A game outside your comfort zone?

Julez

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
Happy Friday folks!

Have you ever taken a chance on a game that was outside your comfort zone? What I mean is a game that's maybe in a genre you don't usually play. For me, it was Dirt: Rally. Now, I don't really care for racing games, I especially don't care for hard games, I'm not even into cars. But Dirt: Rally sucked me in, and not just the regular old game. All assists turned off, HUD turned off, locked to cockpit camera only. There's something about just flying down the track with nothing but your co-driver calls that puts me in a zen state. I can't believe I have almost 300 hours in a racing game.

So, how about you? Any games you gave a chance thinking you probably wouldn't like? Or maybe a guilty pleasure game that's not "great" but you love?

Several times. Dark Souls, Sekiro, any "Souls-like" I've ever played. I managed to actually finish Dark Souls III but it was not a pleasant experience. Challenge (outside of puzzles) has never been my preference in games of any kind. Those specifically designed for challenge are way out of my comfort zone.

It's a shame really. Dark Souls ans its brethren have some incredibly designed worlds to explore, but much like golf the mechanics of the game (and my capability within those mechanics) spoil the trip. I have tried to enjoy them and I do at first, but challenge turns into frustration which in turn makes the game even harder.

Though it's a different question a game that's not great that I love is Murdered: Souls Suspect.

Julez

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
Ah nice! Dark Souls was definitely that kind of game for me as well. I gave the first one an honest try of about 5 hours and just could not do it.

I've been meaning to try Murdered: Soul Suspect for ages haha, just been sitting in my library. It looks so wonky, might be right up my alley!

Ah nice! Dark Souls was definitely that kind of game for me as well. I gave the first one an honest try of about 5 hours and just could not do it.

I've been meaning to try Murdered: Soul Suspect for ages haha, just been sitting in my library. It looks so wonky, might be right up my alley!

It falls kinda flat in terms of "exciting" gameplay. There is no real combat but it has atmosphere out the wazzoo, some nice set pieces, and the lore I really like. Also, make sure you pay extra attention to a particular display case in the police station.

Reactions: Julez
I think it was in 2015 I tried Terraria. I didn't think I would like the graphics, and playing an action / platformer with no story was something I didn't think I'd like. Anyway, the game sucked me in, and is now my second most played game on Steam, even though I first started playing on GOG. Moved over to Steam for better mod support.

Reactions: IndecentLouie

spvtnik1

Community Contributor
Jan 13, 2020
Visit site
For me it's games that are designed to make you uncomfortable, like SOMA (which I have but certainly haven't even installed yet), or Amnesia.... the horror games. Not that I don't like them, but I generally avoid those experiences. Maybe because I figure I'll eventually get cold feet and give up. I rarely finish games anyway, so I'd be even more likely not to finish a horror title.

Subnautica is definitely outside of my comfort zone. I'm the type that just feeling seaweed under my feet gives me the heebie geebies. The game puts some actual genuine fear in to me, and the first time I encountered one of those puffer fish I almost lost it. Same for the larger creatures.

On the other hand, Oxenfree was eerie and discomforting, but in a really good and playable way. Still need to finish up the last 1/4 or so of that one.

Reactions: Frindis and Julez

Julez

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
I'm the same way with horror games. I can only ever play them if I've got a friend with me, or if I'm doing it because people want to watch me scream my head off.

I've heard so much good stuff about Subnautica, I should really get in there and give it another try. Oxenfree sounds great, I think I keep getting it mixed up with Kentucky Route Zero in my mind for some reason. I should give both a go.

Oxenfree sounds great, I think I keep getting it mixed up with Kentucky Route Zero in my mind for some reason. I should give both a go.

I don't know anything about Kentuck Route Zero but now that it's been completed it's on my wishlist. It does have a similar look and feel as Oxenfree does (though a more muted color scheme) so your confusion is understandable.

As for Oxenfree it's a great little sci-fi/horror adventure that won't take more than 8 or so hours to finish.

Julez

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
I never thought I'd like deckbuilding games but now I play Slay the Spire, loved Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales, and have recently been enjoying Magic the Gathering: Arena.

Ah, interesting! I never play card battlers, but recently got really into watching a friend play Hearthstone's battle royale mode. It just feels intimidating to try to learn, but I enjoy watching it a lot haha.

As I try a variety of games, and genres continue to blur, I'm not even sure what my comfort zone/wheelhouse is at this point. But I will say that an element of a game I never imagined I'd get into but have since focused on far too much, is the in-game version of Gwent in The Witcher 3. I've never touched the standalone version, but I made it my mission [well, and the game made it one of my missions] to acquire as many Gwent cards from people as I can.

And I can also say it's definitely outside my wheelhouse, because I SUCK at it. Compared to the random tavern owners, at least. For every round/card I manage to win, there are easily four or five instances of me having my @$$ handed to me. It can get tiresome, but now it's sheer bloody-mindedness that motivates me to, at the very least, get a complete deck of each type, hopefully. So far I've only got Northern Realms and Nilfgaard, with a light smattering of the other decks, not enough to play them (or at least effectively.)

Making it extra weird is the fact that I've had a lifelong* aversion to CCG's, as it seemed financially treacherous and best that I avoid it. At least in Witcher 3 the only thing I'm spending is my time...

(* - Or at least as long as the genre has existed.)

Feb 14, 2020
Visit site
I recently played through Jedi: Fallen Order, on hard mode even. I don't usually play hack n' slash console style action games, or anything that cries out for a controller really. I usually stick to CRPG and FPS titles. However I love Star Wars enough I got Fallen Order anyway, and I actually really did enjoy it. Force pushing and parrying never really got old, and the Tomb Raider level design was fun to explore.

Not sure I'd play a bunch more like Devil May Cry or whatever, and Jedi Knight/KotOR are still way better for me, but it was fun.

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Got some nice ideas from this thread so I'll throw an oar in.

Outside of my comfort zone is probably FIFA or any other sports game. I loved to play sports IRL but I'm not into sports games since SWOS. Driving games also, I have little to no interest in cars. I did enjoy Colin Mcrae and V-Rally back in the day, but I havent for years.

One thing I noticed as time has gone on and I have less time to play. I dont have patience for stealth games as much as before. If I only have an hour to play I dont want to spend 20 minutes watching guards walk back and forth so I can plan an optimal silent route into an enemy base. I also have little patience for obtuse puzzles.

@McStabStab Same, I picked up Slay the Spire on Switch and its great to sit on the sofa and play while my daughter watches some TV for a half hour. I have around 100 hours in it because I'll play it when travelling and away from home too. Great game, wish there were more like it on Switch.

@Krud I think I spent the same amount of time playing Gwent as Witcher 3 overall. Guess I was an unconcious card game guy all along.

@StingingVelvet I'm going to try Jedi Fallen Order when it goes on sale sometime. I understood that it drew more from the Dark Souls series then anywhere else, any of those is worth it IMO. DS 3 is the most polished unsurprisingly but they are all fantastic.

Reactions: Krud and McStabStab

Julez

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
One thing I noticed as time has gone on and I have less time to play. I dont have patience for stealth games as much as before. If I only have an hour to play I dont want to spend 20 minutes watching guards walk back and forth so I can plan an optimal silent route into an enemy base. I also have little patience for obtuse puzzles.

Oh man, I feel this for sure. I used to love stealth in games, but I started to feel this weird pressure eventually that if I wasn't doing it perfectly, then I wasn't playing the game right, and it started to ruin the game for me. I think the last stealth game I played that I thoroughly enjoyed and finished was Neon Struct. Great little game on Steam!

Reactions: Kaamos_Llama
Oh man, I feel this for sure. I used to love stealth in games, but I started to feel this weird pressure eventually that if I wasn't doing it perfectly, then I wasn't playing the game right, and it started to ruin the game for me. I think the last stealth game I played that I thoroughly enjoyed and finished was Neon Struct. Great little game on Steam!

I feel that pressure a bit too, but also I just want to get into some action or story with my limited time. Its frustrating to sit watching things happen with no progression for too long. A shorter experience might be the answer. I took a look at Neon Struct, thanks for the recommendation I might pick it up on sale.

Last stealth game I bought was MGS5. I tried for 5 hours but couldnt get into it. Sometimes though I find I'll do that and come back to a game a while later and find that I now enjoy it, so I wont say never.

One that comes to mind is Edna & Harvey: The Breakout.
I haven't really enjoyed Point and click games of that nature in the past but i really enjoyed that one (even though i had to use a walkthrough at times)
The game was funny, charming, dark and also kind of cute, and Drogglejug sure was a hottie (inside joke for anyone who played it)

Julez

Dec 18, 2019
Visit site
Last stealth game I bought was MGS5. I tried for 5 hours but couldnt get into it. Sometimes though I find I'll do that and come back to a game a while later and find that I now enjoy it, so I wont say never.

I actually dabbled for a couple hours in MGS5 in January. I also couldn't quite get into it. Doesn't help that I jumped headfirst into Red Dead 2 which has been consuming all of my single player gaming time.

One that comes to mind is Edna & Harvey: The Breakout.

Ah, nice! I have Edna & Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes, but haven't played it. Maybe I'll give it a try!

Reactions: Frindis

TRENDING THREADS