$1500 (NZ) gaming PC. First build

May 22, 2021
Visit site
Building my first PC for gaming. Thinking to use HDMI to tv until more funds are available.

Budget:
$1500NZ

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Use Case: Gaming

Are you buying a monitor:
No

Your Monitor Resolution and desired frame rate: TV

Preferred Website(s) for Parts -any

Parts Preferences:
any

Overclocking: not important

Additional Comments:
What do you think of this build from mix of new and used parts?

ASUS Strtix Radeon RX 570 OC edition 4GB GDDR5 | Trade Me
Gigabyte Z490 UD ATX Form Factor, For Intel 10th Gen LGA1200, Z490, 2XM.2, 4X | Trade Me
Intel Comet Lake Core i7 10700F 8 Core 2.9Ghz, 16MB LGA 1200, 8 Core/ 16 | Trade Me
Deepcool 500w PSU | Trade Me
*New* Team 16GB DDR4 RAM 2666 for Desktop PC | Trade Me
Deepcool MicroTower Black/ No PSU w/ USB 3.0 | Trade Me
Buy the Crucial P2 500GB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 up to 2300 MB/s Read, 940 MB/s... ( CT500P2SSD8 ) online - PBTech.co.nz

Thanks in advance for any help.

You want a better quality psu for sure and 3200Mhz RAM. As far as psu's go .. look for a 550w EVGA, Corsair or Seasonic. No idea what parts you already own so I could be screwing the pooch on this.

Let's try this.

Gigabyte B560M AORUS ELITE $253.58

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/CPUIT11400F/Intel-Rocket-Lake-Core-i5-11400F-CPU-6-Core--12-Th
Intel Rocket Lake Core i5-11400F $247.94

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/FANCLM0218/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-Black-Edition-CPU-Cooler-G
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU Cooler $65.55

HyperX Fury 16GB RAM (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200MHz, CL16 $151.00

Total: $718

Here's a better look at that board.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/intel-core-i5-11400-review
Intel Core i5-11400 Review

https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i5_11400f_processor_review,1.html
Intel Core i5-11400F Review

https://www.techspot.com/review/2232-intel-core-i5-11400f/

Intel Core i5-11400F CPU Review

https://www.profesionalreview.com/2021/04/26/intel-core-i5-11400f-review/

Last edited:
Do you happen to have a template or something? Not offending you but it'd help to change things up every now and then, considering the posts you made here;

It's good to have support for your suggestions but you can dial some of them down. As for the build, honestly I'd invest into AMD's Ryzen mainstream platform and not Intel.

Do you happen to have a template or something? Not offending you but it'd help to change things up every now and then, considering the posts you made here;

It's good to have support for your suggestions but you can dial some of them down. As for the build, honestly I'd invest into AMD's Ryzen mainstream platform and not Intel.
I post builds to fit the budget while getting the most performance for said budget. I post links to the reviews so that the OP's can see why I posted said build. It saves the OP from having to look all this stuff up themselves. I receive PM's from sites such as Tomshardware on an almost daily basis from posters requesting that I post a build for them. I found this board by accident the other day, took a look at this System Builders forum and noticed that it was lacking big time. People here asking for builds and nobody giving them a reply that was worth the bandwidth said replies were taking up.

As far as building with an AMD .. if you have an extremely large budget then sure but if you're on a limited budget while trying to fit a graphics card in said build then nothing AMD has to offer can touch the 11400F. It's the best sub $200 USD cpu offered today. The Ryzen 3600 goes for over $200 USD here in the US and it can't touch the 11400F and if you don't believe me then feel free to look at the reviews I've posted on here.

Intel's Alderlake w/DDR5 is due for release in November followed by AMD's new chipset that will include DDR5. That means new cpu's, boards and RAM. No reason to dump a lot of money into a build right now when its going to be obsolete within a year or two.

Now if anyone here feels they can post a better build then what I've posted I'd love to see it but I haven't as of yet. Let's see those builds! :)

You might want to look my handle up on Tom'sHardware, Tom'sGuide and other Future sites, you're going to catch on quickly about what I do there and what I post in terms of builds. Yeah, you're doing a good thing with the last few links but perhaps don't overdo it, make it bit bite sized for the newcomer, otherwise this thread wouldn't be here.

As for me not posting here, I'd rather see members of the community post around, I've done a lot of that for the past(near 2 decades) high time someone else takes up the mantle.

@Why_Me PC Partpicker and use the BB code would make your posts a bit tidier. BB Code^^

I'd agree that the 11400F is the pick of budget CPU's currently.
PC Partpicker is for noobs. Half the time they don't find the cheapest parts not to mention a lot of people on the net that I post builds for live in countries were PC partspicker wouldn't apply. Just these last two days I've done builds for people in Sri Lanka, Vietnam, and Ukraine just to name a few. What I'd like to know is why nobody is helping the OP's in this forum. I've seen threads were nobody has replied to the OP for literally weeks. I've seen no builds posted on this forum as I scrolled halfway down this page. Why is that? If its a problem then I'll stop posting builds on here and focus on Tomshardware and Techpowerup.

You might want to look my handle up on Tom'sHardware, Tom'sGuide and other Future sites, you're going to catch on quickly about what I do there and what I post in terms of builds. Yeah, you're doing a good thing with the last few links but perhaps don't overdo it, make it bit bite sized for the newcomer, otherwise this thread wouldn't be here.

As for me not posting here, I'd rather see members of the community post around, I've done a lot of that for the past(near 2 decades) high time someone else takes up the mantle.
https://forums.tomshardware.com/members/why_me.41020/ <--- that would be me and I've seen a few of your post on there.

@Why_Me you and your builds are welcome here, some of us who are more clued in to tech may not have as much time to answer threads all the time. Partpicker is an easy shorthand method, if you don't like it you can easily explain why without throwing insults at moderators.

Personally I've been tired of explaining to people again and again that graphics cards are costing 3x msrp and I can't recommend them buying them at that price. A few of us here are present on other tech sites too, youre not the only one with a history.

@Steve970 sorry for the crosstalk, youve had some decent advice all the best for the build.

OP is located in NZ and it's listed on PCPP.

As for your statement about a tough time with parts listing/pricing;
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400F 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($247.00 @ ExtremePC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B560M AORUS ELITE Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($253.57 @ PB Technologies)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($150.99 @ PB Technologies)
Total: $651.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-22 19:57 NZST+1200

That's (somewhat)the exact same e-tailer chosen by you on your post without me manually having to locate the store. The cooler is not included there since it's shown as out of stock courtesy of PCPP. If it's back in stock, it's still listed for the price you've listed prior;

you didn't include the GPU, chassis and storage to the build although you did give a general idea about what PSU to look for. OP has stated it's their first gaming system.

I'm not familiar with NZ but AUS have GST applied, I could be mistaken. Maybe you can get back to me with anything that might be additionally charged atop of the parts you're suggested to buy, @Steve970 ? As for your initial build, please don't invest into those Trade me parts. There's one more bit of info I'd like to ask when tailoring your system, what games would you want to tax the system with? Please include titles without a genre and an etc in that sentence ;)

A side note, you sure you want to work with an RX500 series GPU? That tooth's very long in the jaw right now and needs extraction. As of this moment, the concurrent GPU's are overpriced. That leads me to ask, you sure you can't wait a little longer? Either that or you will need to up your budget.

OP is located in NZ and it's listed on PCPP.

As for your statement about a tough time with parts listing/pricing;
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-11400F 2.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($247.00 @ ExtremePC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B560M AORUS ELITE Micro ATX LGA1200 Motherboard ($253.57 @ PB Technologies)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($150.99 @ PB Technologies)
Total: $651.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-05-22 19:57 NZST+1200

That's (somewhat)the exact same e-tailer chosen by you on your post without me manually having to locate the store. The cooler is not included there since it's shown as out of stock courtesy of PCPP. If it's back in stock, it's still listed for the price you've listed prior;

you didn't include the GPU, chassis and storage to the build although you did give a general idea about what PSU to look for. OP has stated it's their first gaming system.

I'm not familiar with NZ but AUS have GST applied, I could be mistaken. Maybe you can get back to me with anything that might be additionally charged atop of the parts you're suggested to buy, @Steve970 ? As for your initial build, please don't invest into those Trade me parts. There's one more bit of info I'd like to ask when tailoring your system, what games would you want to tax the system with? Please include titles without a genre and an etc in that sentence ;)

A side note, you sure you want to work with an RX500 series GPU? That tooth's very long in the jaw right now and needs extraction. As of this moment, the concurrent GPU's are overpriced. That leads me to ask, you sure you can't wait a little longer? Either that or you will need to up your budget.
If you click on the links in my build (and no I will never use PCPP as it misses stuff on a constant basis) you'll notice next to the price it says this 'inc GST'. That's the NZ VAT.

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/CPUIT11400F/Intel-Rocket-Lake-Core-i5-11400F-CPU-6-Core--12-Th <--- $247.94 inc GST

The OP used trade me as its an easy site to find new and used parts. I looked up his parts on that site to see just how much he was paying.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/motherboards/intel/listing-3100148562.htm <--- $324 for the MB vs $253 for the board I posted.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/components/cpus/intel/listing-3104408718.htm <--- $483 vs $248 for the cpu I linked.

Anyone can punch some stuff into PCPP but that isn't 'doing a build'. You want to do your homework which includes looking to see what the OP is paying, reading the reviews while knowing that PCPP is a hit and miss. The best builds are when you have to use Google Translate on sites in countries such as Indonesia ..that's when it really gets fun (no sarcasm intended). Then after that you open a tab up to convert whatever said country uses for money over to US dollars so you have a clue if you made it within the budget. I live for those builds. There's a mod on Tomshardware who goes by the name of 'g-unit'. Back in the day we would have contest to see just how close we could come to the OP's budget without going over .. this was before PCPP was ever invented. You actually did real background work doing a build instead punching it out on PCPP and praying for the best outcome.

TRENDING THREADS