Why I became a PC gamer

May 21, 2020
Visit site
I decided to shy away from the console world due to too many disappointing not to mention expensive aggravations. My first ever gaming platform I got was the ps3 and I was quite happy with the machine over its lifetime. Sadly it’s days is done and other than your old games all it will run is Netflix...... for now. I also purchased a used Xbox 360 and did not like it as much. It seemed like it always wanted money for this that or the next thing. Fast forward to the next gen. I decided to go ps4 as they made some fantastic promises more notably the free online servers.

But this proved to be false. Anyway I shyed away from Xbox 1 as I heard it was a money hungry box in your living room. I held off quite awhile buying my ps4 as I heard they were have trouble with the cpu sockets. So when I finally went down to Best Buy to get mine they said hey we have a heck of a deal on a used one with a game! 300 bucks. So I went home with it played and hour and it **** the bed went right back it did. So I had to pay 500 and change for a new and no game. My ass was a bit sore.

So fast forward 3 weeks the announce the ps4 pro and I figure no big deal it will be more expensive when it comes out. Wrong again the dropped the regular ps4 and put this pro at what I payed for mine. The final straw was with this covid I decided to get the ps plus so I could game online which I normally don’t bother with. I purchased 3 months and then I find out that it has been auto renewing the 3 month subscription which is stupid and way more money than a full year. So with all the money wasted on console I could have a decent gaming rig with upgrade abilities and customization. It will be interesting to see how much the new consoles will be. They could price themselves out of a market.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 21, 2020
Visit site
Lol I haven’t really built one yet I have a Lenovo m39p sff office computer with a ZOTAC gtx 1650 stuffed into it. It has a i5-4590 quad core running at 3.5 ghz. 350 Canadian dollars so far. My plan is to eventually build one from scratch. I will re use my GPU in the new build with the plan of upgrading in the future. I feel that before tackling such a feet I have a fair bit to learn. Thinking of getting building pcs for dummies lol

Zloth

Community Contributor
Consoles definitely have a place. PCs need some love and research. For a console, you just buy one and it plays your games for a few years. Done. No fuss, no mess. No mods, either, but if you're that into games you should go for a PC.

May 21, 2020
Visit site
Well mods make an old game last that is for sure. They basically put out a new console every 5 year. PS4 PS4 pro and now ps5. A computer will last at least 10 years and if built with the future in mind is upgradable

If I understand it correctly you have to pay for getting online while using PS4/Xbox. So, not only do you need to pay your internet provider, but you also need a membership to play online games. I never understood that and think that kind of sucks.

It's not just online gaming you pay more for on consoles, the price of most cross platform games at launch is higher than on PC. The only real reason to buy a console is if you're dead set on playing their exclusives that you can't play on PC.

May 21, 2020
Visit site
If I understand it correctly you have to pay for getting online while using PS4/Xbox. So, not only do you need to pay your internet provider, but you also need a membership to play online games. I never understood that and think that kind of sucks.
Yes they say it so they can have dedicated servers or something like that it’s like 80 bucks a year or 30 something for 3 months

Reactions: Frindis
Don't bother with the books, just check out PC gaming build videos on YouTube.
The problem with that advice is some of the advice on Youtube is bad. A Verge video comes to mind. Knowing who to watch is key.

at op: I can't tell you names as people have favorites and might jump on me for not saying them. But generally people that only do build videos are likely to be the ones to look at.

I am a mod on Toms Hardware, we deal with people coming to us saying "I followed advice on X video" and we have to figure out how to fix it. We often wish they would just come to us first. Realises Frag is from Tom's lol.

on topic: I became a PC gamer cause i did a PC course in 1999 and it was obvious to buy a PC at that time. Mind you, I also had a PS3/PS4 as I don't see need to choose a side. I won't be getting a PS5. I need a new PC before I look at anything else.

Last edited:
The problem with that advice is some of the advice on Youtube is bad. A Verge video comes to mind. Knowing who to watch is key.
That is true, and I usually DO offer links to videos that show and explain extensive details, The one I often refer to is the two part gaming PC build video the guys at Newegg did, because part 2 covers the OS, drivers, etc installs, and software is a common thing people new to PCs struggle with.

Reactions: Farmerjackson