a dip into open world games?

Hello

I haven't really played any open world games, I normally pick First person shooters, but I am looking for something to fill the void until halo comes out whenever that will be.

The games I am thinking of getting, the new watchdog, maybe an oldie GTA5, one of the assassin's screed games. Maybe cyberpunk 2077.

What would you suggest for a beginner like me in this type of game, stick to what I play (mainly halo and battlefield on Xbox)

Some games I would love to play are some old games that were on the N64 like Goldeneye, Super Mario 64

Any suggestions (and cheap as I may not like the game.

Reactions: Aldian22
Dec 7, 2020
Visit site
If you don't mind a mix between open world and FPS, you could give Destiny 2 a try.

I wouldn't classify it as a truly open world game, but it wouldn't require any initial $ invested as the base game is now available free on Steam. The gunplay etc is a very smooth experience and the game is especially enjoyable if you don't want to take a game too seriously (although there is a competitive scene if you're into that).

I played destiny 1, and started to play destiny 2, the game was okay, but it got too boring and repetitive for my liking, then they changed the subclass system and I didn't like how they did that.

Reactions: Aldian22
GTA 5 still stands up quite well against the test of time, it's easy to forget that game is 7 years old while playing it. Hell I'm still playing online with friends here and there. The rest of the suggestions are pretty good, Far Cry is pretty decent and handles being an open world game pretty well, I think. Red Dead Redemption 2 is also a fantastic game all around.

Zloth

Community Contributor
There's so many!!

The Borderlands series was fun, though the end of the first game was a let down. You can play it co-op or solo just fine.

Watch Dogs 2 was fairly fun though there isn't as much shooting.

Batman: Arkham City has plenty of shooting, though it's largely directed at you. Arkham Origins isn't really open world but City was.

Reactions: Pifanjr

Zloth

Community Contributor
Far Cry 3's plot was pretty bad at the end. The bad guy was great but the big end-game choice was so dumb I was actually offended. I picked the bad ending just out of spite. Haven't touched the series ever since.

Oh, what about the Just Cause 2 and 3? They go on sale pretty often for really cheap, too. GREAT games for just blowing things up.

Reactions: Pifanjr
Assassin's Creed Odyssey Gold Edition is on sale at the moment. The gold edition gives you the season pass and also includes AC3 Remastered. It's £6 more than the standard edition and you can take it or leave it.
It's open world, has different styles of combat and is absolutely huge. I spent a good 50 hours on my first playthrough and didn't touch half of the side quests. I liked the naval combat as well.

It will tax your GPU a bit but I was fine playing it at 1080p with my old GTX1060 with a few tweaks.

My favourite of the Far Cry series was Far Cry 4. I just think that the story was better than Far Cry 5.

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I see that no one mentioned The Witcher 3 yet. It's a very good open world experience. The downside is that it has many references to previous Witcher games and has a lore that's based on Andrzej Sapkowski's books. But it's not necessary to know all of this to have fun. The game has tons of great quests and dialogues. If you like RPGs with open world, you just have to play the game!

TRENDING THREADS