1440 30” 144hz+ monitor; is it a good time to upgrade or wait for later this year?

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
I’m currently gaming on a ASUS PG348Q 34” 1440p 100Hz and it has worked great up until recently when I tried higher refresh rates at a buddies place - now I’m itching for a new monitor .

I enjoy larger widescreen 1440p Monitors and I was wondering if I’m better off purchasing right now or if you all think I’ll get better value/features if I wait later this year? Willing to spend around $500-$800 just not sure if I’m better off waiting later this year or not

Thanks for any feedback!

So, just to get this straight, you're looking to move away from ultrawide (21:6) and to regular widescreen (16:9).

Do you usually run games at capped 100fps on your existing monitor? i.e. would a GPU upgrade - perhaps from one of the many coming out later in the year - let you keep the existing ultrawide and just run at 'sufficiently' high framerates?

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
So, just to get this straight, you're looking to move away from ultrawide (21:6) and to regular widescreen (16:9).
I enjoy larger widescreen 1440p Monitors
Without the ops actual reply we won't know, but I believe from that statement that he just means that size or larger display with a higher refresh rate. My guess is either 144, 160, or 240 was seen/played at a friend's house. Considering the op has a 32 inch screen with 1440p resolution I'd probably suggest moving up to either a 4k monitor with a 144Hz refresh rate or some combination of what the op has but with a higher refresh rate. Either way I don't think the op is looking below the 32inch display size. The op may or may not understand the diminishing returns for displays at that calibure.

would a GPU upgrade - perhaps from one of the many coming out later in the year - let you keep the existing ultrawide and just run at 'sufficiently' high framerates?
Not an incredibly bad idea. But then you're figuring that the increased frames makes up for a slower refresh. The actual draw of the physical screen isn't the same thing. I mean we're sort of splitting hairs at that point. And I think you understand what I'm talking about. But for the op that stuff might not matter.

Edit: For the op, if you go the video card route wait for the new cards to drop as prices will change. Ideally the last gen cards will drop in price, but who knows it's 2020.

For others: the actual fps is *not* the same thing as the actual rate the screen refreshes. You may have high frame rates, but the actual screen refresh may not be able to keep up. AVDirectarticle link discussing said difference

Side note:
I'd actually like to see a chart of the fps in correlation to refresh rate and actual time to screen in the a similar fashion as a price equilibrium chart. Just to see where the best medium for fps fans actually lies. I bet a chart like that would be damning when it came to choosing a monitor or video card for the best possible 'click' outcome in a 1v1 firefight in some fps. Which is where skill comes into play...

Last edited:
That's kind of a weird reply tbh, as the thread's been dormant almost 2 weeks and speculating is a bit pointless.

Also, the OP does not have a 32" screen with 1440p resolution. They have a 34" with 1440p ultrawide resolution. Specifically the ASUS PG348Q. Which is limited to 100hz

My question is whether they are looking to move down to 1440p monitors (normal widescreen, not ultrawide) that can have higher refresh rates like 144hz or 240hz, even.

But then you're figuring that the increased frames makes up for a slower refresh. The actual draw of the physical screen isn't the same thing. I mean we're sort of splitting hairs at that point. And I think you understand what I'm talking about. But for the op that stuff might not matter.

I know what you're saying but it has nothing to do with what I said :) I think you've misunderstood me.

The OP's monitor is 100hz. My question - not assumption - to the OP was whether a graphics card upgrade would be the solution. For instance if they are running less than 100fps, they don't necessarily need a higher refresh screen - they might need a graphics card capable of pushing 100fps to make use of the 100hz they already have available to them.

Obviously that depends if they're already running framerate at their monitor's maximum refresh rate. Which is why I asked.

Maybe they are, and they want to go to 240hz. Or maybe they're stuck at 50fps on their current GPU and need a better GPU to get to 100hz, if that's something they'd find satisfactory.

Jul 3, 2020
Visit site
That's kind of a weird reply tbh, as the thread's been dormant almost 2 weeks and speculating is a bit pointless.

Also, the OP does not have a 32" screen with 1440p resolution. They have a 34" with 1440p ultrawide resolution. Specifically the ASUS PG348Q. Which is limited to 100hz

My question is whether they are looking to move down to 1440p monitors (normal widescreen, not ultrawide) that can have higher refresh rates like 144hz or 240hz, even.

I know what you're saying but it has nothing to do with what I said I think you've misunderstood me.

The OP's monitor is 100hz. My question - not assumption - to the OP was whether a graphics card upgrade would be the solution. For instance if they are running less than 100fps, they don't necessarily need a higher refresh screen - they might need a graphics card capable of pushing 100fps to make use of the 100hz they already have available to them.

Obviously that depends if they're already running framerate at their monitor's maximum refresh rate. Which is why I asked.

Maybe they are, and they want to go to 240hz. Or maybe they're stuck at 50fps on their current GPU and need a better GPU to get to 100hz, if that's something they'd find satisfactory.
I honestly had not looked up the monitor. But after looking into it the 100Hz is 'overclocked' whatever Asus means by that. And is only doable with hardware that is at or above a geforce 980ti. So I don't even know if it's a true 100hz refresh. Unless they 'unlock' that rate based on hardware installed.

But I get what you're saying about tackling the proper problem. Which only comes with info from the op versus wild speculation.

TRENDING THREADS