Question Which rx 6600 xt is better ?

Page 2 - Love gaming? Join the PC Gamer community to share that passion with gamers all around the world!
Mar 10, 2023
Visit site
This Asus Tuf has a good review from Aris and is Tier B according to the Tier list for 2000

I wrote them about this product and they told me this.
Hello this is a refubrished therefore it was probably returned by the customer or had damaged packaging within 14days re-tested by the manufacturer .
the power supply comes with a full warranty is in oem packaging may have minor cosmetic defects.

Do u think its good ? Thank you.

I wrote them about this product and they told me this.
Hello this is a refubrished therefore it was probably returned by the customer or had damaged packaging within 14days re-tested by the manufacturer .
the power supply comes with a full warranty is in oem packaging may have minor cosmetic defects.

Do u think its good ? Thank you.
If theyre offering a full warranty and its been tested by Asus I would think it should be good.

Just came to me, whats model of case you have? You should check the manufacturers website for max PSU size supported just to be sure.

Reactions: Brian Boru
It should fit, and is cheaper than it should be but a shame about the shorter warranty.

Another option if the warranty on the Asus bothers you @pitrisin is this one which will work fine with room to spare, and has a 5 year warranty at Tier B:

I honestly don't want to argue with @Lutfij :) but I do disagree with you on the PSU headroom side of things here and I'll lay out my reasons and data here as to why. OP can make their own mind up.

To be clear I fully support a PSU upgrade here, as the original unit we were working with was not good quality and old and outside warranty to boot.

GPU manufacturers always inflate PSU requirements because they know some people will be using trash tier no name PSU's that have X number of Watts on the label but actually only provide a fraction of that on the 12v rail. Also you have an I5 and they have to account for random people potentially trying to use I7's and I9's with the cards which really eat a lot of power these days.

I5 11400F here 130Watts fully loaded under a stress test at stock for total system power (including motherboard and drives etc). 280W if power limits removed (overclocked basically)

RX 6600XT Merc Speedster 169W with around 200W transient spike.

200+280= 480W at full stress on GPU and overclocked CPU (rarely if ever happens in gaming).

You'll see that Techpowerup has a PSU recommendation for the Merc 6600XT at the top of those tables based on their test results, 500W minimum.

In reality under a gaming situation peak usage would be more like 300 W if you're not removing power limits. Even if you are, outside of running a CPU stress test you're talking around 400W under normal gaming use.

You can also use the only close to accurate PSU calculator there is here and plug in every piece of equipment you have down to the voltages used if you use the advanced version, its quite conservative as well. The results will be accurate as long as you buy a decent quality PSU that can output its stated wattage on the 12v rail.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023
Visit site
It should fit, and is cheaper than it should be but a shame about the shorter warranty.

Another option if the warranty on the Asus bothers you @pitrisin is this one which will work fine with room to spare, and has a 5 year warranty at Tier B:

I honestly don't want to argue with @Lutfij :) but I do disagree with you on the PSU headroom side of things here and I'll lay out my reasons and data here as to why. OP can make their own mind up.

To be clear I fully support a PSU upgrade here, as the original unit we were working with was not good quality and old and outside warranty to boot.

GPU manufacturers always inflate PSU requirements because they know some people will be using trash tier no name PSU's that have X number of Watts on the label but actually only provide a fraction of that on the 12v rail. Also you have an I5 and they have to account for random people potentially trying to use I7's and I9's with the cards which really eat a lot of power these days.

I5 11400F here 130Watts fully loaded under a stress test at stock for total system power (including motherboard and drives etc). 280W if power limits removed (overclocked basically)

RX 6600XT Merc Speedster 169W with around 200W transient spike.

200+280= 480W at full stress on GPU and overclocked CPU (rarely if ever happens in gaming).

You'll see that Techpowerup has a PSU recommendation for the Merc 6600XT at the top of those tables based on their test results, 500W minimum.

In reality under a gaming situation peak usage would be more like 300 W if you're not removing power limits. Even if you are, outside of running a CPU stress test you're talking around 400W under normal gaming use.

You can also use the only close to accurate PSU calculator there is here and plug in every piece of equipment you have down to the voltages used if you use the advanced version, its quite conservative as well. The results will be accurate as long as you buy a decent quality PSU that can output its stated wattage on the 12v rail.
What u think about this ? https://www.alza.cz/seasonic-g12-gc-650-gold-d6453551.htm

Its made by Andyson (not highly rated OEM generally), has no good reviews out there. Rumours of poor transient response from word of mouth, and suffers from OPP/OCP issues with newer Nvidia cards.

Generally if a unit performs well at their price point companies aren't shy about sending units out for proper testing.

Believe me I looked at every PSU on that site near to 2000. :)

• Love
I'll accept where I'm wrong, it's what I as a human being have to accept! No offence taken, nor meant to be conveyed.

EVGA tend to have hit or miss units within their own top of the line series of units. I'd avoid them unless you're certain the seller has abundant stock of the unit and seller is honoring their warranty policy as I've had to deal with some instances where a product went out of stock and I was left hanging until the next consignment came along. Not trying to rain on EVGA's brand reputation but if they work, they are solid for years, well into their warranty scheme. If it fails, well, they don't work.

Often times a refurbished PSU is one that exhibited an anomaly on the user's end and the issue wasn't reciprocated on the sellers end(in their lab/workbench)...or the unit was simply returned without stating the real cause of returning it. Either which way, it's cheaper to restock the unit at a lower price than to send it back to the brand and have them look at it.

Among those reasons, there's also missing cables or dents/scratches. You might get lucky and actually get a refurb unit that was merely sent back since the initial user needed a higher wattage, similar make/designed unit then again you're pairing said PSU with a GPU that's worth 400USD and something similar(if not, more) with the rest of your hardware in your build.

I'd pick the unit that's brand new with the longer warranty. No point gambling on (the PC)what would be someone's salary for 2 months.

But the be quiet one only has 600w But the asus tuf one has 750w. And according to official xfx sources, it is at least 650w.

If you read the spoiler in my earlier post you can see why GPU manufacturers always overstate the PSU requirements. Sites like Techpowerup use a lot of expensive equipment and time to find the real numbers to people who are willing to look.

I understand why its hard to trust some rando on the internet over the manufacturer, thats why I tried to show the numbers that I'm basing my advice on.

Some more reviews of that GPU showing power use.

All around 170 Watts for the card.

I5 11400F power use

Around 100 watts for just the stock CPU without mobo and other components

https://www.techspot.com/review/2232-intel-core-i5-11400f/

180W Total System running blender to max out all cores at stock.

200W total system.

• Love
I wouldn't trust a PSU that only has a 2 year warranty either. If they don't trust it to work longer than that, why buy it? My last 2 PSU have 10 year warranties, shame I replaced the 1st one within 3 years but that wasn't its doing, it was me needing more power than it can supply... possibly.

TPU still show the wrong info for my GPU, say it needs 3 x 8 pin when really its only 2.
So they don't test all the hardware, they do take the word of the maker in some cases

I wouldn't trust a PSU that only has a 2 year warranty either. If they don't trust it to work longer than that, why buy it? My last 2 PSU have 10 year warranties, shame I replaced the 1st one within 3 years but that wasn't its doing, it was me needing more power than it can supply... possibly.

TPU still show the wrong info for my GPU, say it needs 3 x 8 pin when really its only 2.
So they don't test all the hardware, they do take the word of the maker in some cases

They test all hardware in their reviews, but they keep a database of almost everything every released with tech specs, and anyone can make a typo ;)

if its anything like my card, the default bios is actually the OC one and the other is the slower. It seems a common thing on AMD GPU to ship at fastest speed. Only real difference on my card is when in OC mode, the fans are always on.

"If you have a graphics card that features Dual BIOS with a Performance and Silent setting, the card will ship in the performance mode by default. The Performance BIOS position is where the switched is toggled closer to the PCI-E power connections. The Silent Mode is the where the switch is toggled in the direction of the monitor outputs."
link
Also some indications it might be just a back up bios. So they are the same.

This review found same bios on both switch positions -

This model card is equipped with a dual BIOS. Currently, both BIOS positions are the same BIOS. There are no differences at this time.

if you ever update the BIOS on the card, make sure its the right file. I have seen AMD cards that have the wrong bios on them. It works as the hardware underneath is mostly the same.

the description of where the switch is pointed makes me think they need to agree on terms, like... which is front of the GPU? That then depends on orientation but logically the front should be the part of GPU closest to front of PC (not side panel) so if you said the OC switch is closest to front and the silent is pointing towards rear, most sane people wouldn't look at the back plate...

vertical mounts make people think the fans are the front of GPU and we should put rgb light on the fans... but most people don't have vertical mounts and the lights just end up lighting the PSU shroud... oh wait, that is me
YooBsCv.jpg

photo shows glass is dusty inside I guess. Its why I normally take the glass off for photos.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS