Worst "oof" moments you've ever had gaming

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Oofed in Far Cry 5 last night.

My GFH and I were being hunted by a plane, which had already answered the exploratory Q "What can a little ol' plane do to us?" So we were careful to take cover, which got annoying, so I decided to see if I could snipe the pilot.

Didn't work while he flew across us, but when he turned and came at us straight for a strafing run, pop—got him!

I was chuffed at that, and stood admiring my handiwork as the plane dropped from the sky. For some reason, it didn't register where exactly the plane was going to crash…
OOF!
Got both of us, so neither could revive the other—double OOF :D

I think that's an intentional joke on Ubisoft's part. I always have to run for my life after shooting the pilot. Pretty funny.

Had a good "oof" moment last night. Was playing Craftopia and had unlocked high speed conveyor belts. Well my base was built in the air to keep animals from wandering in (I don't like the doors in Craftopia), so to get into it, you had to run up about a 70 foot ramp. I decided to replace the ramp with the new belts. After finishing, I rode the belts into the front room of my base. I turned around and right behind me was a chicken who'd also used the belts. He immediately runs into my campfire and then into me, setting me on fire. I died. The last thing I saw was a sheep arriving and running into the campfire.

I turned around and right behind me was a chicken who'd also used the belts. He immediately runs into my campfire...

I have created a memorial garden for the chicken. I was going to put this in the "Why do you play games" thread because that's just my sense of humor, but ultimately decided against it...

ct6.png

Hi, it's me again, back in the "oof" thread. I just found out I had a bit of an oof last week in Craftopia. To make a long story short, I was having serious problems with a boss fight. I died over and over and had serious thoughts to changing my difficulty from "hard" or even just giving up. I finally got him. The fight took over an hour, and if he had hit me once I would have died. I even made a bad boss thread.

After talking to people on reddit today, I found out I made some serious errors. For one, the boss is supposed to be level 100, but you are supposed to cut that in half by poisoning another character. So did I fight him at level 100 then? No. As it turns out, you can raise his level by doing something else that probably no one else would do. Not only had I done this thing, I had sort of made a day of doing it. So the boss I was supposed to fight when he was at level 50, I fought when he was at level 255.

Oof

In my defense, the game is in early access, and the story where you would learn all that stuff is not in the game yet.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Pulled an oof in X4. There's a mission to build a nice "palace" space station. The first thing on the station module list are three "faction capitals." I somehow thought these meant administration centers, which are modules that let you claim a sector nobody else has claimed. It doesn't say admin center, but I just decided that's what they meant. Then I completely ignored the whole bit about "at least one of these modules requires a special blueprint."

Naturally, the mission giver isn't interested in taking ownership of this palace, given that it doesn't have what it's supposed to have. Ooof.

My friend and I had a bit of an oof in our co-op Total War: Warhammer 2 campaign. We had both landed next to each other on a beach, right by a full stack enemy army. However, when it attacked me, his army didn't reinforce mine. We weren't sure why, but assumed it had something to do with stances or because we just landed or something, so we played through the entire battle and ended up losing.

When we decided to rewind to the last save, we first checked the stance descriptions, but that didn't mention anything. Then I asked if he was actually at war with the faction. He answered "No", without any hint of recognition that that might be a problem...

Anyway, after he declared war the same army ran away and we took their minor settlement. Their capital is next when we continue playing.

My friend and I had a bit of an oof in our co-op Total War: Warhammer 2 campaign. We had both landed next to each other on a beach, right by a full stack enemy army. However, when it attacked me, his army didn't reinforce mine. We weren't sure why, but assumed it had something to do with stances or because we just landed or something, so we played through the entire battle and ended up losing.

When we decided to rewind to the last save, we first checked the stance descriptions, but that didn't mention anything. Then I asked if he was actually at war with the faction. He answered "No", without any hint of recognition that that might be a problem...

Anyway, after he declared war the same army ran away and we took their minor settlement. Their capital is next when we continue playing.

One thing about co-op is that if someone declares war on you, you have the option to either bring all your allies in or no one. If you don't want to involve your co-op partner for some reason (he's surrounded by them, for instance) then you are mostly out of luck getting help from anyone else. I've found that most allies who would have automatically joined you are reticent to join you if you ask them separately, at least if the enemy is pretty powerful.

Reactions: Pifanjr
One thing about co-op is that if someone declares war on you, you have the option to either bring all your allies in or no one. If you don't want to involve your co-op partner for some reason (he's surrounded by them, for instance) then you are mostly out of luck getting help from anyone else. I've found that most allies who would have automatically joined you are reticent to join you if you ask them separately, at least if the enemy is pretty powerful.

The Dreadfleet faction starts at war with Carcassonne, so I didn't get a popup to ask my friend into the war.

Reactions: Krud and ZedClampet
The Dreadfleet faction starts at war with Carcassonne, so I didn't get a popup to ask my friend into the war.

Speaking of oof moments. If you want to have one, play a custom battle with unlimited money against the wood elves as anything other than a doom stack of Dread Saurians. It's infuriating. I nearly always lose, sometimes horribly.

Or maybe I'm just bad at it. Dunno.

Reactions: Krud and Pifanjr
I'm having an extended, painful "oof" in Satisfactory. I hadn't played the game since they added liquids. I decided to move water from the lake to near the coal, and it was a disaster. I should have moved the coal to the lake, which is obvious now. Everything is a complete mess from my trying to get it to work. Such a mess that it occurred to me this morning that maybe I should just start a new world.

To make matters even more fun, there are two fire-breathers along the route my water takes, and they respawn every time I make the trip. Nothing like trying to do waterflow calculations in your head and catching fire. I need to find exactly where they are spawning and place some foundations there to turn them off.

I tried to press "F" to swap something out, but pressed "G" for tossing a grenade instead.

This is why I tend not to use a controller, because I am WAY more likely to forget which button does what. With a keyboard I'm like "Okay, M is map, J is journal, C is crouch (etc)" but with a controller it's "Okay, is the left bumper my inventory, or grenades?"

• Haha
Reactions: Brian Boru
^ I'd get a keycap puller or two really small screwdrivers, and give those keycaps a wash :) and the entire keyboard as well...yeah it'd take time but it's close to having a brand new keyboard when done. Took me two days to clean my X6...not kidding!

That being said, there were times I'd tap on G instead of F in FPS games and if that game had grenades in the inventory, I usually fragged myself.

give those keycaps a wash … and the entire keyboard as well
You can put a keyboard—and many other computer boards—in a dishwasher and get good results if you allow a couple of days for thorough drying. Nope, not kidding, I can dig out a link or two if you're interested.

tap on G instead of F in FPS games and if that game had grenades in the inventory, I usually fragged myself.
Why didn't he drop from that well-executed takedown? What's that ticking sound? Where's my—
OOF!

Worst part is cleaning the bits of yourself off the screen.

^ yeah, the ticking, :LOL: , OOF! is what I'd do at first...then when it continued on other times, I'd just stare at the screen in silence. Like this;
fetchimage

As for the keyboard I have a colleague who does put their KB in the dish washer...and yes they let it dry with patience. I'm just old school...removing each keycap and then cleaning between the keys with cotton swabs. Now with mechanical keyboards, it's going to be even more intense.

Last edited:

Zloth

Community Contributor
Pah! It's just a keyboard. The poor thing has got to be ten years old by now. Toss it and buy another.

Come to think of it, I really should do that. I got a new Microsoft keyboard for work and they changed the layout some - just enough to mess me up when I switch between the two.

• Haha
Reactions: Pifanjr and Lutfij
Some of my worst OOF moments have involved save points , when you die you keep reloading the wrong one so decide to delete almost all of them , you die again only to find you deleted your most recent and best save.

Alternatively you have a game like what i am using now ( operencia ) this game and some other only have 5 saves allowed at any one time , 2 are auto saves and 3 are your own so you have to overwrite when manually saving , many a time i have overwritten the wrong one ... OUCH !

Some of my worst OOF moments have involved save points , when you die you keep reloading the wrong one so decide to delete almost all of them , you die again only to find you deleted your most recent and best save.

Alternatively you have a game like what i am using now ( operencia ) this game and some other only have 5 saves allowed at any one time , 2 are auto saves and 3 are your own so you have to overwrite when manually saving , many a time i have overwritten the wrong one ... OUCH !

That reminds me of the times I meant to load a save but accidentally saved over the last save instead (especially when using quicksaves and quickloads).

TRENDING THREADS