with an paper drawn RTS concept, what could be added, to make it great?

Jun 22, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone, I have an RTS project im working on, and i just wanted to brain storm a little. the concept of the game is that everything is played out on a single sheet of paper and you use a pencil unit to draw your kingdom. as of right now i have three races in mind, humans, orcs, and the undead.. but im trying to think of new ways to play an rts and the idea of things being drawn opens up a lot of doors.. i don't have to fit in a box world.

if anyone has any thoughts then lets talk about it

you can check it out here : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/paperwar/paper-war?ref=discovery&term=paper war

Jun 22, 2020
Visit site
to fit the theme more, instead of pre made maps, players will start on an empty map (paper) and the player will have multiple sets of forest, lakes, mountains etc that will be drawn at the beginning of the game and as they go, each area drawn carries a certain amount of resources, the forest could then be cut down and harvested. so the players will draw the map as they go along..
I know this will take exploation out of the game which is a big deal in other RTS but it will also set it apart.

Reactions: Pifanjr
to fit the theme more, instead of pre made maps, players will start on an empty map (paper) and the player will have multiple sets of forest, lakes, mountains etc that will be drawn at the beginning of the game and as they go, each area drawn carries a certain amount of resources, the forest could then be cut down and harvested. so the players will draw the map as they go along..
I know this will take exploation out of the game which is a big deal in other RTS but it will also set it apart.

I do like the idea of letting the player add map terrain and features. You can still have certain features be there from the beginning though. Things like a wet spot on the paper where you can't draw for example, or a rip in the paper that units can't cross.

Jun 22, 2020
Visit site
yes exactly, i have thought about rips in the paper and also maybe like a paperclip or something found on top of the paper that units couldn't cross and have to go around

Reactions: Pifanjr

TRENDING THREADS