Baldur's Gate 3 Playthrough Discussion

Page 8 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!

Sarafan

Community Contributor
And it finally happened. After 115 hours I’ve beaten the game. I feel the same thing I felt after finishing Baldur’s Gate 2. The end of a very long journey and sadness that this is a goodbye with very good written characters (or should I say friends). I’ll miss them for sure. And finally I can read everything about the game without fear of encountering spoilers. :D

It appears that my character has a huge career in the Underdark before him. :D And I was right. Only 6.4% of gamers accepted a fate of Mindflyer so far.

Finished the game earlier today with what I would say was a decent ending (got a "heartfelt thank you" achievement from Larian Studios, which was kind of cool) Will be doing a review later in the review section, but overall I would say the journey was an amazing one, but with a lackluster ending. The good thing is that the journey was so incredible, that to be honest, I wasn't even a bit sad about it. I just thought: "Ok, I guess it's time to play the dark urge (A more evil playthrough) version":)
gKhNZQB.jpg

I hear the dark urge character actually has a lot of background to the main story so I'm more curious to try it now.

Guess YMMV on the ending, it was one of my favourite sequences gameplay wise in the whole game.

I had Karlach go full Illithid after having avoided using any of the tadpoles in the game leading up to it. There was a whole narrator monolgue afterwards about gradually becoming corrupted by the illithid form over time, so I decided that Karlach would rather just end it there than live and become twisted.
I was pretty satisfied with it. Bittersweet endings are always the best.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I would say the journey was an amazing one, but with a lackluster ending.
The concept of the ending part of the game is quite good IMHO. It seems to offer many possible outcomes. I'm aware of at least five possible routes which influence the course of actions for the main character. I have some doubts about the content of ending cut-scenes though. More about that in the spoiler section below.

The ending doesn't reveal the fate of player character nor his companions (with some exceptions). In BG2 ending you had a detailed description of what happened with characters that were in your party after the final fight. Also the ending in BG3 seems quite rushed and sketchy. No CGI, nothing about characters and locations we visited while playing the game etc. I expected that we'll get something similar to Fallout New Vegas ending, which revealed the future of NPCs, towns and factions. It may be an intentional move however to prepare for future DLCs, games or table-top RPG sessions.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I'm listening to BG3 soundtrack right now and it's incredible! There's a lot of tracks with vocals. I'm talking here not about vocalizations which usually rely on one or two vowels like in most game soundtracks, but true vocals! You only prepare such things when you're certain that you're doing a legendary game. We're talking about music written from scratch (including words and vocals), not some licensed tracks. Even big publishers don't want to pump money in such a thing. Check these:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWmvVEm5SC8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSVRtM1x9wQ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iog3XDY1krA

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxCDMxngoCQ

And of course this (tagged as spoiler, because it spoils one fight in the game):
EPIC!

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
I think instrumentals and all-vowel-voice gets used a lot because A) it doesn't have to be translated and B) it doesn't distract. Essentially, the songs are like dinner music: something meant to be in the background, not the focus of attention.
You only prepare such things when you're certain that you're doing a legendary game.
Or Bard's Tale 4. ;)

TRENDING THREADS