Another question about liking posts

I just signed up today, and I see that this forum is like a lot of forums where you can't Like posts right away. I've seen other threads where people explain that you have to "stick around for a while" in order to be able to Like. So I'm just wondering if anyone can clarify that for me? Is it based on your post count or your time here? I'm hoping to become an active part of this community, and I'm just wondering what the qualifications are and how long I'll have to wait to be able to do that.

Please see here:

Thanks, I did see that, but it didn't explain how it works. But I see from Colif's post that they don't want us to know how it works.

The barriers are hidden as we get a lot of spam and the like feature was being abused. Some people were getting too many just for saying Minecraft in posts, one guy got 1200 likes for 1 post. It made getting 80 a day possible without even being here... I know as it was happening to me.

if you stick around, and keep posting, the abilities will come
Pretty crazy. I believe it happens, but I have no idea why it happens. How does that benefit a bot or someone being malicious to like a bunch of posts? Haha.

[Mod edit: TMI :)]

I'm liking the community so far here.

its possible liked posts get seen more by google search
Its possible they thought giving likes would open forums up more to them
Its possible they thought receiving likes from their friends would also open forums up to them.

We don't know but it was a little mad there for a while.

Users may not notice the spam problem, we try to keep it that way.
A few years ago, I was a mod on a pretty active Nintendo forum. So I know all about the tireless work of combatting spam, and how underappreciated the mods are. So I'm grateful for what the mods do.

It's very rare that we have people who understand what goes on behind the curtains in order to keep the cogs in our machine move without a hiccup.

Your understanding of how they work is highly appreciated! Glad to have you in our community.
:)
Glad to be here. Personally, my biggest headaches with modding were keeping the peace between people who were always at each other's throats, and staving off malicious trolls who posted awful stuff out of spite and used VPNs to evade us. After what I went through, I never want to be a mod again. So I'm grateful for you poor saps! Lol.

TRENDING THREADS