Which path to become a Game Developer?

Sep 18, 2021
Visit site
Google Translation

I am a young person who had the baccalaureate and I like to enter a world of video games and I want to be a developer of a video game, what method can I use?, What should I do? what are the means to get into it? . if I am mistaken, give me a way or links to go there in this area, thank you for the person who replied to this links.

Je suis un jeune qui a eu le bacc et j'aime bien entrer dans un univers des jeux vidéos et je veux être un développeur d'un jeux vidéo, quelle méthode je peux utiliser?,que dois-je faire? quels sont les moyens pour entrer dedants ? . si je trompe donner moi un moyen ou des liens por y aller dans cette domaine , merci pour les personne qui ont repondue a cette liens .

[Mod edit: changed title for clarity, moved English to top, moved to better forum.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any skills in:
Coding;
Art;
Audio & Music;
Writing?

A few links for you to check out:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK7RPn5bPus

Reactions: Zloth and mainer

lokamahe

BANNED
Jan 10, 2022
Visit site
What degree did you obtain? BA, BS, or any else? It's great that you already have a university degree. If you want to develop video games, I suppose, you have to sign up for an online course or find the relevant information on the Internet and study alone (the latter option requires a lot of motivation and desire to obtin this qualification).

I'm sure a degree may help in some regard but much like anything in the arts digital or not you need a portfolio. There is tons of tutorials for free on line to help develop your skills. As much hate as people love to give Epic Games, they give you access to there engine and tutorials to help you learn to use it. If you truly have a passion for making games than I recommend you start with the free tutorials and engines that are out there. I can only speak for the country I live in, but game degree mills are a dime a dozen. Your gonna need a good portfolio and skills to stand out.

Reactions: Brian Boru
Jan 11, 2022
Visit site
It really depends on what you are interested in. Which genre(s) of games? Which aspects of game creation? Which platforms?

As a very general answer, some popular and free (at least to start with) game engines are:
  • Unity (2D and 3D games, scripting mainly in C#, supports deployment to a wide variety of platforms including consoles and mobile).
  • Unreal Engine (3D games, scripting mainly in C++, wide variety of platforms including consoles and mobile).
  • Godot Engine (2D and 3D games, scripting mainly in Python-like GDScript , wide variety of platforms including consoles and mobile).
Getting acquainted with some or all of those is a great way to start.

GameMaker Studio 2 is not free, but it might be a bit less daunting engine to get started with. There are also many more genre specific engines. For example Ren'Py is a solid free option for visual novels.

For 3D graphics, the best free option is Blender. Learning the ropes with it is likely to be useful regardless of what you will end up using later. For 2D graphics, I have not yet found a viable free option; Adobe's Photoshop (bitmap) and Illustrator (vector) are not cheap nor without problems, but they are widely used options.

Last edited:
  • Love
It really depends
Great post, thanks :)

GameMaker Studio 2 is not free, but it might be a bit less daunting engine to get started with
I haven't done any dev yet, but have been reading and taking notes for years. I agree that GMS would be an easier start than the 3 big engines, of which Unreal appears to be the most difficult and capable for 3D.

A mistake many beginners make in any field like this is biting off more than they can chew. Start with a small project, and get a motivating win under your belt. Starting with a big Unreal project is almost definitely setting yourself up for a very discouraging failure.

For 2D graphics, I have not yet found a viable free option
From my Art notes:

Marmoset Toolbag
Substance Designer
Substance Painter
Bitmap2Material
3D Software
- Blender **
- Daz3D ++
Krita
Illustrator Alts 2020

Hmm, can't get links to paste in here, but all should be easily findable. The only one we've looked at a bit here is Krita, which seems excellent.

Adobe's Photoshop (bitmap) and Illustrator (vector)
We don't have heavy image processing needs, but we've found Paint Shop Pro for bitmaps and Inkscape for vector to be very capable.

Jan 11, 2022
Visit site
A mistake many beginners make in any field like this is biting off more than they can chew. Start with a small project, and get a motivating win under your belt.

This is very true indeed. :)

Marmoset Toolbag
Substance Designer
Substance Painter
Bitmap2Material
. . .
- Daz3D ++
Krita

Just a quick note regarding these: Marmoset Toolbag is (at least primarily) one of the many possible tool sets for 3D artists, it is not free and I am not a professional 3D artist so I have not tried it. Substance Designer & Painter as well as Bitmap2Material are parts of Adobe's similar tool set called Adobe Substance 3D, again not free so no experience. Daz3D is a company, their main product is Daz Studio (+ a modeler called Hexagon), it is an old 3D graphics tool best suited for creating 3D human models, very limited but free and relatively easy to use. There are great many other tools for 3D artists, but hopefully someone using them professionally will at some point provide a more comprehensive overview here.

Krita was a new one to me, thanks for the tip. It seems to be designed primarily for 2D painting. As for other free 2D bitmap graphics tools, Paint.net is a fine simple tool for Windows, as is Gimp for Windows and other platforms.

2D and 3D graphics and game engines are of course not nearly everything there's to game development. If one plans to make a narrative-driven game, Scrivener is a great tool for crafting more complicated stories. If someone is knowledgeable about the audio side of games, I'd be very interested to learn more about it.

• Love