Question Why isn't PC Gamer or any other news site covering Jennifer Scheurle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2020
Visit site
It seems every other day I come on here there's a news article about a video game vet getting ousted by unsubstantiated twitter rumors but right now everyone seems to have gone completely silent on Jennifer Scheurle. If you're wondering who she is, Jennifer is a Lead Game Designer at ArenaNet. After an incredibly unfortunate incident on July 5th where two BLM protesters were ran over (one of which lost their life), Jennifer took to twitter to accuse and dox a completely innocent man. Posting pictures of him and his children.

This man had nothing to do with the incident. Jennifer locked her twitter.

I get that sexual harassment and BLM are serious issues that PC Gamer covers when game industry veterans are involved, but can we also put doxxing up there? That kind of stuff leads to death threats and ruined careers. She has not made a public apology and ArenaNet hasn't said anything. Zero accountability. It feels journalists need to put pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Hveðrungr

MaddMann

A nerd that found his place
Community Contributor
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
Honestly, with the landscape we have right now, a lot of this stuff is going to get overlooked. Between the pandemic, our administration, BLM, unemployment, and rising foreign tensions, a lot of things are going to end up overlooked by the media. Doing what you are doing now is really the only way news like this will go anywhere, it will likely only be seen by those who are in the immediate community of where it is happening.

I am not saying this isn't something that folks should be aware of, I personally have left almost all forms of social media because the trial by public opinion is appalling and one of the worst things to come out of the internet. However, the most you can do is arm yourself with the facts and offer them along with your sources to those willing to listen. Important note to that however, be willing to listen yourself. These stories always have multiple sides, and it is entirely possible none of them are correct.

Jul 7, 2020
Visit site
Honestly, with the landscape we have right now, a lot of this stuff is going to get overlooked. Between the pandemic, our administration, BLM, unemployment, and rising foreign tensions, a lot of things are going to end up overlooked by the media. Doing what you are doing now is really the only way news like this will go anywhere, it will likely only be seen by those who are in the immediate community of where it is happening.

I am not saying this isn't something that folks should be aware of, I personally have left almost all forms of social media because the trial by public opinion is appalling and one of the worst things to come out of the internet. However, the most you can do is arm yourself with the facts and offer them along with your sources to those willing to listen. Important note to that however, be willing to listen yourself. These stories always have multiple sides, and it is entirely possible none of them are correct.
The issue here is that PC Gamer IS cover things like this. But there seems to be an overwhelming bias against male developers. Just searching "harassment" on the main website delivers the first article: "Women in the games industry speak out over sexual assault and harassment".

It's either that they are too afraid to cover anything that doesn't go with the "men bad, women good" narrative or that they are simply choosing to ignore it. Neither of which is good journalism.

Zloth

Community Contributor
Assuming the tweets are truly hers, then yeah, this seems like something that would be reported. "There's too much going on" doesn't really fly as there have been a few articles along these lines. It would certainly be of interest to the Guild Wars community, too.

In fact, I would think there has been enough time for any ArenaNet internal meetings to have gotten done, so this would be a good time to do a follow-up story. Did she get fired? Quit? Did anyone apologize?

Well it seems like some sites are writing up on her as you can tell with the article you shared ;).

But, after reading those tweets, i cant stand when someones like "dont watch this its too graphic". No, people NEED to watch those videos so they can get a sense of the emotion that those that were there felt as well as the anger that the family of those affected feel. You are only hurting the issue by not sharing and telling others not to watch it.

Jul 7, 2020
Visit site
In fact, I would think there has been enough time for any ArenaNet internal meetings to have gotten done, so this would be a good time to do a follow-up story. Did she get fired? Quit? Did anyone apologize?
Absolutely nothing came of it. She didn't apologize. She just brought her twitter down after the fact for about a week and then proceeded to block/delete tweets that brought up what she said when she came back. I have a feeling if journalist held her accountable the same way they did others that would not be the case..

This person, Jennifer Scheurle, is extremely toxic and she's in a leadership position. I encourage you to read her twitter. If you don't start getting a headache after the first few I would be surprised...

Well it seems like some sites are writing up on her as you can tell with the article you shared .
Two tiny unheard of blogs. Meanwhile Maxime Beland and every other accused man has dozens of articles from virtually every big media outlet, including BBC and Forbes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely nothing came of it. She didn't apologize. She just brought her twitter down after the fact for about a week and then proceeded to block/delete tweets that brought up what she said when she came back. I have a feeling if journalist held her accountable the same way they did others that would not be the case..

This person, Jennifer Scheurle, is extremely toxic and she's in a leadership position. I encourage you to read her twitter. If you don't start getting a headache after the first few I would be surprised...

Two tiny unheard of blogs. Meanwhile Maxime Beland and every other accused man has dozens of articles from virtually every big media outlet, including BBC and Forbes.

Source:
View: https://i.imgur.com/o11ZG5T.jpg

that's why i put the winky face there lol, i noticed it was some small blog but just imagine what isnt even covered by small blogs if something like this is barely noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS