Are you going to switch to Windows 11?

My desktop doesn't meet the CPU requirement, and I'm not changing anything on my gaming laptop. I've had problems with laptops in the past where moving to a new OS borked a few things that were basically unfixable without just dropping back to the old OS. Plus, I usually feel that if my PC is running great, then I don't want to change anything.

How about you all? Planning on moving to Windows 11?

No. Well, at least not right away. There will be a multitude of compatibility issues, hardware issues, conflicts, and patches for months. And my biggest concern/fear, is that older games will have issues running, or not run at all. So maybe eventually, and I'll definitely go past the "free upgrade" period, but I'd rather wait and pay later, than loose the ability to play the games I want. Or it's this:

View: https://youtu.be/A_j8W-SDefU

I'm sitting on the fence tbh. I can't really see significant improvements over windows 10 and if sods law is anything to go by, we might be up for another naff OS edition. The new UI isn't really anything exciting and odds are good that i'll switch to classic UI mode.

that said its free, but on the other hand, i'm not entirely sure i would want it... Might wait for windows 12 or something.

Win 11 is windows 10 with a few changes

its compatible with almost every program, and so far I haven't had any problems with drivers

96p5Oqc.jpg

I have had it a few weeks, its like I said, Win 10 with a new shell. Only a few things make it obvious its not 10, mainly start menu and widgets. But I don't spend all day looking at either so I only remember its 11 when I turn it off and the power menu is in a different place

Start menu was centred for about as long as it took me to find option to move it to left. That likely main reason it just feels like 10 to me.

I was asking what the fuss was all about before I got it, and that hasn't changed since. If it wasn't free I wouldn't get it.

if your PC can run it, its a free upgrade, and 10 runs out of support in 5 years so you may have little choice.

Its so close to 10 that it will be easy to adjust to changes. None of them are annoying.

Last edited:
Obviously I'll wait for the opinions of the reliable tech sources I pay attention to. So assuming they give the all-clear, I go for it if my PC meets the requirements—my i7 is 7th gen & req'mt is gen 8, I hope they'll drop that since I meet the other requirements.

I like the hardware security focused upgrade, so I'll move asap if feasible. That said, I skipped Win8's good security upgrade because Win8 was otherwise not so hot, while Win7 was brilliant.

my biggest concern/fear, is that older games will have issues running, or not run at all
Win10 ran old games and software for me which Win7 couldn't, so I'm hopeful they've mastered the art of oldies care.

if my PC is running great, then I don't want to change anything
Right, Win10 will be fully supported until 2025, so I'm not worried if I end up out of spec for Win11. Win10 is doing fine for me, so I lose nothing if I have to stick with it.

I only remember its 11 when I turn it off
That's encouraging, wish all big upgrades were as inconspicuous on the surface.

Win 11 is windows 10 with a few changes

its compatible with almost every program, and so far I haven't had any problems with drivers

96p5Oqc.jpg

I have had it a few weeks, its like I said, Win 10 with a new shell. Only a few things make it obvious its not 10, mainly start menu and widgets. But I don't spend all day looking at either so I only remember its 11 when I turn it off and the power menu is in a different place

Start menu was centred for about as long as it took me to find option to move it to left. That likely main reason it just feels like 10 to me.

I was asking what the fuss was all about before I got it, and that hasn't changed since. If it wasn't free I wouldn't get it.

if your PC can run it, its a free upgrade, and 10 runs out of support in 5 years so you may have little choice.

Its so close to 10 that it will be easy to adjust to changes. None of them are annoying.

Can you have the Windows search bar always show up along the bottom?

Well, the icon can be shown or hidden, I would have to look harder to see if the actual box can show there but clicking icon reveals the normal search

fwSIeej.jpg

if you just hover mouse over button it shows the last 3 searches
z1g9UOC.jpg

clicking top choice just opens main search window (see 1st image)

latest CPU compatibility list still misses 1st gen ryzen, they have added more Intel into list. Expect tool released soon, its on insiders right now.

Reactions: ZedClampet
Aug 26, 2021
Visit site
The moment when both:
1. It's confirmed stable enough that there's pretty unquestioned legacy support
2. I get a CPU that I know without a doubt can handle it (lol)
I'll definitely switch.

I made the mistake of sticking out with 7 for too long, it started becoming more and more of a pain to miss out on features and support. So when I can - might as well get it over with!
🤷‍♂️

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I meet all of the requirements, but probably will stick with Windows 10 for a few months after the 11 is released. Don't want to risk compatibility problems, especially given the fact that I play a lot of older games. I'm aware that the differences in comparison to Win10 aren't huge and everything should work fine in the end, but I'll wait just in case. After a few months since its release, I'll seriously consider switching to the new system, because why not? It'll be available free for Win10 users after all.

Reactions: mainer
i watched a few videos on its new features tonight as I used it 3 weeks now and it is difficult to spot changes. I found many of the changes are to features I don't use and it explains why I didn't notice.
Some of the under the hood changes only work if you have the new Intel CPU architecture
that aren't out yet, but how much that effects AMD systems comparative performance is another thing. there might not be any advantage to it - its unknown

Only found one thing I might use I didn't know about, can load Linux into a VM inside windows 11 without needing VM software, so I have ubuntu now but I don't really know how to use it... I can mostly ignore it.
Very little changed I use on a daily basis.

i watched a few videos on its new features tonight as I used it 3 weeks now and it is difficult to spot changes. I found many of the changes are to features I don't use and it explains why I didn't notice.
Some of the under the hood changes only work if you have the new Intel CPU architecture
that aren't out yet, but how much that effects AMD systems comparative performance is another thing. there might not be any advantage to it - its unknown

Only found one thing I might use I didn't know about, can load Linux into a VM inside windows 11 without needing VM software, so I have ubuntu now but I don't really know how to use it... I can mostly ignore it.
Very little changed I use on a daily basis.

I heard, I think on a podcast that a lot of the upgrade to Windows 11 coming is to do with the scheduler in Windows 10 not really being able to handle the upcoming big.little Alder Lake chips efficiently.

When Ryzen first showed up I recall there being some teething problems in certain benchmarks and software due to its use of CCX's and Windows not really understanding how to 'talk' to chips designed that way.

Quick Google shows I heard at least partly right. I only have a superficial understanding of this stuff but it would make sense if the actual interface and user experience hadnt changed much in that case.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I wish win 11 knew how fast my CPU is running at any time, it always sees it as over 4ghz when in reality its often only idling at 300mhz - on average anyway, Ryzen speed jumps up and down constantly but I only watch the average which means that although 1 core might be doing about 1ghz on average others are near 100, so average is normally close to 300mhz

I still wish it was closer to reality, only programs that get it right are hwinfo and ryzen master
So windows isn't even right now, and win 11 doesn't seem to have changed that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pifanjr
Mar 28, 2021
Visit site
Apparently my CPU is not supported, so I guess not.
I've read some articles about how the restrictions seem quite arbitrary, so I'll wait and see if they change their mind or not.
Otherwise I suppose I will eventually get a new PC and also upgrade at the same time, but it's not going to be this year.

The requirements bend in the wind

If you install using an Installer USB you don't need to match the CPU requirements, you just need:
tpm version 1.2 enabled
64gb storage
4gb ram
Dual core CPU

Hardest part of that is TPM.

I suspect you probably need UEFI boot method and Secure boot, but I don't have enough info on it, since its only today that OEM can download the preview build of the pre release version of 11. Its not open for us yet since 11 not out till October 5.

I'll use it when I'm offered the free upgrade, but it's not a big difference, just some minor improvements, not much to be excited about. It's a very small change compared to previous Window version updates..

What can I do in win 11 I can't do in win 10.... crickets

okay, I can run ubuntu in terminal but I had to think for a while about something it did extra. and really I haven't used it as I would need to know linux.
They actually let you have multiple desktop wallpapers on different virtual desktops but that is just them adding some work to something they started in 10, maybe by windows 15 it will let you have different icons on desktop or on taskbar, and it will remember apps that were open on it when you shut down... sort of what I wanted in 10. I might be dead before they get it finished.
Other people might find other things, I find most of the new features aren't things I would use or are for laptop users.

There is nothing in it I would upgrade PC just to have. I only taking it cause its free. Sometime before June 2022. Releases Oct 5 but don't expect it right away.

Every time phone app updates it complains that my security settings won't let it use my Microphone... I don't have one. This is a PC, not a laptop. I already gave feedback about that,

All their advertising is about laptops, Most of us don't use them.

I don't use desktop icons. Up until a month ago I would always have a toolbar on my taskbar that showed what was on my desktop, and I would run with Desktop icons hidden. But Windows 11 removed the ability to add a toolbar so I will never see my desktop icons again as I don't like them messing up my desktop wallpaper. will make it difficult to run any games though. I will work something out.

I don't use desktop icons. Up until a month ago I would always have a toolbar on my taskbar that showed what was on my desktop, and I would run with Desktop icons hidden. But Windows 11 removed the ability to add a toolbar so I will never see my desktop icons again as I don't like them messing up my desktop wallpaper. will make it difficult to run any games though. I will work something out.

I don't use my desktop at all. I just looked at what's there and there's 26 icons and I'm pretty sure I have only clicked one of them in the past few months.

TRENDING THREADS