Best local co-op games you have played

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone, I'm opening this thread because I'm constantly on the lookout for fun local co-op games with 3 or more players. So I'm looking for the games you enjoyed the most with your friends/family. The ones I played and enjoyed the most are Magicka 1 & 2, Trine 1 & 2, still haven't had the chance to play 3 & 4, Rayman Origins, Overcooked 1, Heave Ho and maybe some others I forgot. So post your favorites and let's make a definitive local co-op games collection.

Edit:
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'll list all the games mentioned here with their links to steam so it is easier to find, and update if we get more suggestions.

Magicka
Magicka 2
Trine The Ultimate Collection (All 4 games in a bundle, and links to individual games)
Rayman Origins
Rayman Legends
Overcooked 1&2 bundle
Heave Ho

Suggested by Dan:
Ultimate Chicken Horse
Lovers In A Dangerous Spacetime
Crawl
Worms Collection
Speedrunners
Gang Beasts

Suggested by Moo Guy:
Cobalt

Suggested by Zoid (I'll just link the PC games):
LEGO (Linked Lego Batman since it is the first, there are too many others but are easy to find)
Portal 2
Divinity Original Sin 2

Suggested by ZER0:
Human Fall Flat
Hammerwatch
Jamestown
Battleblock Theater
Castle Crashers
Assault Android Cactus
Broforce
Gauntlet
Guacamelee

Guacamelee 2
Helldivers
Nippon Marathon

Suggested by Volley
Serious Sam The First Encounter
Serious Sam The Second Encounter

Suggested by MacLeod:
Borderlands 2 (Online co-op)
Dead Space 3 (Online co-op - Origin link)

Suggested by Dlindau:
A Way Out

Suggested by Pifanjr:
Legend of Dugeon
The Jackbox Party Pack
Liero

Suggested by McStabStab:
Rocket League
Pit People
The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan
Cuphead
Road Redemption

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
I always thought Cobalt was a severely underrated game, I have great memories playing co-op survival on that with friends. It's a 2d arena shooter kinda game, and it has the best application of bullet time I've ever seen in a game. Oh, and you can deflect bullets off of your fat robot head. That alone should be all the info you need.

Attachments

• fight2.jpg
    fight2.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: SeriousNERD

Zoid

Community Contributor
Are we talking only on PC? If not, then definitely Mario Kart, Mario Party, and Smash Bros.

On PC, any of the LEGO games are fantastic for local coop. Portal 2 is also a great choice, but only supports 2 players. @Dan made some great suggestions which I will second.

In a different vein, Divinity Original Sin 2 is a wonderful coop game if you are into classic D&D-style RPGs. I believe it supports local coop, though I haven't tried it.

Julez

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
Over the holiday break, I played Heave Ho with my siblings. I was worried that since they're not "gamers", using a controller might be difficult and make the whole thing not fun. But they thrived! 4 player couch co-op, swinging each other around, beating levels and laughing our heads off. Highly recommend.

Jan 16, 2020
Visit site
I've recently been playing Human Fall Flat and it's a blast. It's a bit like Gang Beasts but you cooperatively have to solve puzzles together. I'm like you though, I'm always on the lookout for good local coop games. Here's some I've enjoyed in the past:

Hammerwatch
Jamestown (for vertical scrolling 2d shooter fans - it's also a tough one)
Gang beasts
Battleblock Theatre
Castle Crashers
Assault Android Cactus
Broforce
Gauntlet
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
Guacamelee 1 and 2 (also pretty tough)
Helldivers
Overcooked
Nippon Marathon - I haven't fired this one up but it mimicks wacky japanese game shows and looks fun

Last edited:
Local coop eh? sadly it would have been back in my my amiga / 16/8 bits would be the most cherished but best? hmmm.... maybe halo or deathrow on the xbox.

On the amiga one game that i played a lot with my brother / cousin was Heroquest legacy of sorasil. We all picked a character or 2 and we completed the quests. Wasn't exactly riveting but it brought us together. Admittedly i played the game more then any of them so i would complete the maps before hand so that i could plan out the loot, items, locations etc. Nothing ruins a game when the whole team escapes and leaves one less then stellar character to fight off a mob of monsters...

Unreal (1998) cooperative was a pretty good time with maybe one other person, not really a game for more than that. System Shock 2 co-op always intrigued me but I never got into that. I'd say Serious Sam The First Encounter and Serious Sam The Second Encounter are my favorites.

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Unreal (1998) cooperative was a pretty good time with maybe one other person, not really a game for more than that. System Shock 2 co-op always intrigued me but I never got into that. I'd say Serious Sam The First Encounter and Serious Sam The Second Encounter are my favorites.
Didn't know that Unreal and system shock 2 had co-op, really interesting. Serious Sam is definitely great, I've played a bit of the third game in split screen, it was fun.

Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
Borderlands 2 would probably be my favorite. It's one of my all time favorite games and works well in co-op. Dead Space 3 was also a lot of fun co-op but that's only 2 player so may not be for you.

Jan 14, 2020
Visit site
Last edited:
Reactions: McStabStab

TRENDING THREADS