Question What's a good cooling pad I can use to make sure my laptop runs smoothly while I'm gaming?

I'm generally suspicious that these do much of anything, honestly, but I have no data to back that claim up.

The things that I focus on with my laptop is making sure the vents are clear of dust and to go with that, making sure the laptop has adequate breathing room, meaning, don't put it on a soft surface like your bed where it depresses into the comforter and chokes out the intake vent. Make sure the machine can breathe by not covering that intake or the exhaust port.

Assuming it's properly engineered, it shouldn't have any issues cooling itself. You can also apply new thermal paste; I was able to take my temps down pretty dramatically on my old laptop with GPU, enough to the point that I could get a solid overclock. With the same thermal paste (Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut), I saw anywhere from 10-15* reduction on my Steam Deck.

Welcome to the forum :)

Heat is the main enemy of any computer, which is why there's so much emphasis on cooling modern high-end components—and so little surprise when 4090 graphics cards melt their connectors :rolleyes:

Heat is even more of an enemy of laptops, since there is almost no airflow possible in the thinner models—so anything you can do to reduce it is a worthwhile investment, as worst case is it should prolong the life of your laptop.

It's a decade since I used a laptop for an extended period. That was an Alienware desktop replacement, and this is the cooling pad I used with it [not available at the moment]:

I recommend something similar which will lift the laptop off whatever surface it's on, and has movable fans so you can target wherever the hottest parts of the case are.

A lot also depends on your ambient temperatures during the height of summer. I used a floor-standing fan on hot days to blow across the laptop—and me! :D

Clean the vents regularly, don't let dust or grime build up—a laptop lives on a cooling shoestring budget.

Last edited:
Reactions: BeardyHat

TRENDING THREADS