‘Use HDR not supported’ / HDR video streaming supported’ confused - monitor query

Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
Hi

The gaming laptop I have is:

ASUS TUF Gaming A16 FA617XS_FA617X5 (sorry that’s what the system information says). Some of the spec:

AMD Ryzen 9 7940HS

AMD Radeon RX 7600S

I think the screen is 2k.

However I thought the laptop had HDR too but the display settings sat Use HDR is not supported but HDR video streaming is supported.

I’m not entirely sure what that means…does it mean that the screen does not display HDR but you can connect to a HDR external monitor?

The important question is if I get a pretty good external monitor that is for e.g. 4K and has HDR, will it work? I presume so as I have a good graphics card and so would be a shame not to take advantage of it.

Thanks

Reactions: red_5ive
HDR on PC is still a mess compared to higher end TVs and consoles where it just works. Basically your graphics card is capable of displaying HDR on a supported monitor, but Id be fairly sure that your laptop screen does not support proper HDR, as not many PC monitors do properly either.

Decent article here. TLDR Youre going to want a screen that says its at least HDR 1000 compliant, because it doesnt look good on anything less than that.

Some recommendations.

Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
HDR on PC is still a mess compared to higher end TVs and consoles where it just works. Basically your graphics card is capable of displaying HDR on a supported monitor, but Id be fairly sure that your laptop screen does not support proper HDR, as not many PC monitors do properly either.

Decent article here. TLDR Youre going to want a screen that says its at least HDR 1000 compliant, because it doesnt look good on anything less than that.

Some recommendations.

That’s really useful to know thank you - good article.

May 13, 2024
Visit site
For reasons that @Kaamos_Llama mentioned is why I picked up a 48" OLED TV for HDR that also supports GSync a couple of years ago, which I use as seconday/gaming monitor. Works beautifully! Up until recently, you had to spend upward of $1700 to get decent HDR performance, and even then at those prices you're talking a 32" monitor or 34" 21:9. The OLED TV was almost half that on sale, and no HDR monitor I've seen today can touch it at that price. But HDR has gotten better of late where monitors are concerned, but still not perfect as most - even the good ones - can't quite reach the necessary brightness. And Win 11 itself is still a bit of a headache with HDR. I just picked up the Samsung Odysey OLED G9 as I love the 32:9 aspect and being an OLED HDR looks great! But still, Win 11 is just a pain in the a$$ with HDR. 3 days in and I want to pack it up and return it just because of Winblows.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2023
Visit site
For reasons that @Kaamos_Llama mentioned is why I picked up a 48" OLED TV for HDR that also supports GSync a couple of years ago, which I use as seconday/gaming monitor. Works beautifully! Up until recently, you had to spend upward of $1700 to get decent HDR performance, and even then at those prices you're talking a 32" monitor or 34" 21:9. The OLED TV was almost half that on sale, and no HDR monitor I've seen today can touch it at that price. But HDR has gotten better of late where monitors are concerned, but still not perfect as most - even the good ones - can't quite reach the necessary brightness. And Win 11 itself is still a bit of a headache with HDR. I just picked up the Samsung Odysey OLED G9 as I love the 32:9 aspect and being an OLED HDR looks great! But still, Win 11 is just a pain in the a$$ with HDR. 3 days in and I want to pack it up and return it just because of Winblows.
Thank you - they both look like great options - I was actually going to say I’d get a TV but Id like a curved monitor. Doubt I’d spend that much though on the Samsung although it looks amazing. I probably wouldn’t look at higher than 32”

May 13, 2024
Visit site
Thank you - they both look like great options - I was actually going to say I’d get a TV but Id like a curved monitor. Doubt I’d spend that much though on the Samsung although it looks amazing. I probably wouldn’t look at higher than 32”

Even those are pricey for a good one, like the Alienware 32" QD-OLED sells for the same price as the Samsung. But I'm sure you can catch a good sale, just keep an eye out.

Overall, Alienware gets my vote. If they made a 32:9 I'd have gone that route over the Samsung as Samsung's software/OSD is one of the worst. In which case, I also have an Alienware 34" ultrawide QD-OLED, which I got on a good sale about 40% off last December. Alienware's HDR implementation is great, and the software/OSD just works.

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS