Internet issue? Expert needed. Please help and be understanding.

Feb 18, 2024
Visit site
OK I have AT@T internet. My Gateway quite working. We had a bad storm. I like to never got a new one. They needed the account number and 4 digit pin. It has been so long since we signed up we did not know either things they needed. And they asked for our favorite restaurant.

We forgot the restaurant but we said it somehow? They would not look up the info unless we gave them the info we needed. We could not they just look up our account info with out those 2 things? And sending someone to the house to fix anything it is a last resort. They seem to not want to do that? So what do the repair techs do all day? Funny I know.

So they sent us the info and we wrote it down. And in 1 day they sent us a new Gateway. We could not access the email. I could not give them the Password. I changed it a long time ago. I need to change it again. We use cell phones only. So they could not access the old number. I could only use internet on my phone.

I am So glad it is almost fixed.

Somehow we got what we needed. I am really good with computers. But this one thing has me stumped?

I plugged in the new Gateway it works great. But I have 1 issue with my smart TVS. We use 3 Samsung smart TVs. The TVs will not recognize the new Gateway. I type in the 2 numbers on the Gateway It will not recognize the Gateway. WPS is no help either. It says the TVs are working. With the old Gateway Info. Cell phones I get the same thing?

But get this. The old Gateway info is recognized and the TV's work great. No issues whatsoever. Cell phones included. So why when I type in the new info it will not recognize the new Gateway? But the old one is recognized and it says it is working? It is not plugged in at all.

Now I read online at the A@TT forums that someone else had the same issue. So should I delete the old info for the old Gateway. Then type in the new info? What could be causing this issue? I am reading about my issue online and watching YouTube videos with no help info at all.

And it is so hard to get a real person to talk and to help you. And they already let us know as I said above sending someone is not going to happen unless they think it is necessary. They want you to fix it yourself. OK then.

So does anyone have a answer to my 1 small issue? Should I leave it alone? Or try to fix the issue? Thanks.

Last edited:
When you say Gateway, are you referring to the router? If you have a new router with a new network name and password you need to type the new login details into all devices that use the WiFi to access the internet.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Feb 18, 2024
Visit site
When you say Gateway, are you referring to the router? If you have a new router with a new network name and password you need to type the new login details into all devices that use the WiFi to access the internet.
Yes that is what I am referring to. I did that. But only on my Smart TVs and Cell phones it will not accept the new router name and password. It uses the old router info and works like a charm no issues whatsoever. So why will my devices not accept the new router info? But still work with the old router info?

Last edited:
The only thing I can think of is that, if the devices are very old, they might not be compatible with the latest password systems.

I don't know why the old login details are working, is the old router still connected?

Feb 18, 2024
Visit site
The only thing I can think of is that, if the devices are very old, they might not be compatible with the latest password systems.

I don't know why the old login details are working, is the old router still connected?
I have already said in the previous post no it is not connected. And I read online at the A@TT forum someone else had the same issue. I cannot find the solution ether?

Feb 18, 2024
Visit site

The TV in the bedroom is almost 2 years old. The other 2 and the phones are recent.

Feb 18, 2024
Visit site

I do not know either see my issue?

Feb 18, 2024
Visit site
That doesn't sound old enough to cause an issue. The passwords will be case sensitive, sorry, that's all I can think of. Hopefully someone can suggest something more helpful.
I read online another person had the same issue. I type the info in and it will not recognize the router. But the old router info works and I have no issues with my cell phones or TVs. And the old router is not plugged in at all. Strange I know.

They needed the account number and 4 digit pin. It has been so long since we signed up we did not know either things they needed. And they asked for our favorite restaurant.

We forgot the restaurant but we said it somehow? They would not look up the info unless we gave them the info we needed. We could not they just look up our account info with out those 2 things?
isp just need to have some ID from caller to prove you are who you say you are.

We been with our ISP so long we can't access our account online as we don't have a mobile phone number linked for 2 part authentication. We tried to fix that via a phone call before but it didn't seem to happen.

Last time we had our router replaced the ISP was so disorganised that we had to chase them up afterwards and get settings changed at their end before it would work... So try calling them and ask for help. The people who sent out router didn't tell the other section that has to enable it on system. Could be what happened to you.

Maybe I'm confused, but the way that I'm reading this is that everything works, but some things only work when they have the old router info. The only way that makes sense to me is if you are getting two types of information from the router, one from the router itself and another passing through from ATT, and your different devices prefer one or the other as a security measure. This would indicate to me that ATT hasn't changed your router information on their end.

However, your ISP isn't supposed to be providing security handshakes with devices. I've never heard of that. It should only be coming from your router. So, yeah, I have no clue what is going on here. My suggestion is to call ATT.

Feb 18, 2024
Visit site
isp just need to have some ID from caller to prove you are who you say you are.

We been with our ISP so long we can't access our account online as we don't have a mobile phone number linked for 2 part authentication. We tried to fix that via a phone call before but it didn't seem to happen.

Last time we had our router replaced the ISP was so disorganised that we had to chase them up afterwards and get settings changed at their end before it would work... So try calling them and ask for help. The people who sent out router didn't tell the other section that has to enable it on system. Could be what happened to you.
Maybe I'm confused, but the way that I'm reading this is that everything works, but some things only work when they have the old router info. The only way that makes sense to me is if you are getting two types of information from the router, one from the router itself and another passing through from ATT, and your different devices prefer one or the other as a security measure. This would indicate to me that ATT hasn't changed your router information on their end.

However, your ISP isn't supposed to be providing security handshakes with devices. I've never heard of that. It should only be coming from your router. So, yeah, I have no clue what is going on here. My suggestion is to call ATT.
The old info is working with the new router or Gateway as they like to call it. My phones and TV works great no issues either. But it should let me type in the device name and password then work only with the new Gateway or router. It will not and uses the old router device number and password.

I may not do anything because I just want the phone and TV to work with the internet. Like I said I read on the A@TT forums a person had the same problem. I found no solution? My friend has Comcast internet. The same thing happened to her. The old router info made the new router work. So she said she just left it alone.

If I do nothing about it will a issue come up later on?

Feb 18, 2024
Visit site
The old router info would still work, if the same info was used with the new gear. Did the network names and password remain the same?
My dad if you can believe this and he knows nothing about computers routers etc.. I taught him and mom to use Alexa from Amazon, mom to use Facebook and dad to use YouTube. He types nothing in just watches what pops up. I fix the internet for them and they now have smart TVs. And are scared and will not use half of the features on the apps. Does not know how put apps or find the apps in the TV. Or play the free games built in the TV's etc..,

He ran into a man that works for A&TT. He sort of told the man what is going on the best he could. The man said tell your son said it is fine and just to leave it alone. He said also it may change over to the new info by itself. My dad went someplace this morning. I was shocked when he told me that. Dad and me go out to eat every Friday. He is retired. I no longer work. Health issues.

So I will not worry about it then.

• Love

TRENDING THREADS