5% CPU, 95% GPU in games. Is that normal?

Dec 30, 2022
Visit site
We have 2 PCs with almost exactly the same builds, both running 5600X CPU, only one PC is run ning with 3060 and the other with 3070TI. I recently discovered something that seems strange to me. When playing games (RDR2 to be specific), i noticed, we both run under almost 100% GPU load, but the CPU runs at 5% on average. Is that normal? Whn i look at some benchamrky videos on YT, even peopale with the same setups have their CPU under 40% load... Thanks for any reply

What resolution are you playing at? If you are playing in 1440p or 4k its going to almost certainly be GPU intensive, if you run at 1080p you should see a boost in CPU usage, but all in all, low CPU usage and high GPU usage is pretty normal. Games are mostly GPU intensive anyways, so a cpu doesnt need to be utilized up at 100% percent.

Dec 30, 2022
Visit site
I am at FHD. I understand the CPU is not runing at 100% because its the GPUs job mostly. But 5% of CPU? That realy sounds weird to me

We have 2 PCs with almost exactly the same builds, both running 5600X CPU, only one PC is run ning with 3060 and the other with 3070TI. I recently discovered something that seems strange to me. When playing games (RDR2 to be specific), i noticed, we both run under almost 100% GPU load, but the CPU runs at 5% on average. Is that normal? Whn i look at some benchamrky videos on YT, even peopale with the same setups have their CPU under 40% load... Thanks for any reply

I am at FHD. I understand the CPU is not runing at 100% because its the GPUs job mostly. But 5% of CPU? That realy sounds weird to me
As for the CPU, there's probably nothing wrong with it or your 3070ti likely couldn't max out. I just checked my stats in Darktide and my CPU was running from 2 to 7 percent. And you are completely right--that is surprising.

Nevertheless, your GPU should be at or around 100 percent when you are gaming unless you are playing a very non-taxing game or your CPU can't keep up. For RDR2, it should stay at 100 percent all the time.

If the GPU usage bothers you for some reason (like noise or heat), you could always cap your framerate. But if you have uncapped framerates, your GPU is going to work as hard as it can (100%).

This is why changing your graphics settings gets you more frames per second, btw. Always maxing that GPU.

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
It can happen. Get out in the middle of nowhere so the CPU has nothing to think about except maybe a single lizard that isn't even moving, and you can get those numbers.

There are games that are CPU-bound. It doesn't happen much, but it does happen. You'll try lowering the graphics settings and the framerate won't change at all. Games that have to do a lot of AI work get this, as will games that have a lot of compressed data that needs to be uncompressed.

My current game, The Witcher 3 Next-Gen is at 99% GPU utilization and 14% CPU usage. That's just standing still out in the wilds, so the CPU usage may fluctuate depending upon the scene (I don't actively monitor my usage totals, just an occasional spot check), but I expected the high GPU usage, especially with ray tracing enabled.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Apr 26, 2021
Visit site
Are you sure you are looking at the total CPU use and not that of like say the "Service CPU Usage"? Or perhaps are looking at a individual core that isn't getting used?

Even just idle my system uses 5-10% of my total CPU capacity. Granted it is a older R5 1600.

Dec 23, 2022
Visit site
Agree with Foxhood Probably %3 overhead on any modern CPU/OS. With network/firewall %5+.

@WoodenSaucer

That board has actually been demoted. I built that rig in 2010. The i7 930, 12G RAM and a GTX 670 were liquid cooled from birth with a Koolance RP1000 on an ASUS P6X58 or some such model (I forget). Its actually this machine I'm on, it's my 'internet computer' now.

I rarely throw things away, just repurpose it. I actually have a quad core 3GHZ PC in my work truck. LOL

Agree with Foxhood Probably %3 overhead on any modern CPU/OS. With network/firewall %5+.

@WoodenSaucer

That board has actually been demoted. I built that rig in 2010. The i7 930, 12G RAM and a GTX 670 were liquid cooled from birth with a Koolance RP1000 on an ASUS P6X58 or some such model (I forget). Its actually this machine I'm on, it's my 'internet computer' now.

I rarely throw things away, just repurpose it. I actually have a quad core 3GHZ PC in my work truck. LOL
My gaming PC is a little outdated now. It has a Ryzen 3600 and a GTX 1080 in it. I'm hoping to build something more modern later this year, but for now, that one is being used to power my arcade cabinet, but I can also still access my PC games on there.

TRENDING THREADS