AMD APU build with possible GPU upgrade

Nov 25, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
with this black friday i was thinking to build my first pc. Since at the moment my budget is pretty low i was thinking to go for this build and to upgrade in the future with maybe a 1660ti or super.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3400G 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($70.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($145.00 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 110Q ATX Mid Tower Case ($67.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link Archer T5E PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $323.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-25 07:41 EST-0500

The games i would play are minecraft, league of legends, crusader kings iii, maybe baldur's gate 3.
Do you think it's worth it? And the build is correct or should i change something?
Thanks a lot.

Nov 25, 2020
Visit site
I can see that the final price of the build is 600$ on the link you shared , for the games you want to play like Minecraft and League of Legends , they don't require such a strong GPU or that much ram , but considering you are going with a Ryzen 5 3200 MHz is more than enough, my suggestion with a good GPU that you might stick with for a couple of years would be the new RTX 3070 it is around the price of 400$ but for the performance and quality it shares, it's a hell of a deal , the Geforce 1660 is a bit outdated and it might run as well the games for much longer , considering the new era of pc parts and updates on the games , with the 1660 if you want to have a smooth and enjoyable time while playing Minecraft you would need around 160FPS with all setting on high , but with the new versions of Minecraft that might not be possible , I myself I am glad to have a Ryzen processor because it boosts up your GPU performance unlike the Intel processors. In conclusion I would recommend you gather a bit more money for a better GPU that would last you for a longer period of time , who knows , what other games you might want to play in the future ! Good luck with making the right decision , I hope I helped you out !

Nov 25, 2020
Visit site
I can see that the final price of the build is 600$ on the link you shared , for the games you want to play like Minecraft and League of Legends , they don't require such a strong GPU or that much ram , but considering you are going with a Ryzen 5 3200 MHz is more than enough, my suggestion with a good GPU that you might stick with for a couple of years would be the new RTX 3070 it is around the price of 400$ but for the performance and quality it shares, it's a hell of a deal , the Geforce 1660 is a bit outdated and it might run as well the games for much longer , considering the new era of pc parts and updates on the games , with the 1660 if you want to have a smooth and enjoyable time while playing Minecraft you would need around 160FPS with all setting on high , but with the new versions of Minecraft that might not be possible , I myself I am glad to have a Ryzen processor because it boosts up your GPU performance unlike the Intel processors. In conclusion I would recommend you gather a bit more money for a better GPU that would last you for a longer period of time , who knows , what other games you might want to play in the future ! Good luck with making the right decision , I hope I helped you out !
Thanks for your reply, honestly a 3070 seems a bit too overkill for my needs, i'm not an hardcore gamer and i don't really want to spend too much on this pc but sure i'll keep an eye on discounts and secondhand 3070 if it's worth it.
Do you think that without the dedicated graphic card i could play for some months, maybe a year or it would just be better to wait and buy directly the pc with the gpu?

Nov 25, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for your reply, honestly a 3070 seems a bit too overkill for my needs, i'm not an hardcore gamer and i don't really want to spend too much on this pc but sure i'll keep an eye on discounts and secondhand 3070 if it's worth it.
Do you think that without the dedicated graphic card i could play for some months, maybe a year or it would just be better to wait and buy directly the pc with the gpu?
The 1660 wouldn't be that bad , just that it's a bit old and in possible 1 or 2 years it's not gonna be as good

1660 isnt bad by any means but getting something with a little more power future proofs it so you can use it for a good 3 or 4 years and still crush games, even if your other parts arent all high end, the 30xx series really shouldnt have to upgrade at least for 1 full generation of gpus so i would make that the first part to have more money in it, and then upgrade say your ram. I know its hard to get a 3070 right now, but the price difference between the two should roughly be 2 to 3 hundred, but that goes miles with how much a 3070 does now and will do way down the line than a 1660, not to talk crap on it. IMO.

Hi. I'll chime in and say that a 2tb mechnaical drive shouldnt be costing you 145 dollars, if that what the price as when you picked it.

Really I suggest picking up a cheap 1tb sata SSD for half that cost, mechanical drive for the operating system in 2020 is a big no no. If 1TB isnt enough its easy to add down the road, a 1TB Seagate Baracuda should be costing you less then 50 dollars. You wont regret getting an SSD.

You are wasting the $30 or so by getting the APU if youre just going to replace it. But its your decision if you must have it now that its worth the extra cost over getting the R3 3100 at the same time as a GPU and waiting. I don't think the 3400g will play Baldurs gate, but the other games you mentioned shold be O.K I think.

Reactions: OD13
Jan 30, 2020
Visit site
I agree Kaamos_Llama. A 2TB HDD for that much isn't worth it, especially when you can get a very good SSD for that price. Yeah, getting a HDD is a big no-no imo too. If you can wait a month or two... jan 2021 or later, early 2021, AMD and NVIDIA will release their less powerful GPUs, which will most definitely be much better value for the performance compared with the 1660 Ti. You can read up on current generation GPUs vs. past gen. GPUS and if the trend holds, then those less powerful GPUs will be worth the wait

TRENDING THREADS