Why doesn't anyone update their graphics cards?

May 29, 2023
Visit site
Why doesn't anyone update their graphics cards? For those who have been asking this question for a long time, rejoice, I found the answer.Even though it looks like spam, please read the video, otherwise keep asking questions

Reactions: Sarafan
For those who have been asking this question for a long time
Only people I've heard asking this are the GPU and graphics card manufacturers, plus a few high-end game devs. Do you know of any others?

I found the answer
Me too. It's ta-raa… people are not generally idiots. There are only a small percentage willing to spend more on a graphics card than they've ever spent on a full PC build.

There are of course a few who have the spare cash, for whom this doesn't apply.

I should probably make a video about this…

Got a 3080. With the way prices are now, I am not going to upgrade my gpu for a very long time.
Myself as well. My 3080 runs everything I need it too, generally on a mix of high & ultra when those types of graphics settings are available in a game. I don't see the 4060s, 4070s, or even the 4080 as being enough of a technological leap to warrant an upgrade. And the 4090 is just stupidly expensive; I refuse to pay that kind of money for a graphics card. I'll being pushing my 3080 for several more years.

I should probably make a video about this…
Will I be able to read it? :)

Will I be able to read it

Brian might use big text so maybe

this starting to feel like elderly abuse... I might change the subject... :)

Nvidia ignoring GPU market because they making ludicrous profits on AI is bad news for most people who want a new GPU that doesn't cost as much as their PC, and who don't know other makers actually make GPU... as Nvidia just reduce number made instead of reducing prices. Its only when they stop making a killing on AI that they might update cards. I don't expect much from any low end 50 series cards... the 5090 will be amazing but also cost as much as you could buy a car for when I was a kid. Nvidia GPU division losing 38% last year but when you can sell 1 system for 200k USD, who cares about selling 4060 TI.

AMD not much better, hard to say since they only announced top end and possibly bottom end of their current line up. They too making money off AI but they haven't got the same type of products as Nvidia, they can sell CPU as well.

Intel are 3rd GPU maker and their cards are getting better. They good at RT, but will always lack years of optimisations for older games released years before they made cards

Currently their cards are competing for low end of market

Reactions: mainer and Sarafan

Sarafan

Community Contributor
I just did.
Me too... :ROFLMAO: GPUs are getting expensive, but I wouldn't count this will change in the future. It's quite the opposite. There's no reason to think that in the long term the prices will be more affordable in average. We have inflation not deflation and a potential military conflict in Taiwan. Of course if someone has GeForce RTX 3080, there's almost no reason to do an upgrade now. But when the next generation is released it may be advisable if you want to play in decent graphics quality. But it won't be cheaper for sure...

Every time I need a new GPU I buy an entire new computer instead because opening them to fit new parts is scary.

That seems excessive. :)

How serious a problem do you think that could be? Wouldn't the cards being in newer rigs counteract old optimization issues?
not everyone buys brand new PC to just play new games. Some of us like to see what performance difference you get on older games, and always assume it will be better on new PC... and post about it on forums if it doesn't.

Depends on what the changes made were as to how well Intel cards will run I guess.

Reactions: Brian Boru
I upgraded a few months ago, but to a previous generation card. Currently this generation cards are either
  • top end and way too expensive
  • mid range, too expensive, underpowered and underspecced.
  • lower range, too expensive and underspecced (really 8gb on a 4060ti???)
  • yet to be released (and will probably be too expensive...)
The only reason the 7600 is not a good card is it's 8gb. If it had 12gb on a slighted improved bus at a slightly higher price it would be a killer 1080p card.

But if your playing at 1440p there still is nothing this generation that is worthwile.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jun 27, 2023
Visit site
Why doesn't anyone update their graphics cards? For those who have been asking this question for a long time, rejoice, I found the answer.Even though it looks like spam, please read the video, otherwise keep asking questions
Too expensive. I bought an Xbox Series X to get around it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts