XBOX Windows 11 App Won't Stop Downloading/Pause ????

Hello

I've just signed up to XBOX Ultimate on PC ONLY; using the XBOX Windows 11 App and it just won't Stop Downloading/Pause ????

I've tried everything - even disabling auto-updates... it just keeps on going and or kicks in again in a few seconds.

I've even tried @Kaamos_Llama's suggestion of unchecking the box that keeps it running in the background. Even with a restart it made no difference.... even physically closing the app... nothing. Keeps on ticking away at full speed.

Here are two screenshots that may help:

BTW I'm assuming all XBOX Processes/Services begin with X ????
Didn't see any starting with M for Microsoft that included Xbox sounding terms?

The XBOX App Downloads itself... Hit Pause all and it starts right back up again.
nWWbM45.png (2560×1440) (imgur.com)

Services in Task Manager

The weird thing is there doesn't appear to be any XBOX services in the main Processes Tab of Task Manager when I disabled background downloading and all that...

Except that there are a few in the Services tab as seen below. Only one of them is running.
e2okdYs.png (1006×1217) (imgur.com)

It's a real problem because I selected 1-2 dozen games doing my best to fill up my new Gaming drive - but I need to disable it sometimes to stream shows and make payments etc more easily?

And no - I really don't want to unselect them all cause I'll just have to do them all again eventually. Plus I really want to have them ready to play!

Hope someone has an answer as I can see I'm not the only one with this problem?

Thank you for your time

Last edited:
i haven't used it myself

you can also cancel downloads from the store menu
open store
click library button on bottom left
I assume Xbox games show on the Games tab
can pause and once paused. cancel download.

Go into delivery optimization settings in windows and limit how much you want to be downloaded in the background. Should do the trick.
settings/windows update/Delivery optimization/advanced options
Just remember to change the delivery optimization settings back when you want to go back to downloading games!!

you can also cancel downloads from the store menu
open store
click library button on bottom left
I assume Xbox games show on the Games tab
can pause and once paused. cancel download.

Nope - no option to pause

Go into delivery optimization settings in windows and limit how much you want to be downloaded in the background. Should do the trick.
settings/windows update/Delivery optimization/advanced options
Just remember to change the delivery optimization settings back when you want to go back to downloading games!!

Nope - I tried percentage and total mbps limits and neither made any difference?

cheers

Does your internet have a data cap that you're worried about?

No - that's not it.

There are lots of games I want to play and therefor loads to install and it takes a while even with 100mbps (not constantly flat out)...

If you can't pause - then it can screws up the internet for the whole house when Browsing, Streaming video even on my tv or pc, downstairs family's tv/pc, and more importantly - I obviously can't play fps online etc (that's what I want the most!

But even playing solo campaign (relatively offline) probably isn't ideal with hardcore downloads going all day as that's taxing the PC more than I'd prefer when gaming.

It's just insane that there is no way to stop it without cancelling the downloads and starting over.

cheers

Microsoft's game download setup is bad. Even if you download them you can't easily move them or reuse them. It creates a virtual image of the game and its on its own part of PC, I ran into it recently helping elsewhere.
Every other service lets you pause, its been a feature for years.
if they were smart they would use Battlenet to distribute them, its just better I assume.

I can remember years ago I had no idea how slow my internet really was at time and decided to upload all my music to Google Music. That didn't end well as it took 6 months... of me constantly pausing the upload every start up if I wanted any internet at all
It was only when I saw this that I saw my mistake
kJG5JPN.jpg

trying to upload 16gb of music at .23Mbps was just stupid. I did actually finish it before I upgraded my Internet.
The same process now would take an hour or so.

ISP exploit that fun difference between Megabits and Megabytes. 8 bits to a byte, 100 Megabits per second is only 12 .5 Megabytes but they don't spell that out in advertising so everyone thinks they get way more than they really do. Technically 100Mbps is slow in some countries. But when you been at slower than 1.85Mbps you don't notice a speed difference past 70Mb/s anyway. Except in download times.

Microsoft's game download setup is bad. Even if you download them you can't easily move them or reuse them. It creates a virtual image of the game and its on its own part of PC, I ran into it recently helping elsewhere.
Every other service lets you pause, its been a feature for years.
if they were smart they would use Battlenet to distribute them, its just better I assume.

I can remember years ago I had no idea how slow my internet really was at time and decided to upload all my music to Google Music. That didn't end well as it took 6 months... of me constantly pausing the upload every start up if I wanted any internet at all
It was only when I saw this that I saw my mistake
kJG5JPN.jpg

trying to upload 16gb of music at .23Mbps was just stupid. I did actually finish it before I upgraded my Internet.
The same process now would take an hour or so.

ISP exploit that fun difference between Megabits and Megabytes. 8 bits to a byte, 100 Megabits per second is only 12 .5 Megabytes but they don't spell that out in advertising so everyone thinks they get way more than they really do. Technically 100Mbps is slow in some countries. But when you been at slower than 1.85Mbps you don't notice a speed difference past 70Mb/s anyway. Except in download times.
Man, those old dial-up days sucked. I remember downloading the Duke Nukem demo that was like 5MB, and it took me a couple of hours to download that. It was so worth it, though.

dial up, 4 hour timed sessions, try to download 1 file in the time you have. Hope no one needs the phone... I still have an old phone line in this room from dial up days. The screenshot above was VDSL. I haven't really moved far, just on VDSL2 now.