Question Xeon 2470 v2 work only in bios.

Nov 27, 2022
Visit site
Hi. Some time ago I became interested in the topic of xenons. I bought atermiter x79 on lga 1356, 16GB ram ddr3 ecc 2RX8 and 2420 cpu. I paid for it 40USD. I bought the 2420 only as a test processor to check if the board and ram work, because the target procesor 2470 v2 I bought on aliexpress.

On 2420 everything works. But on 2470 when I try to install windows I get whea uncorrectable error.

The processors have the same tdp, so it's not the fault of the power supply or the board. Is it possible that the 2470 only works in the bios and when I try to install/load windows it pops up an error?

Hi. Some time ago I became interested in the topic of xenons. I bought atermiter x79 on lga 1356, 16GB ram ddr3 ecc 2RX8 and 2420 cpu. I paid for it 40USD. I bought the 2420 only as a test processor to check if the board and ram work, because the target procesor 2470 v2 I bought on aliexpress.

On 2420 everything works. But on 2470 when I try to install windows I get whea uncorrectable error.

The processors have the same tdp, so it's not the fault of the power supply or the board. Is it possible that the 2470 only works in the bios and when I try to install/load windows it pops up an error?

Sounds to me that the 2470 V2 might be faulty, on Ivy Bridge parts WHEA errors usually meant your overclock was unstable and you should up the voltage or wind the frequency back. A 10 year old Xeon might have been used and abused enough to be degraded by now.

Maybe someone over at Toms Hardware would have a better idea :)

Reactions: Brian Boru

TRENDING THREADS