Benchmarks Big Benchmarks for the Big Navi

JSimenhoff

Community Manager
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
AMD just released this nifty benchmark widget on the product page for their upcoming Big Navi GPUs. I'm really impressed with big Navi's performance, especially their FPS per dollar metric.

NeRtM00.png

I think AMD has a hit on their hands. I'm excited to see the full review from PC Gamer, but for now these benchmarks look very promising. Add in the affordability of FreeSync monitors to compare to Gsync monitors, and there's no question that AMD presents a much better value proposition for the average gamer.

What do you think? Will Big Navi be a big success?

Exciting time for hardware.

I'll wait to see all the reviews and analysis, as I understood it 'Rage mode' is only available while using a Ryzen 5000 series CPU together with the new cards. Its a bit like comparing Nvidia with DLSS vs a Radeon card without it. VRAM is much better value for sure though. Be interesting to see how much effect that has on performance for sure. Its definitely looking much rosier for AMD graphics, I welcome the competition and the price drops it will hopefully bring!

Edit. I've confused Rage mode with the other smart access memory feature. Seems like Rage mode is basically auto overclocking. So an enhanced boost clock basically?

I think most people that have been AMD will stay with AMD and that there will be very little movement with people who have been buying NVIDIA. There are things offered on nvidia cards that dont come with AMD ie DLSS support that fans that use NVIDIA wont want to give up. The prices though just show that cards are still generally the same price for the higher end performance. Been paying 600-1000 for a decade now and AMD has moved into that price range clearly leaving behind being the cheaper alternative.

My problem here is that even if I wanted to go AMD this gen of graphics cards, I sort of screwed myself by getting locked into the Nvidia ecosystem through G-Sync. My monitor only supports hardware-based G-Sync, not Freesync, and my TV in the living room also has support for VRR, but only G-Sync and not Freesync. I'd have to upgrade my desktop monitor or live without VRR, and I'd also have to upgrade my processor and probably my motherboard to make use of the Smart Access Memory. That's an investment of anywhere from €1500 - €2000 euros for three components and a peripheral.

I can't justify that. :(

EDIT: I also think AMD is severely cherry-picking here with that widget. There's only a couple of titles and most if not all of them were skewed towards AMD to begin with. I wonder how much of a difference it makes when you're losing out on that Smart Access Memory tech. Regardless, it's looking increasingly likely that AMD has the clear price/performance winners on their hands here. I just wish their software suite was anywhere near as good as Nvidia's.

If they have stock then a new build for me with a Ryzen 5600X and 6800XT. I currently have a GTX1060 6GB and a 4k monitor so a hefty upgrade. But then I have savings earning no interest in the bank and I deserve a nice xmas present - even if I buy it myself.

Other people can buy me RDR2 and AC:Valhalla

JSimenhoff

Community Manager
Nov 25, 2019
Visit site
If they have stock then a new build for me with a Ryzen 5600X and 6800XT. I currently have a GTX1060 6GB and a 4k monitor so a hefty upgrade. But then I have savings earning no interest in the bank and I deserve a nice xmas present - even if I buy it myself.

That would be a pretty sick upgrade. I often have trouble deciding between living in the now (buying all the hardware and all the games), and saving for the future (the right sensible thing to do). I don't always make the correct choice 😅

Reactions: Rensje
That would be a pretty sick upgrade. I often have trouble deciding between living in the now (buying all the hardware and all the games), and saving for the future (the right sensible thing to do). I don't always make the correct choice 😅
I'd advise anyone to put away some money every month if possible. It's only by doing this that I would be able to afford a new system :) I often don't buy new games straight away though. IsThereAnyDeal.com is a real lifesaver here.

As to Navi. I like the approach that AMD and Microsoft are taking. Properly implementing open source solutions to Ray Tracing and other new tech has got to be the way to go long term. As the XBox Series X and S support Direct12 Ultimate and DirectML then we are likely to see a quicker introduction of these than NVIDIA's proprietary solutions.

Reactions: JSimenhoff

TRENDING THREADS