Alan Wake 2 - snooze fest?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Status
Not open for further replies.
continuing where I left off yesterday, I had a blast with the game for another 3-4 hrs this evening. Not just with the story, but the exploration part as well. When the game tells you that you can optionally go and expolore areas that were unaccesible before, do that, there's a lot to see and find there. I very much like the puzzle solving activities and free roaming, so I definitely will take a detour if I have a chance

managed to get into the overlap to face Cynthia and free Tor
zAnXWWo.jpg

the taken got a little scarier in this chapter
Bnd0aZq.jpg

still, made it to the jukebox and it led me to the overlap in the pond
pErdrII.jpg

8VyeBeD.jpg

the story got connected to Tom Zane,whom Alan previously met in the hotel chapter.Tom turned out to be Cynthia's fascination and the fear of losing him the source of her madness. The taken need to have a weakness for the dark presence to exploit, Tom turned out to be Cynthia's.
7LlFykm.jpg

The loops in the overlap again, part of building suspense. Might be simple, but you never know which lap is the one where you face the dark presence.
pFY1Icd.jpg

9mIGbNV.jpg

right they were, the old hag grabs you from under the water if you're not careful.
8GpI2MF.jpg

managed to find Cynthia Weaver eventually and take her down. tougher than previous overlap fights. took a flare, five rifle rounds and about four or five sawed off reloads to get rid of her. the shotgun is a great weapon and there's plenty of ammo for it, but takes way too long to reload, so as soon as I gathered enough weapon points (newspaper scraps from lunchboxes), I upgraded the reload speed. I don't get why they made the pistol so useless though, it takes a few headshots to bring down a normal taken, I can't imagine taking down a boss. You'd need a hundred shots with it.
qo8ywp2.jpg

jo5eBmg.jpg

Alan still needs to play his part in this yet if there's to be a happy ending. Nothing's set in stone yet. There's hope and thanks to Tor, Saga knows her gift is more than intuition now. The mind place is the Anderson family secret that her mother kept hidden from her, fearing it's too powerful and risky to know she can read people's thoughts.
sRZbali.jpg

8cNRqQb.jpg

lKfB5hx.jpg

RrOLfIN.jpg

bright falls area exploration (light spoilers, not main story related, but still gonna hide it just in case)

The Valhalla Nursing Home used to be Tom Zane's manor that he bought at the peak of his success, later on turned into a nursing home that someone was supposed to renovate but ran off with the money and left the place in bad condition, with a lot of leaks-basement completely flooded. It might have a connection to the dark presence, as it was mentioned that the overlap always has something to do with water (first one was a lake, then a pond). Now that I think about it, I could have checked if the flooding in the basement is gone after Cynthia was driven away from the place. Might still do it today, though it'd require a lot of backpeddling just for a tiny nuance. Wake was involveed in this too.
8AXyNep.jpg

yZ3HuAO.jpg

The sunset in the woods that lead to the Bright Falls shore. Screens don't do it justice, you have to see how amazing the light is in game with PT enabled when everything is basking in the orange, setting sun. The light blending with every object in the environment is spectacular.
FLqeNua.jpg

qvxn36n.jpg

Ky1KdBi.jpg

QlC3yS7.jpg

uoZWHQM.jpg

Hate those beasts
ZxHE4Et.jpg

A cabin that turned out to be one of FBC's bases in the area. There were emails on it about being attacked by those damn rabid wolves. Also, another riddle with a pretty unique, one-off charm. Might use that later for some boss.
1MV2S1J.jpg

vn6kxQC.jpg

D0KCBsN.jpg

Getting even creepier......
vJozE9Y.jpg

2QuHl8j.jpg

found a new type of weapon in a cult crate, a flare that works like a rocket. great for enemies grouped together or single, powerful ones.

b2wiL4K.jpg

more riddles, getting better at solving them

2wnE4oe.jpg

the boatyard looked really cool in the sunset
MiHB3eZ.jpg

W2fAD6v.jpg

dotBOiW.jpg

3zxQ9OZ.jpg

back to town to continue with the story
nEbD1YK.jpg

made my way back to the Valhalla Nursing Home to check the basement, again having to deal with the taken in the deep, dark woods on the way. And no, the flood water didn't recede like all other ones after closing the overlap. It must have not been related to the dark presence, just some guy neglecting house repairs. Turns out water is sometimes just water.
pJC3qMR.jpg

EEIarjM.jpg

Gonna switch it up a little bit tomorrow, playing as Wake. It's so cool you can play the game from the perspective of the writer and the characters interchangably at any moment, and they both click.

Last edited:
Back to NYC part of the story

First there was the subway, then the hotel, now a cinema. Zane featured in the story again, and early on was revealed to be the directorof a film worshipped by the cult. Alan had met Zane before, in the hotel where he was chasing Scratch, but Alex Casey was only now figuring out that his films had a major role in the ritualistic murders.

krYcwC2.jpg

7xIqv9V.jpg

nP0AkAK.jpg

VxdRPFc.jpg

Zane revealed to Alan the next ritual murder took place in a cinema, and was part of the plot of his movie. Or maybe the movie and the ritual were both real.....
C12onTv.jpg

4ZFuU00.jpg

T0Eg8aC.jpg

prVAois.jpg

The events were to be revealed through the movie

Shyc8uT.jpg

WBn4Pgt.jpg

The clues led to Casey hot on the trail of the cult i nthe movie theater, but confused by what he's chasing after.
kws6x61.jpg

F7ziQws.jpg

puflpx7.jpg

The shadow of Casey's conversation with one of the cult leaders (looked like the Koskela brothers) revealed the cult was aware of Casey, and would have a plan prepared to deal with him

PZ4hKXp.jpg

The plot only got darker after finding the theater hall, something nasty invloving the cult, zane's film and Casey was about to be revealed......

RNdi5Nh.jpg

EShwDwF.jpg

hmNnyNB.jpg

AOZsNLv.jpg

zK9C0IW.jpg

Alan had to make his way to the projection room, through some unobvious routes, among hordes of shadowy figures, switching between parts of the ritual, and with the use of his lamp....
fq80WRw.jpg

ghNFhkU.jpg

qrwGeZU.jpg

WR1Q9WR.jpg

xHqUHfs.jpg

2vfPASD.jpg

RvTMb9I.jpg

the cops were in cahoots with the cult
0hX4WAk.jpg

Alan found himself in a mazy loop leading to the grandmaster of the cult, and Alex Casey being held by the cult

jFCsrPH.jpg

Q1Fk3gr.jpg

OnMPOgZ.jpg

XqaGquF.jpg

GSBVYh8.jpg

The cult of the word planned to do to Casey and Wake what they did to them in Bright Falls. Turn from hunted into hunters
KXLIWGs.jpg

xSZVqgN.jpg

the loop finished with Alan finding the projection loop, the central part to revealing the ritual in the movie
q6ZMKYq.jpg

i0CQnje.jpg

.....and that's where I finished for now. Another absolutely brilliantly constructed chapter, not yet seen the end of it though.

Last edited:
The Real-Barca game got settled pretty quickly, so I went back to finish the chapter after all.
The projection room was the scene of pretty nasty stuff, involving the cops' cult initiation ritual.
SWDLxiY.jpg

5o5TXFL.jpg

Wake and Saga met again, in between the worlds
PYDo4gJ.jpg

Nightless Night was playing in the hall when Wake left the projection room, pretty gruesome stuff, the inspiration behind the cult's ritual. Featured Sam Lake but not as a detective Alex Casey, he was a finnish man that was targetted by a cult hidden behind masks.
lk9CyFN.jpg

7DM21nD.jpg

95RaldG.jpg

c9objZ3.jpg

atOKdcx.jpg

I'm yet to figure out the role Ahti the Janitor has in the story. He features in almost every chapter, background parts, but seems there's something about him too. Sam seemed to trust him in the movie
xWxtXxC.jpg

dVlpWxZ.jpg

the cult in the movie was just as mad and ruthless as in Bright Falls. The actual cult even adopted the same symbol. Jakko Koskela, or the same character by other name, was Sam's brother in the movie, and the leader of the cult, like in Saga's story.
mMmC8Wr.jpg

slGYtBm.jpg

LMgHwvb.jpg

rrPorHu.jpg

4xPuvVN.jpg

MovYlTT.jpg

kj9HKDM.jpg

5YHyKeS.jpg

nRCXilA.jpg

the acts of the cult left a pretty bad mark on Alex
Ug5D3ux.jpg

pY5xzgW.jpg

Alan had to get back to the Parliment Tower to save Alice, but before he can do that, Saga's part of the story needs to progress further. I guess she needs to grab the real Wake from the hands of the FBC, not his book alter ego, and finally figure out to act in unison.
QbOzCKu.jpg

TMqlt7y.jpg

IO2juBi.jpg

Alan got a call from his latter self, with instructions to grab and deposit his wife's photos from the late night show's studio basement, as he'd apparently need them for something later on.
sAmWlLl.jpg

lBPBq7Y.jpg

aDBqVzS.jpg

ipYndd3.jpg

bYelhqY.jpg
Absolutely fascinating stuff this game is !

Last edited:
Reactions: Brian Boru
35hrs in, progressed the story far enough that I'll just take my time now to go back to finish with the exploration/puzzle solving stuff, and then back to story finale.

If you wish to see some cool shots of what led to Saga coming close to figuring out a way to solve the case, along with some world exploration ones, here they are.
Yfc7lDs.jpg

3n3Q5ev.jpg

ZOSKmdV.jpg

qCBoR5N.jpg

1XmOvLj.jpg

dX1ByXI.jpg

0P5SxR4.jpg

smMQi42.jpg

Obi4D4r.jpg

iDApE7T.jpg

HoSoTAG.jpg

dT6kHBL.jpg

SD4on9J.jpg

zz39fiS.jpg

h1NDVXw.jpg

TgBVGE1.jpg

grSGJED.jpg

dY6X67e.jpg

TQJloWP.jpg

k1Ll2xR.jpg

gogrEF0.jpg

qEw0NQP.jpg

hvHjZ3O.jpg

Last edited:
Watery area cleared:
-all cult stashes
-all doll puzzles
-all lunch boxes

Cauldron Lake area next.
edit: nah, I just had to see Cauldron lake again like now, it's the best looking area of the game, and I haven't visited it since the early chapters.

dam doze skwerlz
jUMXHvv.jpg

0Ddi9ID.jpg

qcfR6nM.jpg

wDbUxxM.jpg

BLoG8b6.jpg

oJUK9xD.jpg

QA5L64i.jpg

KdE2CqI.jpg

7tNeDbi.jpg

aOdV6xV.jpg

A4gWZOp.jpg

MAvsGlz.jpg

BfitBPA.jpg

aDreYaK.jpg

Last edited:
RT means we can hide more on screen and pretend it looks better?
stop being so sour
we can have environment that looks accurate, like a cabin in the middle of the forest actually be dark where it's not lit and light where it is lit.
stop pretending like all RTGI does is make things dark. It makes dark places dark, and light places light.
which one actually looks like 4AM in a medieval building without electricity ?

Last edited:
I went to the Valhalla Nursing Home to look for Rose in order to ask her a few questions about the boxes she left for Saga. Didn't find her, the old folks say she runs off into the night at times. But since this used to be Tom Zane's mansion in the past, I found what I assume was an early draft of Nightless Night in the flooded basement. It blows my mind that now we have pt reflections in games, that not only look perfect, but actually get accurately distorted when Saga moves in the water they're being reflected in.

wa2IxGv.jpg

ySn0nRU.jpg

z5SkVNc.jpg

Last edited:
Past the point of no return, but not yet at the end of the journey
Saga arrived at the place in Cauldron Lake where it was all going to get down, was supposed to be a simple operation with Casey and the FBC- get Wake out, trap scratch, but what would thrillers be if everything went according to plan. I was counting on a plot twist, and got it.
Ihhb20w.jpg

2JUnXtk.jpg

3cJdJFX.jpg

SEZx5uT.jpg

loved the setting on the beach they created for the scene, glad I took a dozen shots of it cause it looked awesome.
TSmvI2O.jpg

0hbBOoB.jpg

dRgXZd0.jpg

RBW1N7f.jpg

iVMbBEh.jpg

had to survive hordes of taken, quite hard to do, but I managed.
z1GLR5z.jpg

r1kBjrI.jpg

z2ne2Xe.jpg

tS2MaZv.jpg

Czy64Zs.jpg

when the stage was set for scratch to come out of the darkenss, Wake was finally able to enter the tower and uncover the truth about him, that Saga already learnt before. There was never any Alan Wake that washed up on the shore after 13 years missing, it was always scratch trying to get the object of power (the clicker). Alan was trapped in the loop of his own book, tricked by scratch to confuse him with Alan's own self trying to fix the story so that Alice lives. The evil works in really evil ways in this game. A dark, tormenting presence that'll make you lose control over what is real and what isn't.
UEz6fNs.jpg

35zYzik.jpg

flrvZAm.jpg

fukgejD.jpg

Lzw59AP.jpg

aNfYpsO.jpg

Saga, with the help of FBC equipment and Casey, was ready to trap scratch in the special conrtainment unit that the FBC brought. I do remember those containment units from Control, though they served the purpose of storing objects of power (OOP's), not altered world events (AWE's).
7fsKbQP.jpg

q5q4kUU.jpg

kORgJNG.jpg

ty1iB1E.jpg

eORtnkU.jpg

CYXoSNq.jpg

the fight was tough, but eventually I figured it out. Saga trapped scratch in the containment unit
DeuyOmj.jpg

KY8ZBVu.jpg

sJ17Y4y.jpg

didn't take him long to explode it to pieces though, not really what the plan was.
OfPFgiR.jpg

BUY4NnC.jpg

dark presence got out and got into Casey. Some luck this guy has...... In the NYC part of the story, he was eventually hunted down by the cult, now he gets posessed by the presence that caused the murders he came to investigate in Bright Falls.
VXur0bA.jpg
get9nhD.jpg
E8wn65q.jpg
At least good news was, with Scratch now hosted by Casey, Wake was finally Wake, for the first time since the game started. And ready to actually try to use his writing to undo what scratch made him write.
WgMqUwI.jpg

EMQRogq.jpg

The FBC agent was not impressed, but at least now the person who needs to rewrite the events is not being driven by the dark force, so there's a chance... There was all of Alan's gear waiting for him there at the shore, to chase after scratch and maybe do some damage control.
P09jTyv.jpg

WXSKvId.jpg

vv7ZxIq.jpg

JsSdoVL.jpg

I really liked the way the things progressed, turns out even this late the game can surprise you with its storyline. I heard a lot of people complain about those late stages, I personally enjoy them a lot, and I'm glad the story is not over yet. In contrary, the dark presence only seemed to grow in power instead of being eradicated, but at least the hero is his old self now.
Made my way through those damned Cauldron Lake woods back to Bright Falls again
D7hsphP.jpg

AqeWEdR.jpg

NdIJIhQ.jpg

WhaWNA6.jpg

the flare gun doesn't do to the taken what it did to the shadows, but at least I can hide in the light now, whereas in the NYC part, the light was what exposed Alan
7Dbv3Vs.jpg

0bp28gv.jpg

iYQxFJa.jpg

srCQiDs.jpg

l1yj04p.jpg

chIbgqB.jpg

oh yes ,the dark presence is there, and stronger than ever

D8NfCFI.jpg

oh wait, is it ?
7ezF3YO.jpg

Last edited:
completed the first , let's call it a playthrough for now before the spoiler, of the game. Managed 64 out of 66 achievements, incl. most of the the very rare ones
Having entered the dark place again, Alan found himself in the middle of Deerfest, as written by scratch in "Return". Scratch made Wake's book a huge success, and the Deerfest a means of promoting the book, thanks to which more and more people would keep coming there, and being affected by the dark presence.
uqYRp7i.jpg

reo1vaM.jpg

nJxhame.jpg

39R9Gtc.jpg

Q0gOWXO.jpg

The real Wake had to get his hands on a copy of Return in odrer to add to the ending.
kWfcb1V.jpg

qlp6PTK.jpg

Once the book was in his hands, and he knew what scratch put in the ending, he had to find the access to his writing room. It was in Zane's old mansion. Scratch, in the form of agent Casey, tried to get to him, but he made it.
6QiP62s.jpg

btdFUwH.jpg

Coydcqe.jpg

mxAk1mY.jpg

rSFbgEc.jpg

Y8i8R4K.jpg

Jf2bLqN.jpg

m10dUlC.jpg

Once in there, he had to come up with an idea of what to add to scratch's story to prevent the eternal deerfest
2Ev7VO8.jpg

nMzYu0Q.jpg

Saga reached out to him through the overlap in her mind place, to establish what the goals of the story would be
v5mV1bv.jpg

nuZMd73.jpg

The dark presence tried to trap Saga in her own mind (to make her go insane by trying to make her blame herself for what happened to Casey and Logan in Scratch's version of the book), but she managed to find the way out through (regain common sense)
HVrzPzb.jpg
6nji8gh.jpg

udWLxZ5.jpg

W1D9uGV.jpg

PL5RHqy.jpg

LoamxMe.jpg

Having escaped, Saga found herself being written into the part of the book that took place in Alan's imagination/dream (NYC), where she found sargeant Tim Breaker talking about a piece of paper that he got from Mr. Door, the talk show host he was investigating. It was something he couldn't understand, but it was related to Saga and Wake. Door said something about two rooms always needing just one door to be connected.
Ei0MZKP.jpg

cB4rs50.jpg

Saga got a phonecall instructing her to collect something from the shoebox by the statue in the Parliament Tower Plaza.
Ren9GeC.jpg

euuCk6S.jpg

It was the clicker and some mysterous bullet made of light. Then she had an idea to contact Wake through the overlap in her mindplace to speak to him about the ending (what Wake experienced earlier, in his writer's room).
pdTR3c2.jpg

HSeX3ou.jpg

Saga made her way through the dark place entrance (the fountain in NYC) into the writer's room
ScyxSMj.jpg

CVlGM10.jpg

The hero had the pay the price, the bullet of light giving them a second chance to make it through another reality loop, but maybe a different one this time.
VOyHvDO.jpg

ABB4lCD.jpg

CejcVKq.jpg

Casey was freed from the dark place
WTYJaTw.jpg

vgr1Prv.jpg

ClAucn7.jpg

e16PmHS.jpg

the loop was not just part of the game. the game is a reality loop. every playthrough. brilliant idea. let's see what the next one brings.
puygjqP.jpg
MIILPUJ.jpg

ebvWPN3.jpg
IXpj1Ds.jpg
Remedy really brought a fascinating idea for a game into life. Kind of a niche one, I don't expect most people actually completing consecutive playthroughs to complete the story, but it is a brilliant concept for a story driven thriller imo. It's not for those who play games for casual relaxation, but if you're seeking to find fresh storyline ideas in thriller games, and not just kill zombies or aliens, this is an absolute classic. According to the achievement stats, only 29% of players completed the last chapter, so even the first loop had 71% of people quit. Not surprised, most people buying a thriller game expect a resident evil type of game, with focus on weapons and survival, not the depth of story.
Now even I need something else to play for a change, before going back for a second playthrough. Maybe shortly before the DLCs are released. Ghostwire tokyo maybe ?

Last edited:
I know I said I'm going to wait till just before the DLCs for the NG+, but try to stop me ha ha......

lDnWW2t.jpg

qdgB7A4.jpg

7yogHka.jpg

gP2XC1G.jpg

gx9hIiZ.jpg

especially when the game is incomplete without the second playthrough

I'm playing on "story" difficulty now, combat in this game is irrelevant for me.

the references that I found in Control

the thermos is an altered item that FBC were aware of

O4cQw2c.jpeg

the dark presence taking over people was reported too

tO7apw9.jpeg

tampering with the equipment in the FBC station in Bright Falls was referenced in a report as well. They also referenced sending this technician guy to look into it.......

AoNXDPQ.jpeg

5paYnML.jpeg

Alex Casey contacted the FBC about Wake.

hQePI1T.jpeg

Jesse appeared in Wake's writing. He was already working his way out of the dark by writing.

FTT59DZ.jpeg

sVtnnpW.jpeg

8MHkXcw.jpeg

there were also a few reports on interviews with Alice Wake conducted by the FBC where she's saying that Alan, or rather an entity that took his physical form, haunts her.

upgraded base to deluxe edition, includes two expansions (coming later in 2024), this trench coat and shotgun skin for saga (there's a new suit and shottie skin for alan too, but i'm playing saga atm)

6hd3V6X.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts