Any thoughts or room for improvement/better cost-effectiveness on my build?

Jan 22, 2021
Visit site
This is my first pc build (bought a pre-built previously), and I'm being quite overwhelmed with the number of things I need to research. For now, this is the build I have. My original budget was $1500-$1650 AUD, but now I have gone a bit over, due to the fact that originally I was going to buy a 5700xt for $600, but all the ones I can find in stock where I'm from (Australia) are for $700~, so at that point it just seems better to buy a 3070 which I managed to find at $970 and in stock, so that I don't have to upgrade for at least 6 years (hopefully). I play on 144hz at 1440p, and I'm looking to achieve at least that on any game I play with at least the majority of settings on high. Is the 3070 overkill for that? I was also planning to maybe get a 3060-ti, but the only ones in stock are for $900 so it definitely doesn't seem worth it.

Is the psu, motherboard, and ram good enough?

I already have a 512gb ssd on my current pc, can I just use that on my new pc? Will it be slower than a new one because it's around 5 years old and has a lot of files? 512gb definitely won't be enough for me, but can I just like buy a 500gb ssd and combined that with my current one somehow?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this.

Dec 21, 2020
Visit site
I'm no expert, but it doesn't look to me as if you will have any problems at all with CPU/mobo combo.

Don't see issues with the ram either. With SSD you might think about throwing your OS on one (I use a 250) and another drive for everything else. You can use as many as you want (or the mobo supports, which should be six-ish?) Formatting and setting them up isn't difficult at all.

However, as mentioned above that PSU is more than likely inadequate as far as powering a 3070 goes. I have a 3060ti myself and I tried to overshoot the reqs a bit, plumped for a 650 gold from a solid manufacturer. If it were me I'd look at that as a minimum.

TRENDING THREADS