If you are new to gaming and don't know what to buy,

here are a few suggestions

PC Gamer: Best PC Games

PC Mag: Best PC games of 2021

Gamesradar: Best PC Games

Steelseries Blog: Video Games for Beginners

Best Video Games for Beginners

Lifehacker - 10 videogames for people that want to be gamers

If you want us to suggest games to play, you have to tell us what types of games you want to play. Its no use saying I am new, what should I play? You have to try some games first and figure out what you like.

note: really nice if unfurl was predictable.

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
They might not know what games have on offer! Or maybe only what the biggest of big name games that advertise show them. The pleasures actually on offer are all over the map. Here's the questions I would ask of somebody:
  • How much thinking do you want to do? There's a bunch of outright puzzle games out there (and in a whole bunch of different flavors), but you can also put a lot of thought into other games as well.
  • How much do you want your reflexes challenged? Games that give you a whole bunch of options on what to do at any given time, also typically will pause the game so you can mull over those choices. More "twitch-based" games tend to have fewer choices, but ask you to make those choices faster - sometimes lots faster!
  • Do you get much fun out of making things? Quite a few games will let you flat out design houses or bases. Even more derive a lot of fun from building up some sort of hero, team, or even an empire.
  • Single/pair/multi? It's come to my attention that some (millions of) extroverts have been taking up the hobby. Do you think you would rather play along side a friend/spouse/relative? Along side a bunch of random people? Against AI or other random people? Or would you rather go it alone, on your own time?

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
i have a similar experience-not that im new to PC gaming but i have certain conditions that affect my ability to play complex games.
games i strongly recomend for people new to PC gaming woud be easy to get in and out of games like:

#descenders.
a downhill biking game, its not a sim so dont expect the ramped up difficulty level or realism of sims. the reason i recomend it is itll run on almost any PC setup,my gaming laptop runs with everything on ultra which makes me laugh, and it is incredibly adictive.

#tekken 7.
if you loved tekken back in the old day,nows your chance to play with yoshimitsu,eddie gordo etc again, its extremely well made though im not sure of its minimum requirements.

#NiGHTS into dreams (a later PS3 port i think, with the original sega saturn version playable from start).
a strange but worthwhile undefineable game,very easy to get into,but difficult to master-youll get addicted and its not expensive on steam from what i remember, if you have a geforce graphics card you might have to change two settings in geforce experience to make the game play but there are tons of help on that, and ill always point in the right direction if need be.

#FORZA horizon 4 (or 5,assuming your computer has the power to run either of thesese).
this is an incredible driving game,you can use it just to spend hours driving round the UK or mexico if you want,or competiting in races, making friends-or not-you dont have to.collect cars, drive around, auction your cars etc, its easy to drop in and out of.

#Spirit of the north. you play as a fox walking threw out iceland,the key to the game is discovery,some puzzle elements and lots of walking around beautiful scenery,its a very mindful experience.

#spyro reignited trilogy.
most of the main spyro games including no.1 in a high definition package,well worth a play,its easy going but still lots of challenge.

#stardust.
not really a game,more of an artistic expresion that is very easy to get into and for many people very easy to apreciate and enjoy,theres no death or panic, very good for chilling out with- just collect stars and 'draw' amazing colours into the galaxy.

Reactions: Brian Boru
May 20, 2022
Visit site
They might not know what games have on offer! Or maybe only what the biggest of big name games that advertise show them. The pleasures actually on offer are all over the map. Here's the questions I would ask of somebody:
  • How much thinking do you want to do? There's a bunch of outright puzzle games out there (and in a whole bunch of different flavors), but you can also put a lot of thought into other games as well.
  • How much do you want your reflexes challenged? Games that give you a whole bunch of options on what to do at any given time, also typically will pause the game so you can mull over those choices. More "twitch-based" games tend to have fewer choices, but ask you to make those choices faster - sometimes lots faster!
  • Do you get much fun out of making things? Quite a few games will let you flat out design houses or bases. Even more derive a lot of fun from building up some sort of hero, team, or even an empire.
  • Single/pair/multi? It's come to my attention that some (millions of) extroverts have been taking up the hobby. Do you think you would rather play along side a friend/spouse/relative? Along side a bunch of random people? Against AI or other random people? Or would you rather go it alone, on your own time?
i'd like to get more into game i like shooter games but i also like puzzle games

Zloth

Community Contributor
Well, @frenchtoast16 - Portal and Portal 2 are both puzzle games with some shooter-like elements.

There's lots of good shooters out there. Maybe one that's a little different: Mechwarrior 5. Lots of shooting, but in a big mech instead of running around yourself. Here's some near-end-game gameplay:
View: https://youtu.be/q6QAZrVNJu4?t=5

(I just uploaded that - hopefully YouTube can get it into HD in a sane amount of time)

Jun 13, 2022
Visit site
Not quite but also kinda. I’ve been playing video games since I was probably 7 years old. However, I am really not good at any game if playing against someone else. So… I am an eternal beginner.

Jul 20, 2022
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS