2022 games you're looking forward to?

Because the disqus widget on this PC Gamer article is unusable, I figured it'd be good to talk about 2022's game releases that you're personally looking forward to.

If we're to count Early Access games, I'd mention Brutal Fate having followed the Brutal Doom mod since 2013 up until v20b (i've moved onto the Project Brutality submod since). Since this will be the first game from the creator of Brutal Doom, I'm pretty confident that things will pan out to be one of the better throwback shooters we've seen in a while considering Sgt_Mark_IV's work with GZDOOM in the past decade.

Two other games almost has me thinking that we might get some good Warhammer 40,000 games pretty soon in the form of Darktide (Vermintide but 40K) and Space Marine 2. I feel like SM2's more of a shot in the dark than Darktide is since it's being developed by Saber Interactive, though the last few seconds of the trailer suggests that the devs did their homework regarding the game that they're making a sequel of.

My biggest game is Lost Ark . A free to play Korean style ARPG MMO that's been out in other regions for a couple years now and is finally getting a proper Western release. Next would be Destiny's Witch Queen mainly since Destiny 2 has been my main game since its release. Then theres Dying Light 2, Shadow Warrior 3, Gothic remake (hopefully a 2022 release), Warhammer 40k (Darktide), Sifu and others im probably forgetting

Because the disqus widget on this PC Gamer article is unusable, I figured it'd be good to talk about 2022's game releases that you're personally looking forward to.
looks to me like they reused a link from last year as all the comments on the post are one year old. Could be why its not accepting new posts. I have asked about it.

a Dune RTS... where have I seen that before, oh yeah... my mega drive. lets go around in circles

I don't have any games I am looking forward to... at all. I might be surprised.

Last edited:
Shooter
Atomic Heart—I probably won't like it, but interesting.
Stalker 2—"seamless open world … all sorts of mutants and creatures out there creeping around … fully committed to modding … bit more CoD than expected"
The original STALKER trilogy was excellent—the only survival shooter to interest me—hope they don't ruin it by going CoD route.

Strategy
The Settlers—what mix will we get this time? RTS, city building, economic sim…
Dune: Spice Wars—gotta see what they do with the granddaddy of RTS.
Company of Heroes 3—dynamic map, turn-based planning, real-time with pause action.

Other
Stray—first videos caught my eye a few months ago.
The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe—the originals were fun 'wandering around' games.

All the games listed in the PCG article that I'm interested in (plus a couple not listed). This is actually a bit depressing, tbh. I'm genuinely interested in all of these, but there are far too many of them. The ones in bold are the ones I'd like to buy at launch, but I may end up waiting until some go on sale, or until I actually have time to play them. The rest I'll get some day when they are cheap. Hard decisions! And to make matters worse, you know there are going to be a lot of worthy indie games releasing that I don't even know about right now.

God of War
Expeditions Rome
Dying Light 2
Total War Warhammer 3
Elden Ring

Stalker 2
Scorn
Starfield
Ark 2

Baldur's Gate 3
Pal World (Not Listed)
Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance
The Callisto Protocal
Sons of the Forest
(not mentioned in the article)
Hogwart's Legacy
Gotham Knights
Immortality
Ixion
The Lord of the Rings: Gollum
Marvel's Midnight Suns
N1RV Ann-A
OXENFREE II: Lost Signals
Pharaoh: A New Era
Planet of Lana
Shadows of Doubt
Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League
Two Point Campus
UNCHARTED™: Legacy of Thieves Collection
Warhammer 40,000: Darktide

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters

Hey, @Brian Boru, remember that time you said you'd give me $1000? I'm pretty sure that happened.

@ZedClampet - I assume that you're going to start a GoFundMe page to finance all those games? Probably faster than waiting for $1000 from @Brian Boru .

Avowed by Obsidian Entertainment, not much news about the game, but I have a good feeling it is going to be released with a bang in 2022.
I'm really interested in Avowed, and it would be great to see it in 2022, but I haven't seen any news or information since the original reveal article on PCG. I have high hopes that it will be Obsidian's answer to the Elder Scrolls games, and hopefully more akin to that than the gameplay of Outer Worlds. I'm still holding some hope that we'll see a remake of Fallout New Vegas from them.

Games with confirmed release dates that are at the top of my purchase list for 2022:

Starfield - number one right now, I'm drooling over a new Bethesda open world RPG, especially with a new IP
Elex 2- I love Piranha Bytes game worlds, and specifically the world of Elex. I have some concerns that they've chosen a release date that's close to the release date of Elden Ring., though the player base may not overlap that much. Worse though, is that I'm sure the gaming press will be all over Elden Ring and barely notice Elex2.
Weird West- looks really interesting, but I'll probably wait for reviews.

Games with no release date but should probably release in 2022:

Baldur's Gate 3 - This game will be incredible. Whether it feels like a Baldur's Gate game, or a Divinity OS game using a modified D&D ruleset we'll just have to wait and see. Regardless, it will be an excellent RPG.
System Shock (remake) - Nightdive Studios has gone through development hell on this one, scrapping the original build and starting from scratch. But from what I've seen it looks like they've captured the feeling of the original.
Gothic 1 (remake) - It's being developed by Alkimia Interactive and not by Piranha Bytes, which gives me pause, but the demo looked good and played similar to the original Gothic, so I'm hopeful.

Games in the "Who Knows?" category, but maybe 2022:

Avowed
Outcast 2 A New Beginning
The Wayward Realms

Broken Roads

Nice post by the way. It's almost impossible for me to keep track of some of those Disqus sections for various articles, after a couple of days they just get buried. Nice to see a reference to some of those PCG articles here on the forum.

I'm really interested in Avowed, and it would be great to see it in 2022, but I haven't seen any news or information since the original reveal article on PCG. I have high hopes that it will be Obsidian's answer to the Elder Scrolls games, and hopefully more akin to that than the gameplay of Outer Worlds. I'm still holding some hope that we'll see a remake of Fallout New Vegas from them.

No one cares (justifiably), but my guess is 2023 for Avowed. They seem to keep tamping down expectations. Even the E3 reveal trailer last year was a joke about how early they were revealing the game.

remember that time you said you'd give me $1000?
Indeed I do, clear as day.

Probably faster than waiting for $1000 from @Brian Boru
Impugn my speed, would you? If I ever build up a head of steam … hang on, why waste it on a Mainer meaner, I'll just get ahead of Steam instead!

Buy yeah Zed, we must resume that Monopoly by email game for the hols—days are less foggy now.

Dec 16, 2021
Visit site
I was tracking Homeworld 3 for months and seeing the trailer at the Game Awards announcing a release in Q4 2022 was the closest I've gotten to nirvana.
ARC Raiders came out of nowhere with the TGA trailer and became a game I'm looking forward, especially knowing it'll be free to play
Starfield is either gonna wow me or disappoint me but I'll check it out either way, especially if it's coming to Game Pass.
God of War Ragnarok is a day one buy for me, and STALKER 2 will be interesting if nothing else.
And hopefully we get some news about Avowed and Outer Worlds 2 from Obsidian. If Outer Worlds 2 can be like Outer Worlds 1 but bigger if more open exploration then I'll be happy. I enjoyed the first one's story and range of player choice but some of the sandboxes left something to be desired.

No one cares (justifiably), but my guess is 2023 for Avowed. They seem to keep tamping down expectations. Even the E3 reveal trailer last year was a joke about how early they were revealing the game.
Wasn't that Outer Worlds 2?
View: https://youtu.be/ClhDyC0ZECs

Last edited by a moderator:

Zloth

Community Contributor
2022 games that I expect to play some day... (links for games not many folks know about)

• Mount & Blade: Bannerlord (if it makes it out of Early Access in 2022)
  • System Shock: I only played System Shock 2, so a chance to play the first game with modern graphics sounds great.
  • The Invincible: Based on a Stanislaw Lem book. Lem has been one of my favorite authors, so I need to keep an eye on this one.
  • Baldur's Gate 3: Not much I won't buy from Larian.
  • Distant Worlds 2: Real time with pause 4X game. The real time worries me, but there was a lot I liked in the developer interviews from long ago. The original had the most optional automation I've seen in any game before. Even if it's good, I might need to wait several years for the DLC to flesh out the game. (I sure hope they don't charge as much for DLC as they did for the first game before it showed up on Steam!)
  • Trail of Ayash: Interesting premise, graphics look great, and the music in the trailer is good as well. I don't totally understand exactly what I would be doing in the game, but it sounds like an action adventure.
  • ELEX 2: Had fun with the first one, even though some of the sound effects got under my skin.
  • Dark Envoy: Tower of Time had some really innovative stuff, but it did get a little dull facing bigger versions of the same enemies. Hopefully Event Horizon has the knowledge and cash needed to make an even better RPG with Dark Envoy.
  • Tiny Tina's Woderlands: Tiny Tina was great fun in the Borderlands, so I expect this will be fun, too.
  • Stanley Parable Ultra Delux: ...is never the end is never the end is never the end is never...

Bannerlord, BG3, and Stanley Parable UD are the only games I'm confident I'll play some day. ELEX 2 and Starfield are pretty likely. The others all look interesting but could easily wilt in the light of day.

Trail of Ayash … I don't totally understand exactly what I would be doing
Yeah, nice premise and looks pretty good. Strikes me as a survival hack n slash sandbox—it's probably not for me, but I wishlisted the free Prologue.

Distant Worlds 2
I already have that wishlisted—RTS & 4X combo always interests me. I didn't play the first, sounds like it's worth a spin, yeah? But certainly not at $60 for a 7yo game, even if it's the complete edition.

• Mount & Blade: Bannerlord (if it makes it out of Early Access in 2022)
Something tells me that the game will be in Early Access Forever. I think we saw a fairly detailed gameplay demo back in 2016 i think? We didn't hear from the game up until some people gotten into a closed beta test for the multiplayer mode before the game launched in Early Access.

Reactions: mainer

Sarafan

Community Contributor
There are some games that I'm looking forward to, but it's not a long list. The most notable are:

Baldur's Gate 3 - the game that has became a legend even before its release date, :)
Shadow Warrior 3 - I enjoyed the second game in the series and can't wait to play the third installment,
STALKER 2 - I fear that the game will be heavily bugged on the release date, but it won't stop me from enjoying it,
Dying Light 2 - it seems the game will give us more of the same with some serious improvements in the gameplay. I'm all in!,
Elden Ring - I'm quite skeptical when it comes to Dark Souls in an open world, but will give the game a chance.

I don't know whether I'll buy them all on the release date, but these are definitely my favorites. There are also some smaller titles that I'm waiting for such as Alaloth: Champions of the Four Kingdoms and Wrath: Aeon of Ruin.

Reactions: Brian Boru and Alm
Yeah, you're right. My bad. But they haven't showed anything for Avowed yet either, but maybe they'll do that this spring and still launch in the fall.
There's a definite lack of information right now from Obsidian about Avowed. I think it's set in the same game world, Eora, that the Pillars of Eternity games were; but as a 1st person perspective game. I'm excited for the potential this game has, but I think it's pretty early in development. Here's the one trailer that I've seen so far:
View: https://youtu.be/Ez16o4kMSnU

Zloth

Community Contributor
I already have that wishlisted—RTS & 4X combo always interests me. I didn't play the first, sounds like it's worth a spin, yeah? But certainly not at $60 for a 7yo game, even if it's the complete edition.
Yeah, not worth anything like that much! You should be able to get it for 90% off in a few days, though.

It's a 4X with a play style similar to Solaris and Sins of a Stellar Empire: real time. The most surprising thing about it for me was how much automation you could do. You can automate any combination of colonization, fleet creation, research, diplomacy, troop recruiting, colony tax rates, and a host of other things. There's a huge pile of start options, too.

Something tells me that the game will be in Early Access Forever.
Yeah, I'm wondering about that as well. We'll see.
Stanley Parable is great. I've never heard of the Ultra Delux version, though. I think I got the original version free on Epic.
Ultra Delux is supposed to expand the original game quite a bit.

However, if you enjoyed the original game, you really should play the "demo." I put that in quotes, because it seems more like a prequel to the game than a demo. You can get it off the Steam page for free here:

Looking forwards to the next expansion of horizon zero dawn , did a second play through the day after i finished it , after 2nd playthrough i travelled to all the campfires that act as save points and did not realise how many things i had missed.

Bumping this thread again because the article popped up again (published 2 days ago) and the Disqus widget is still closed.

I guess to add to things, an "internal release date" has been leaked for Darktide, and that it'd be December 30th, 2022. Most of the people think it's a placeholder, though the radio silence has me thinking that we likely won't hear anything until E3, which further supports the Internal Release Date being closer to the actual one than "Spring 2022"

My most anticipated 2022 game - TES VI

Ikc4.gif
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I would say Breath of the Wild 2, but they just announced that it's delayed until 2023.

Reactions: McStabStab

TRENDING THREADS