Best SSD for storage/gaming

Feb 2, 2020
Hi PCGamers. I was wondering what would be the best SSD for my needs. I installed my windows on a Samsung Evo 970 256gb and games on a WD Black 500GB HDD. I would like to upgrade my HDD to a SSD probably 500gb or 1TB.

I have a budget at around $100 and I want to have the best for it. I'll be ordering on Amazon US since I already have an Amazon card. What would you recommend?

Also, if you have discount codes/vouchers that I could use. Thank you.

Kaamos_Llama

Jan 31, 2020
The Kingston A2000 1 TB is solid for just over 100, assuming you have a second m2 slot available.

Feb 2, 2020
The Kingston A2000 1 TB is solid for just over 100, assuming you have a second m2 slot available.

What do you think about the WD Blue SN550 and the Sabrent Gen 3?

Kaamos_Llama

Jan 31, 2020
As I understand it the Kingston A2000 I mentioned uses TLC DRAM which is more durable then the QLC in the Sabrent Rocket Q drives and it also has a dedicated DRAM cache which means it wont slow down as it fills up, like the WD Blue.

Practically speaking you probably wouldnt notice any difference in a Pepsi challenge, but if theyre the same price I'll take the one with the better numbers :)

Reactions: arvian
Feb 2, 2020
As I understand it the Kingston A2000 I mentioned uses TLC DRAM which is more durable then the QLC in the Sabrent Rocket Q drives and it also has a dedicated DRAM cache which means it wont slow down as it fills up, like the WD Blue.

Practically speaking you probably wouldnt notice any difference in a Pepsi challenge, but if theyre the same price I'll take the one with the better numbers :)
Great. Thanks for sharing.

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
I would prioritize storage space over drive speed, as like stated above Kaamos, you're not really going to notice the difference for most applications. NVME is faster than SATA SSD, but in my opinion the form factor is the biggest difference. I wouldn't buy anything under 1TB (seems to be the sweet spot) for SSD secondary storage these days. You'd be surprised how fast that fills up, even if you're JUST gaming. And you also have to consider keeping about 10-15% of the drive space free for operational functions. Unlike a HDD, you can't defragment the drive to magically free up space when you think it's needed (you should actually NEVER defrag an SSD).

Feb 2, 2020
I would prioritize storage space over drive speed, as like stated above Kaamos, you're not really going to notice the difference for most applications. NVME is faster than SATA SSD, but in my opinion the form factor is the biggest difference. I wouldn't buy anything under 1TB (seems to be the sweet spot) for SSD secondary storage these days. You'd be surprised how fast that fills up, even if you're JUST gaming. And you also have to consider keeping about 10-15% of the drive space free for operational functions. Unlike a HDD, you can't defragment the drive to magically free up space when you think it's needed (you should actually NEVER defrag an SSD).
I was about to buy the SN550 WD Blue but since it has no DRAM I think I should reconsider thanks to Kaamos =) I'll definitely get a 1TB one since I need that huge storage.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts