Solved Black screen, loud fans, have to reboot

Nov 18, 2020
Visit site
Hey guys, I need help troubleshooting this issue!

I built my first PC a couple months ago and over the last month or so I have been experiencing an issue where my my screen goes black, the fans seem to go into overdrive and the only way to fix is to reboot. During this the actual PC stays on as I can still hear music, sound ect. I have updated all my drivers with clean installs which hasn't fixed the issue. This issue can happen a few hours into gaming or literally as soon as I sign into the desktop after not using the computer for 24 hrs...

Something to also note is that I have upgraded my monitor around Christmas time last year from a BENQ Rl2455 @ 50/60Hz to ASUS 279QM @ 144Hz. I never experience this issue with my previous monitor so this could potentially be a factor???

My specs are as follows:

View: https://imgur.com/72zUa27

View: https://imgur.com/ogmXpqN

I am still very new to the PC game so any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

Solution
SOLVED!

So I went ahead and did a reseat of my CPU, applying good aftermarket thermal paste. I then installed an extra 4 case fans which gave me 3 in 3 out. Updated my BIOS and all my drivers. Yet the problem still persisted... So I started on your suggestions.

Turns out it was a power issue after all. Since this was my first build I didn't realise there was a designated VGA output on the back of my PSU, I had just been using the cable labelled VGA which was in the bundle of cables running power to the MB and the rest. The fix was as simple as using the supplied VGA cable, plugging it into the VGA output on the PSU and obviously straight into the GPU. Problem solved!

Hope this can help some people out and thank...
Hi! Are you monitoring temperatures while you are gaming on your CPU and GPU? I assume you are using the AMD boxed cooler on the CPU?

Looks like youre at 59C on the processor idling on the desktop, could be some problem there or could just have been a temperature spike. We wont know until you monitor while under some kind of load.

If it is your CPU overheating and causing a crash/shutdown, you might need to reseat the CPU cooler. To do that youd need to buy some thermal paste from somewhere, if you just used the pre applied stuff on the heatsink, that is.

If you didnt buy any extra case fans, another one or two wouldnt hurt. 2 in 1 out is usually fine for normal use. Looks like the case might run a little hot so I would do that whatever happens.

Nov 18, 2020
Visit site
Hey, thanks very much for your reply!

Yes I am using the stock AMD CPU fan cooler. The case currently has 1 fan in 1 fan out. I have just ordered 4 more to install and I will reseat my CPU with aftermarket thermal paste as well.
I haven't had a chance to really stress test the PC as of yet for temperature readings but I will let you know how I get on with the minor modifications!

Thanks again

Nov 18, 2020
Visit site
Hey mate, I got around to monitoring my temps and both the CPU & GPU sit around 60 degrees under load. This is in game playing Dayz and Halo both at around 140fps.

The issue is still there unfortunately. All my drivers seem to be up to date, I also updated my BIOS and tried changing from DisplayPort to HDMI but that didn't work either. There seem to have been a bunch of people with this similar issue but no answers...
Is it potentially a hardware problem? I'm leaning towards a No only because the build isn't even 4 months old! Are all my parts compatible? Could it be something to do with my GPU not handling the new monitor at 144hz?
I'm at a loss right now

When the frame rate is capped at 60hz it is a lot easier on your GPU and by extension everything else in your case will not be getting as hot. At 144 hz your GPU will be at 100% nearly all of the time.

I assume these freezes only happen while gaming or heavy use?

Heat can bring out instability in other components like your RAM or CPU, while you're waiting for your new fans can you try running with the side door off of the case and see if it still happens.

Failing that other basic things that might help off the top of my head to try one at a time, so you'd know what it was exactly.

-Are you running the latest system BIOS from the MSI website?
-Try your GPU in the other PCI-E slot
-Try different cables on everything you can, PSU and data cables.
-Turn off the XMP profile on your RAM in BIOS and run it at JEDEC stock.
-Try your RAM in the other slots, 1 stick at a time in each slot to rule out bad memory or memory slots. You might to run look into running Memtest from a boot USB, but that takes a couple of hours per stick.

Failing all of that it actually sounds to me that it could be a power issue. Your PSU should be fine with your system, but if you could get hold of a spare unit from a friend to test with its also worth checking IMO.

Hope something there helps, or that someone else has a better insight.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Nov 18, 2020
Visit site
SOLVED!

So I went ahead and did a reseat of my CPU, applying good aftermarket thermal paste. I then installed an extra 4 case fans which gave me 3 in 3 out. Updated my BIOS and all my drivers. Yet the problem still persisted... So I started on your suggestions.

Turns out it was a power issue after all. Since this was my first build I didn't realise there was a designated VGA output on the back of my PSU, I had just been using the cable labelled VGA which was in the bundle of cables running power to the MB and the rest. The fix was as simple as using the supplied VGA cable, plugging it into the VGA output on the PSU and obviously straight into the GPU. Problem solved!

Hope this can help some people out and thank you to Kaamos_Llama for the help and advice!

Cheers

Solution

TRENDING THREADS