Any recommended single player RPG games with 2(or more) factions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm fairly new to the world of RPG gaming. I'm seeking single player (possible to play offline) RPG games that make the player choose a faction/side which has it's own unique quests and story (similar to World of Warcraft's horde-alliance dynamic). If possible, each faction should have classes/races to choose from like in WOW. My preference for 3D behind the character 3rd person (non isometric) view but I'm opened to all suggestions.
Thanks in advanced for any suggestion.

[Mod edit: changed 'PRG' in title to 'RPG'.]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never played WOW or any MMO's, as I just have no interest in that type of gaming. But if you're really looking for single player RPGs with factions, the Risen games (1-3) as @Pifanjr mentioned are great, as are the older Gothic games and the Elex games, all from Piranha Byes. Those are all 3rd person perspective type RPGs.

There are also the Elder Scrolls games (like Skyrim) that have factions and are in 1st person perspective. CRPGs, like the Pillars of Eternity games (especially the 2nd one) also have factions that you have to deal with.

I know it was just mentioned by @mainer but I would also recommend Elder Scrolls games, Skyrim inparticular, there are factions to join in that game and its a good one to play for beginners in RPGs imo. There is also a way to play that game in 3rd person, its 1st person natively though.

Skyrim Special Edition (on sale now for 13 bucks)

Zloth

Community Contributor
ELEX fits pretty well. Third person, got to pick a faction - but everyone is human. The game is fairly tough at the start, so expect to do a lot of running away for the first few hours. It's also seriously janky, so I don't think I would recommend it to somebody new to RPGs.

Skyrim doesn't fit as well. You don't get asked to join a faction for some time, and you're free to join several. It's vastly better for new players, though.

The factions in the old Vampires: The Masquerade - Bloodlines are strong, but it's one where you simply pick which faction to be in at character creation.

Honestly, while many RPGs do have factions, very few make you pick one and change accordingly. That requires the developers to do a lot of work that most people won't ever see. Most do it more like guilds in Skyrim where just about anyone can join.

Skyrim doesn't fit as well. You don't get asked to join a faction for some time, and you're free to join several. It's vastly better for new players, though.
The part I underlined isn't true. You get asked to join the Imperial Legion immediately after the opening sequence, and you're also pretty quickly faced with the alternative of joining the Stormcloaks. That's about as early in the game as possible. Then you're kind of railroaded to go to Whiterun before anything else, and if you spend any time there at all, you're quickly faced with becoming a part of the Companions.

You don't have to do any of them, but they're offered to you pretty quickly after you start the game.

Zloth

Community Contributor
The part I underlined isn't true. You get asked to join the Imperial Legion immediately after the opening sequence, and you're also pretty quickly faced with the alternative of joining the Stormcloaks. That's about as early in the game as possible. Then you're kind of railroaded to go to Whiterun before anything else, and if you spend any time there at all, you're quickly faced with becoming a part of the Companions.
You are? I don't remember that. I was thinking of the Companions as being the first. When you start, you've got to get out of that starting tutorial, then to that little village, then to that dungeon close by up the mountain... or, wait, did I just go there on my own or did somebody tell me to? Arg.

I don't remember doing the Stormcloak/Imperial decision for a VERY long time. Those fights were end game stuff for me.

You are? I don't remember that. I was thinking of the Companions as being the first. When you start, you've got to get out of that starting tutorial, then to that little village, then to that dungeon close by up the mountain... or, wait, did I just go there on my own or did somebody tell me to? Arg.

I don't remember doing the Stormcloak/Imperial decision for a VERY long time. Those fights were end game stuff for me.
Well, you don't have to do the Stormcloak/Imperial thing right away. I actually never did either of them.

But in the very beginning of the game when you're freed from execution by Alduin the dragon, you can either follow Hadvar or Ralof. If you follow Hadvar, he takes you to his uncle's house in Riverwood and says you should join the Imperials. If you follow Ralof, he says you should become a Stormcloak. That's when you get the side quests.

Zloth

Community Contributor
But in the very beginning of the game when you're freed from execution by Alduin the dragon, you can either follow Hadvar or Ralof. If you follow Hadvar, he takes you to his uncle's house in Riverwood and says you should join the Imperials. If you follow Ralof, he says you should become a Stormcloak. That's when you get the side quests.
Wow, I've completely forgotten that!

Reactions: Pifanjr
Nov 24, 2022
Visit site
I recommend playing the Wizardry game; you will need to create a party of heroes, choose each race and class, and explore the dungeon under the city of Lilgamin.

I have played a ton of skyrim but as a "chose your faction game" i would say it's kinda bad, the factions never mean anything for the gameworld exept for the sort of sidequest of Impreials vs Stormkloaks but they hardly matter in the end either :(

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jan 26, 2022
Visit site
I haven't read through all of these, but Fallout 4 has 4 factions, Brotherhood of Steel, The Institute, The Militia, and the Railroad. They all have stuff for you to do. If you have the DLCs there are even more factions to confuse you. There are some in Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas as well. I believe there are some in Cyberpunk 2077 as well, but haven't really spent a lot of time in that thing.

Reactions: mainer
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS