi is my default, where links open and for general browsing.

Opera is my projects browser, where I keep collections of tabs in the Workspaces feature. Great if you have long-term stuff you're working on over months.

Edge is my secure browser, so therefore minimal extensions, where I do finance, business, and other sensitive stuff. With the continuing improvements, I may make it my default later.

Opera GX is my entertainment browser, since it's specifically aimed at gamers. Also movies, YouTube etc.

One handy thing about this selection of browsers is they're all Chromium-based, which is the same base as Google's Chrome. So I can use the extensions from the Chrome store on all of them.

While I access a lot of sites, I have most of what I need in each Favorites Bar, with the spillover on each's Speed Dial page—so no hunting required :)

TRENDING THREADS