Question At what age you started gaming?

video games
He doesn't ask for video games, just games. It's unclear if sport is included—got a game on Sunday at 3pm—but certainly less active ones would be. Cards, board, dice, paper, etc etc.

@hamzamustafa Right?

I was probably 5-6, probably started with Snakes & Ladders and Draughts/Checkers.

Define a game

A game is a structured form of play, usually undertaken for entertainment or fun, and sometimes used as an educational tool.

dad had a collection of die cast tanks we used to fight wars in the backyard with. We even wrote up a sort of game with rules as to what die rolls meant. Was fun... I can't tell you how old I was. I wonder what ever happened to that book. I wonder how many of the tanks are still around here... somewhere. We never sold them and almost all his stuff is still here somewhere...

this brings back memories

that was a game I remember playing but unlikely to be first.

I am 66 years old and been a die hard gamer since 1981.
In 1981 i got the kit version of the zx81 complete with ram pack wobble.
In 1982 i got my first zx spectum i was in a lot of piracy groups where we would take it in turn to buy a game then hand it round . Yes i know it was wrong but back then everybody did it. By the time local shops stopped selling cassette based games for all machines ( see below ) i think i was one of the few people in my area that could actually say they had every spectrum game.

One day i went to my local town and virtually overnight all the shops had removed games and all the different games machines from their shelves i think it was some sort of marketing ploy because the only thing you could now buy were the sega consoles. One little independent shop did a roaring selling all the things that nobody else had until lack of supply meant he had to shut.

In 2002 i got my first pc and my first virus in 10 minutes because i did not actually know anyone else who had a pc.

As you can imagine i have seen lots of changes in all the different types of machines i have used and unless your around my age you wont know why i say that. My wife dont like games but she cried when she saw something that happened at the end of horizon zero dawn.

A FEW RANDOM MEMORIES.

ZX81 ram pack wobble , spectrum R.tape load error , a device called a multiface clipped onto games machines , its main aim was to assist illegal copying BUT they got away with selling it because copying a game was only one of its many functions.

Nothing worked on another machine apart from the one it was supposed to work on , then a range of machine called msx came out and regardless of who made it , every game could be used on somebody else's machine. For some reason they never took off which is strange because in the wonderful world of pc's it does not matter who makes the machine you have.

I can remember a time when people would make fun of you if you said you played games , i hate the word PLAY , gaming is now more acceptable and i think this happened when the nintendo wee came out , when the novelty wore off they wanted something better so got a pc.

AND FINNALLY hi and low .
The high was mathew smith made jet set willy for every machine and was a millionaire at 17.
The low , richard sheppard made a game called transyvania tower , and wont disrespect him by saying what i thought of it but he could not handle the bad reviews and sadly he hung himself from a motorway bridge.

Last edited:
Football is classified as a Game.

football, also called association football or soccer, game in which two teams of 11 players
https://www.britannica.com/sports/rugby (classified as a game too)

Game: a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators

Sport: an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature.

Hence, a sport can be a game, but a game is not necessarily a sport. Merely competing does not make something a sport. The key difference: a sport implies not just activity, but athletic activity.

but what does that make Twister?

Oh of course, all the time, but I think it varies by country.
Type "football game" into your fav search and click on images.

Rarely if ever, more usually 'players', much like video gamers.

I didn't say 'game'. I said 'gaming' like in the OP. I'm aware that football is called a game, but when you are playing football, you don't say you are 'gaming'. Well, maybe they do in other countries. Dunno.

Reactions: Brian Boru
First off, let's just get this out of the way. Football is what they play in the NFL, not that cursed game, called Soccer. Lol.

I think I was probably 9-10 years old when we got our Magnavox Odyssey. The only reason I wasn't gaming earlier is because games didn't really exist in the mainstream much before that. We did get our Odyssey later in its life, though, and that held us over until we could get an Intellivision. We skipped that old crappy Atari 2600.

But before the Odyssey, we had a few of those old handheld games, like this Football game (the real kind of football. :D )

maxresdefault.jpg

First off, let's just get this out of the way. Football is what they play in the NFL, not that cursed game, called Soccer. Lol.
Many countries have a game called Football that aren't NFL or Soccer, its not so clear cut as just 2 sports claiming the title. Here in Australia we have 2 sports that used to fight over the term, and neither was soccer. TBH, its all a waste of time, who cares about the ball. I just ignore all ball sports

Atari had way more games... Atari also went on to help kill 1st wave of consoles until Nintendo came along, as not all its games were amazing. I knew someone who had a 2600 and almost every cartridge he could find. I wonder if he ever got ET.
You're right. They came onto the scene earlier and were much more popular because of that. Atari had way more games, but in my opinion, Intellivision had way better games. I'm not sure if I can post two videos or not, but just look at the difference between Atari's baseball game, and Intellivision's. With a game like this, the Intellivision's controller gave you so much more control over playing the game with all of those buttons. When you're pitching, you could even choose the speed and curve of the ball. Intellivision's animations were much better, too. I could go on to compare games like Advanced Dungeon's and Dragons vs Atari's Adventure. But I'll stick with this one for now. Intellivision's fewer games were so much better.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCovDzKOOCU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6L1sWZCeCgw

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS