April 2024 General Game Discussion Thread

I'm still having motivation problems :ROFLMAO: but here are almost all of the "popular upcoming" games as listed on Steam haphazardly divided into categories and in near-alphabetical order. Many of the games have demos, and that's been listed under the links.

If you are interested in a particular category, these are the ones I used and the order in which they are listed:

Action, Adventure/Point&Click, Cards, Colony Sim/City Builder/Base Building, Horror, Platformer, Puzzle, PvP, RPG (Action, CRPG, JRPG), Simulator, Sports, Strategy/RTS, Visual Novel

Action​

April 2, Demo Available

April 4, Demo Available, Hack n Slash

April 5, Demo Available, Hack n Slash

April 9, Demo Available

April 10, Stealth

April 10, Space

April 12

April 15

April 22

April 22, Demo Available

April 23, Demo Available

April 23

Adventure/Point & Click​

April 5, Demo Available

April 11, Demo Available

April 16, Demo Available

April 18

Cards​

April 8, Demo Available, Deck Builder

April 15, Demo Available, Deck Builder

April 23, Demo Available

Colony Sim/City Builder/Base Building​

April 1, Demo Available

April 2, Trailer uses free music, if that’s a pet peeve of yours

April 3

April 11

April 15, Demo Available

April 26

Horror​

April 4

April 4, Demo Available

April 9, Demo Available, Survival Horror

April 23, Demo Available

April 24

April 24, Demo Available, Co-op

April 25, Demo Available, Survival Horror

April 26, Demo Available

April 26

Platformer​

April 2

April 5, Demo is Available

April 8

April 9

April 9, Demo Available

April 10, Demo Available

April 16, Demo Available

April 19, Demo Available

April 25

Puzzle​

April 9, Demo Available

April 17, Demo Available

PvP/Competitive​

April 2, Bullet Tosser

April 9, MOBA

April 18, Rust on water

April 29

RPG​

Action RPG​

April 1, Side Scrolling

April 3, Demo Available

April 5

April 10

April 11, Demo Available

April 17, Demo Available

April 18

April 25, Demo Available

CRPG​

April 10, CRPG

April 12

JRPG​

April 23

April 25

Simulator​

April 2, Demo Available

April 3

April 8, Demo Available, Life Sim

April 9

April 15

April 16

April 18, Demo Available

April 19, Demo Available, Split-Screen co-op is available

April 24, Demo Available

April 25, Life Sim

April 29, Life Sim

Sports​

April 5

April 15, Demo Available

April 18

April 26

Strategy/RTS​

April 5

April 11, Demo Available

April 11, Demo Available

April 2, Demo Available, Tower Defense

Visual Novel​

April 1

April 11, Demo Available

April 15, Demo Available

April 18

April 29

April 29, Demo Available

Last edited:
3 games based on the Backrooms concept. It doesn't seem like a good setting for a game, but perhaps I'm just lacking in imagination.

If I were going to buy anything in April, which I'm not, it would be Broken Roads and Manor Lords. Those are really the only two things I'm interested in.

No idea why unfurl didn't work 90 percent of the time. If it hadn't worked on 4 or 5 games, I'd go back and look at them.

Edit: Thought of an easy fix for the "exploding".

Broken Roads was one of the few titles I recognised. I'm not sure what I've read about it, but I remember it sounded interesting.

3 games based on the Backrooms concept. It doesn't seem like a good setting for a game, but perhaps I'm just lacking in imagination.

Broken Roads was one of the few titles I recognised. I'm not sure what I've read about it, but I remember it sounded interesting.
And there are already at least 2 other Backrooms games on Steam.

That may qualify you for Super Genius, if you don't mind the downgrade—please share, here or PM :)

Manor Lords is the one I hope to pick up sometime too—could be great if it fulfills promise.

Have you considered a Title of the Month award? I nominate Ants Took My Eyeball :D
We may have touched on it before. I just copied the the whole thing and pasted it into Word using paste special--no formatting, and then copied that and pasted it back over here.

I think if you post an address here, but instead of it looking like just an address it looks like a link then it won't unfurl. If it looks like a link then somewhere it is using href markup, and you have to get rid of it.

Last edited:
It looks like i've beaten the main game of assassin's creed odyssey last night. Tbh the last handful of missions are more talk, talk ones and i've unlocked new game+ hell, you don't technically need to kill all the member of the cult of kosmos to unlock new game+ . But whatever, i beat the main 3 mission lines and I've got a handful of side content that should be a breeze. We're currently at the 135-140 hr mark and level 72

i still need to play fate of atlantis / expansion pack stuff i need to complete and thats it. i'll write my comments up once i'm done.

I'm going to try not to buy any games for April, having nickle and dimed myself all over March with cheap stuff.

That said, Johnway did turn me onto Evil Genius 2 last week after mentioning it being on sale and it's exactly what I wanted. I've only had time to put in about 2-hours so far, but the update to Dungeon Keeper is pretty much what I've been looking for.

I've been wanting to play DK2 again recently and did reinstall War for the Overworld, having previously put about 12-hours into it, but I just kind of find it lackluster? All these new sort of...updates? Renewals? of old games, like War for the Overworld and Two Point Hospital just don't hit right for me. The aping of classic games just feels hollow and boring to me, why wouldn't I just play the original, rather than the simulacrum?

At any rate, Evil Genius 2 is pretty cool. I like how it's generally similar, but has its own take and spin; the 60's Spy aesthetic really appeals to me, in spite of neither being old enough to have nostalgia for it, nor really caring about it in the first place.

Reposting since I accidentally posted in the March thread.

I 100%’d all of the achievements on the Xbox app for Lightyear Frontier which may be a first for me. Easy since it’s still EA and has very little content right now, took me a total of 18 hours which was perfect for me, short and sweet and didn’t feel tedious or a slog at all.

I decided to use the Xbox Game Bar overlay to make a Looking For Group post. I seriously wish this feature was on Steam, it’s so great. You make a post looking for people to play with, set tags, number of people, what time you want to start, and even a small description. This would be a very awesome feature to put on Steam perhaps when you are looking at a game in your library. When you’re in a details view where you can see your friends, achievements and community posts, having a small section for LFG would be so nice to find random people to play games with.

Anyways, I had a few people join me yesterday which was dumb fun. They joined my fully finished world so I let them use up my resources and whatnot. We explored, jumped around and kept flipping our mechs, it was hilarious for a while. I can see this game being tons of fun with friends. It’s best to start a new world since each time a new player joins they have to do all the missions from the beginning regardless how far you are, but also they have access to all your crafting upgrades they just need the resources.

Great game but it’s time to move onto something different. I kept getting mad at Balatro and couldn’t finish a deck, so I scrolled my library for so long and still couldn’t find anything. I’ll check the Steam sales when they refresh in a few hours.

This is from my game with Guido. I've decided to cheat in my solo game, but I need to play this one straight. I wanted just a normal looking house at the location where we mine clay and copper. I ran out of roof tiles and had to use 2 different kinds. It just takes a really long time to cook bricks.

full

Still trying to figure out what game to play next. I’m in a survival craft game mood, and I have a lot of those in my library I really need to revisit.

My two main contenders are 7 Days to Die and Age of Conan, both I really enjoyed at one point but haven’t played either much at all over the past few years. 7DTD has a major update coming out hopefully this year, so I may wait to pick that back up. Age of Conan looks to be good solo, as there’s tons of world modifiers to help make the game slightly less challenging and less grind-y.

I was reading some recent reviews of Valheim and there’s an increasing amount of negative reviews in the pst year. Apparently the devs have slowed down a lot when it comes to releasing big significant updates which is a shame. When it first came out it was absolutely massive, but now 3 years later and apparently there’s things from the year 1 roadmap that aren’t even complete yet.

I’ve also been looking at Diablo 4 on Game Pass but same thing with 7DTD, a major update is coming in May so I’ll wait until that comes out to try it. Apparently this is supposed to be a massive overhaul update that changes nearly all aspects of the game in one way or more. My whole thing is, if there is a massive update coming out for a game, I won’t play until the update comes out. 7DTD is just looking to add some little content and change other things to make it better, Diablo 4 sounds like it’s changing EVERYTHING so it’s probably best to wait until the update is out.

The weekly Steam sales refreshed today and there isn’t a whole lot of good games there… May just need to go through the library and pick one at random.

Well shoot, another game I’m interested in revisiting, Grounded, is getting a new major update on April 16th. Gonna have to wait for that to come out before I jump back in. Why do all the games I want to play have big updates coming out causing me to want to wait until I play them again😭
All great games. Conan's huge update is tomorrow, so you won't have to wait long for that one. I was thinking about playing it again, too. The combat is pretty good, and I have all the DLC, so I have lots of interesting building pieces.

Wife told me she uploaded an interpretive dance video to Tik Tok. My only response was, "Thank God it's April 1st." She said, "Darn."

why wouldn't I just play the original, rather than the simulacrum?

Often it's because original won't work on current PCs, or if you have enough ability to finagle it, then the graphics will look horrible at today's bigger resolutions.

another game I’m interested in … is getting a new major update

You're on a roll! Please get interested in Half Life 2 or C&C Generals :D

Often it's because original won't work on current PCs, or if you have enough ability to finagle it, then the graphics will look horrible at today's bigger resolutions.

Yeah, but the games in question aren't really an issue, to be honest. Both still run without issue and look fine--at least, I see no issues with them--and in the case of Theme Hospital, there's a modern port out there in CorsixTh. Definitely think it would be more of an issue if you couldn't get either of them on GoG and if they didn't run ok.

Tangentially related, I'm going to be having a hell of a travel year, after not really doing much of any since my first kid in 2017. In May, my wife taking me to London/England for a week and she's humoring me and coming with me to Bovington Tank Museum and the Imperial War Museum.

But, more related to this thread, she also just bought my flight, hotel, car and tickets for VCF Southwest, which I'm pretty excited about! I haven't traveled by myself in quite awhile and while it's only a weekend, I'm pretty damned excited to go look at a bunch of ancient computers. I may or may not also come home with an ancient Thinkpad.

Yesterday I finally decided to do the work needed to get Red Dead Redemption 2 working on my Deck. I should have just waited and bought it on Steam, but for whatever reason the other week decided I needed to have it now, so now mine is locked to the Rockstar Social Club. Joy, another launcher.

At any rate, RSC won't install itself to the MicroSD on the Deck for some reason or another, so after poking around, researching and trying some solutions and not having any luck, I decided to see if I could just install it to the local disk and then manually move the Launcher folder over to the MicroSD.

Worked great, actually. From there I could launch the launcher via Steam and now select and install RDR2 to my MicroSD, all 120 Gigs of it. But now it's working great and looks surprisingly good on the Deck, locked at 30FPS. It'll be nice to have it on a system where I can suspend, as RDR2 seems to be a game that demands you play at least an hour at a time, which I don't always have, especially uninterrupted.

I played a bit more XCOM 2 today and I've finally finished all of the required research to begin the final missions. I'm curious whether it will be significantly harder than the generic missions, which are far too easy at this point. Based on the last Chosen I killed, I have my doubts.
I don't remember it being significantly harder. I was scum-saving, and I remember not having to do any reloads during the final mission.

I played a bit more XCOM 2 today and I've finally finished all of the required research to begin the final missions. I'm curious whether it will be significantly harder than the generic missions, which are far too easy at this point. Based on the last Chosen I killed, I have my doubts.
You should be happy that you had a great strategy. I don't think most people find XCOM2 way too easy.

Reactions: Zloth and Pifanjr
Did any of your games do anything for April Fools?

You drive straight through pedestrians in Big Ambition, plow through them like they are ghosts. I told the developer that for April Fools they ought to give the pedestrians some funky physics so that they get knocked around by cars. I'm saddened that, as usual, they didn't pay any attention to my elite level idea.

What I wanted to see was what twisted, low-brow hijinks the Weed Shop devs might do, but there was no update, sadly.

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS