Assetto Corsa Crashing PC

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi, it's been a while, I first posted on the PC Gamer form when it first opened, looks like I'm doing it again; nice shiny new forum (love the old banner though).

It's been a while since I updated my PC (8 years) but RF2 was still running fine so it hadn't been a problem.

Buying Project Cars 2 and Assetto Corsa to see me through the UK's lockdown was a problem though.

I needed to get rid of the trusty NVidia 9800GT (Flintstones jokes here, but she has been blasting through The Nordschleife and Suzuka like a Cray for almost a decade, not to mention HL2 and all her babies)

I got an RX590 Fatboy, and then a new PSU, but Assetto Corsa has been crashing like a Captain called Smith every day.

PC:
Gigabyte GAZ77 - updated BIOS
i5 3500 @3.1ghz
8gb DDr3 (2 X 4gb)
XFX RX590Fatboy - Radeon Sillyname updated drivers
Windows 10 - fully updated

The antivirus exceptions have been set for AC

I've found lots of discussion about AC crashing PCs, but not much about how to update Direct X other than windows update.

BlueScreenView lists the error as a graphics driver problem 0x00000116:

040220-43703-01.dmp 02/04/2020 17:10:40 0x00000116 ffffb081`af005010 fffff803`75d30328 ffffffff`c0000001 00000000`00000003 dxgkrnl.sys dxgkrnl.sys+23fe5a x64 ntoskrnl.exe+1c2380 C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\040220-43703-01.dmp 4 15 18362 2,160,148 02/04/2020 17:21:38

If I have the latest Windows update and the latest Radeon driver and the latest BIOS update, is there anything else I can do to track down the culprit without replacing the motherboard?

Any help gratefully received.

Al

That was a good bundle on Humble I thought :)

Yes. There are huge amounts of things to do before replacing the motherboard. The mobo is about the last thing on the list.

1) Did you use DDU to remove the old GPU drivers

before installing the new card and its drivers?

If not, do so now :)

2) What is the exact make and model (including wattage) of your power supply?

Reactions: WelshAL

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
The crash only happens in that one game and only there? Running benchmarks causes no problems? Tried running any other game with similar system requirements?

Looking into this error there's possibility (small) of RAM/VRAM corruption, but I assume that would show up in other games as well. Other possibilities are corrupter system files, corrupted DirectX and few others - but rather small chance it's them.

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Thanks both.

Yes, I used DDU to remove all drivers for graphics. It is a good programme.

The PSU is a Corsair 650w modular supply from Ebuyer.

I thought that the Error codes would be different for RAM?

It does list a DirextX file in the error log, but I have updated Windows.

I can't see any way of deleting and updating DirectX on its own.

It does only crash in AC both from the vanilla launcher and from Content Manager, not when bench marking though.

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Frankly I am not sure what to suggest.

With the error codes there's always chance there's something else going on. Example: I had a PC that was screaming at me about RAM errors. After about a day at workshop I discovered the issue: it was the CPU-RAM connection on the motherboard, RAM itself was fine. So error was not exactly leading to the specific piece of hardware, but to discover that I had to run a lots of tests and check configurations at every step. It's rarely as simple as "error tells me it's this".

You may try checking your hardware in small chance of there being something wrong with RAM for example, but probability is rather low. Any other errors in system log?

You could also try contacting developer or publisher's support - with just text there isn't much else I can do to help I am afraid.

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Thanks all, your friendliness and helpfulness reminds me of the old forum, and why I came back.

I googled the dxkrnl.sys BSOD and tried every suggestion.

I think that the System File Checker, run from DOS, has found and repaired some corrupted system files, as AC has been running fine for over an hour.

Yippee!!

Thanks for all the help.

Al

Reactions: Oussebon
Did you do a clean install when changing the mobo and CPU?

What did you change them from and to?

It's quite hard to keep track of all that's going on with the system spread out over multiple topics, and it will also really help if you can give as full details as possible

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
He did already. But can we place keep it to a single topic? It's going to be confusing if we're trying to help 1 problem in 2 different topics.
The only time I see a green screen in Windows myself is when watching youtube videos, which has to do with hardware acceleration.

I am affraid if it's a software issue I'm not that much of a help, the only thing I can suggest trying right now is turning off (or on) hardware acceleration in Windows 10 if available. You can also attempt to rollback drivers to an older version to see if that works. Last thing I saw being suggested is turning off Freesync.

Also, is this the issue you're having too?

I know there's another topic - the point is, I don't know if this is different crashing, or the same crashnig as this topic, or the other topic... I've no idea what's going on because of partial information, spread out over multiple topics. That other topic is about crashes with the GPU and a particular TV (I think?!) and this is.. about crashes after some further unspecified CPU and mobo change(?)

Makes it hard to say anything sensible without knowing what is going on.

if we're trying to help 1 problem in 2 different topics.
We don't even know it's the same problem - that's the problem. :)

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
If I read right but indeed some confirmation would be nice. In both topics the issue seems that Asetto Corsa was crashing, so the PC got upgraded and it's still crashing. From what I read in the other topic is that it's still crashing while using a monitor instead of a TV.

Error code in both topics is the same though (0x16).

We don't even know it's the same problem - that's the problem.

So we're working on 1 problem in 2 topics.... right? :p

But they say they changed the CPU and mobo and "the (unspecified) crashing" is back - so we have no idea.

Frankly unless someone wants to close-read both topics, work out what we know, and what we don't, I think the best thing to do would be for the OP to ask a moderator to lock both topics, and start a fresh one with full details of the current situation.

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi.

Thanks all.

The other thread is about
GSOD, which happened the first time like the video above, but now happens as soon as Windows starts.

I came back here as I think we've established that the GSOD is related to software drivers and the TV.

Being able to run the PC has allowed me to get back to the issue of crashing in Assetto Corsa.

It doesn't seem to happen in other games.

Since it first happened, I have changed the following:

Motherboard. Asus Rog Strix B450

CPU. Ryzen 5 3600 no o/c

RAM DDR400 Corsair Vengeance

If I run a benchmark in AC it crashes at the end.
If I press exit when the benchmark screen comes up, we're all good and it goes back to the menu. This is quicker than starting a track and driving until it crashes.

I have tried all the advice on ACs forum guides, even limiting the frame rate.

No change, still crashes.

The gfx card is in the topmost slot, would it help to move it?

Last edited:

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
Just to clarify, you didn't change videocard? You did perform a total fresh install of Windows 10?

The video I posted a few posts up, is that the same issue as you're having?

A few suggestions I read myself are: Turning off Vsync or rolling back drivers to a previous version. Did you try both already?

Personally I don't think it'd matter if you change GPU position if it's actually a driver issue rather than hardware.

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi. The Rx590 was bought a month ago but has been used on both motherboards.

I have run assetto corsa on both the old Win10 and the new clean installation Win10. AC still crashes.

The video above is related to the green screen crash, which doesn't happen when using the HP monitor.

How far back do you think I should go with the Gfx drivers?

I'll try Vsync now.

Thanks

Al

In addition to the above by @Inspireless Llama - which sounds very sensible - have you tried other things especially the (free) 3DMark Firestrike and Timespy benchmarks. You can get them on Steam (the "Demo" is the free version).

Have you verified the install of Assetto Corsa on Steam? And/or performed a fresh download, deleting the game installation beforehand?

I know you didn't want to use linux, but if you try the system on Linux and it doesn't have a problem with the TV, there's a very good chance it is indeed software/driver related. If there's a problem, it's very, very likely bad hardware. It's the simplest way to tell

At the moment, running the system with a very low resolution monitor and not getting GSODs, but getting crashes in Assetto Corsa, doesn't persuade me that is is definitely a software/driver issue. It could be - and it could be the same issue. Or different issues (but coincidence seems unlikely).

Also - the clean install..?

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi.

I have tried the Timespy benchmark and it ran fine, though 5303 was a depressingly low score.

I have read about JVC TVs and apparently a green screen could just mean that the TV can't keep up, so I'll need to look into the settings about that, but it seems to be a separate issue as it doesn't seem to come from the game.

I have tried Vsync, but still we crash.

I have verified the game, no change.

Edit
Have tried old driver, no change.

I have previously deleted the game and reinstalled it, but not since the new Motherboard.

I am now only working on the clean installation of Windows.

Thanks

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Thanks to all who helped out here. The result seems to be that the AC crashing was down to something in the AC folder in Documents.

I installed a fresh version and it hasn't crashed.

So there must have been something in my settings which caused the crash.
I'm blown if I know what it is, as I had played it safe on resolution, Anti Aliasing and other effects.

I'm going to have to look at them side-by-side to find out, because I've lost my 70% career progress and want that back.

Thanks all for trying to help. AC made it look like a card driver problem, and the green screen crashing turned out to be related to the TV's settings I think.

Inspireless Llama

Community Contributor
I feel proud somewhat that I was linking it to the resolution though :D Even though I was off with what was wrong with the resolution :p I find it very hard to help with software issues because there are at least 100 different issues that give the same result.

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
It has been odd, yes, and it has taken a silly amount of investigation. I can't thank you all enough for offering help and support.

I love the game when it's working but Assetto Corsa is the most unstable game I've ever played, and I bought Hidden and Dangerous 1...

I am going through the Documents folders now but haven't changed anything in the Steam folders so I'm not changing anything about the installation.

If I change the name of the Documents /Assetto Corsa folder, I can use a different version.

My old one crashes half way through a benchmark.

The new folder doesn't crash at all.

I really wish the Assetto Corsa forum wasn't as unstable as the game is, I've been trying to post the but can't, and can't get any help from the mods.

TRENDING THREADS