Are you going to switch to Windows 11?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Windows 10 will be supported up to 2025 right?
If that's the case I probably wont be changing until i'm forced to change, plus i'm rocking a pretty old CPU and have no idea if it's even supported.
I know I should have upgraded my system a long time ago but i'd have to change motherboard, cpu and ram and admittedly my system can do pretty much everything I need it to atm.
Sadly some games don't support it though, Red Dead Redemtion 2 for example 😢

I don't use my desktop at all. I just looked at what's there and there's 26 icons and I'm pretty sure I have only clicked one of them in the past few months.

My desktop just reminds me of a mistake I made. I moved my onedrive folder and messed up somehow and now I have duplicate icons for everything on desktop. I would fix it if I had to see them everyday, it would be an easy fix. I just ignore it. AS far as I know its just shortcuts.

its just windows. sitting on other side, using win 11 for a month, I don't see the fuss.

Maybe I am unable to see it from perspective of someone who can't install it but I want to let them use my PC for a week and after ask, whats the difference? Apart from graphics, whats different? Trial runs of windows 11 would soon have people realizing they aren't missing anything. The benefits are imagined, the videos made you think it was amazing now, when I think they were just good actors. Most of the things they showed off aren't even in win 11 yet. It was all hype. Didn't anyone learn from Cyberpunk? stop believing cutscenes. They aren't the game... but I digress.

I had a Vista PC when 8 was announced, I didn't go mad and think, oh no I need a new PC to use it... no, I just accepted that mine wasn't good enough and kept using my vista machine until I had to upgrade to 7 (after a GPU died, and I had to return the replacement GPU as it died too, Vista decided it was a good time to ask for a new license so I upgraded to 7). You don't have to have new Windows right away, in the past its been smart to wait and let other people find all the problems.

I haven't found any yet.

Last edited:

OsaX Nymloth

Community Contributor
Probably will make a switch, but not instantly. There's few functions than may be interesting and my new rig - once I have it - will be able to use them. Will look at opinions from early adopters and see how things are looking after few months. Somehow I doubt it will be a sea of issues, but with OS and Microsoft, you never know.

Also yes, Fences was cool. I used it for years, but stopped after basically never seeing my desktop for more than few minutes per day. And after some version they wanted $ for it, so I just saved my installer for previous version just in case and never went back.

Windows 10 will be supported up to 2025 right?
Right, at least until 2025-10-14.

whats the difference?
I might be interested in Snap Layouts, sometimes I need 4 windows open together so that should save time aligning them.

Are any of the gaming-oriented things likely to be useful?
DirectX12 Ultimate
DirectStorage
Auto HDR

in the past its been smart to wait
Absolutely. I've been on Win since 3.0, and the only one I got out the gate was Win7—because all the previews from credible sources had been very positive, and MS offered a great pre-purchase deal.
All other Wins have had a year or so of teething issues, leading to the eneral user policy of waiting for the first Service Pack.

Fences … they wanted $ for it
It goes on sale at least twice a year for $5.

DirectX12 Ultimate
DirectStorage
DirectX Ultimate already in win 10, for about a year now. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/directx-12-ultimate-game-ready-driver/
Direct Storage is coming to windows 10

They all likely useful but not unique to 11

Auto HDR - No idea, I don't have a HDR screen.

Windows 11 right now is as stable as Windows 10 is now. So not grabbing it right away if you can use it doesn't make a lot of sense. My point is, its not that much different to 10 so going mad and buying a new PC just to have win 11 doesn't make sense right now.

Biggest problem is normally driver support. Since every windows 10 driver works with win 11 and we have 6 years of history, the only devices that will have problems are anything that probably doesn't work well with 10 now. So I expect lots of fun with WIFI drivers as too many people try to keep using 10 year old dongles that always worked before... Realtek based wifi cards are the worst right now.

Last edited:
Check out Fences—a double-click hides all icons, another reveals. Can also 'roll-up' fences so only the title shows, not icons—sort of a half-way solution I use a lot.
I remember Fences from long ago, when I used to use desktop icons.

I only have space for one monitor so having them all on 2nd screen isn't an option. So I am using the closest I can get, multi desktop
6Uotco8.jpg

at least it has a different wallpaper on each,

Reactions: Brian Boru
hmmm, I, for one, will stick with Windows 10 until the end of its life cycle, or until Steam OS becomes a viable OS for a daily driver. 😉

The only thing that honestly tempts me to try out windows 11 is it's native android app support. 🤔

Having used it a year now, its windows... the differences aren't that great below the surface.

I don't understand the point of android integration. Its not like its the play store, its just Amazon.
It probably works better on laptop but I don't need/want android apps on a desktop

Next version update of Win 11 out next month but its more window dressing.

Part of me wants more change but another knows that every version of windows Vista has basically just sold itself on the new UI, the changes below surface take time.

Its not better or worse than Win 10, its just different.

Hmmm. You learn something new every day. I didn't even know about Android integration until I read these posts about it. I'll have to try it out.

Part of me wants more change but another knows that every version of windows Vista has basically just sold itself on the new UI, the changes below surface take time.
Vista added Aero, though. It's true that Aero was mainly perceived in the UI. But it was a pretty huge change under the hood for how things were done graphically. Vista caught a lot of flack, but I actually loved it, especially after the first Service Pack came out. Haha, I actually forgot about Service Packs until right now.

Vista added more than that, it also added:
  • system restore
  • Speech recognition
  • Photo gallery
  • DVD maker
  • UAC
Win 7 was just vista with a different UI, by time it was released most people had a newer PC and could run it better. It was slightly lighter on usage compared to vista. Windows version that can use least amount of ram to boot is win 10. They been getting lighter each version, same tests haven't been run for 11. Its probably similar.

I used vista until about 2013 when I had a run of bad luck with GPU and on 2nd install in just over a week it decided it wanted a new licence so I just bought win 7 and avoided wasting time getting all the updates. My internet was slow back then, reinstalling windows would take a day just getting updates... now, fresh install of win 11 takes 20 minutes... updates another 20

I liked vista, helps PC was built to run it.

I got really good at clean installing Windows ME. Apart from initial installs on this PC, the last time I clean installed is about 4 years ago now. Windows hasn't been a reason to reinstall in a long time.

That is probably why i didn't see it listed in vista additions.
I should have remembered it was ME. System restore would be my hail Mary before reinstalling again. That OS was broken.
XP was so nice after ME. But I wasn't one of those to worship it and just accepted almost all new versions of windows except 8. I never understood people wanting to emulate older desktops just cause it was what they used to. Eventually it will break so you might as well just learn to change.

That is probably why i didn't see it listed in vista additions.
I should have remembered it was ME. System restore would be my hail Mary before reinstalling again. That OS was broken.
XP was so nice after ME. But I wasn't one of those to worship it and just accepted almost all new versions of windows except 8. I never understood people wanting to emulate older desktops just cause it was what they used to. Eventually it will break so you might as well just learn to change.
I used every version of Windows from 3.11 on, except NT, and I didn't hate any of them, like a lot of people did. I think 8 was probably my least favorite, but I didn't hate it. Really, 3.11 was probably my least favorite. I was glad to upgrade to 95. I think it was probably Win7 before we stopped seeing a lot of BSOD, though.

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS